Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Please don't......

MarxistMountaineer
School: Appalachian State

Re: Please don't......

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:59 pm

It's not that this game was a close dogfight throughout where someone just had to get beat. We were THOROUGHLY better all 60 minutes

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:05 pm

MarxistMountaineer wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:59 pm
It's not that this game was a close dogfight throughout where someone just had to get beat. We were THOROUGHLY better all 60 minutes
This somes it up dude. Nothing more to be said. Thank you for boiling my bile and anger down so eloquently!!!!

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:12 pm

What frustrates me about this game is that a lot of what I heard and read coming into it was all about how App had a shot, but the superior talent on Wake's team would give them the edge. And that's not what I saw. I think we looked very talented, but sloppy as hell on a number of occasions. That's not a good look if you want to come away from a loss with your head held high.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:16 pm

We are a good team, however, great teams find a way to win! Guess we'll have to settle for being a good Sun Belt Team. Nothing more, nothing less.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:16 pm

I compliment everyone for staying to the bitter end. After the missed extra point, most of knew what was coming. We'd seen that movie too many times before.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Nothing to do with talent, we just plain blew it. We we better all over the damn field. This is different than losing to stAte IMO.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:42 pm
Soooooo many discipline issues. Too many to even count. Discipline has been an issue in every single game so far this year. That is 100% all on coaching.

And no one try to say "this game isn't on Rubino" either. He left 7 points on the board tonight. He blew it. He's our kicker and I support him, but this is his third year here now. It's okay to blame games on him.
I hate to break it to you but Rubinho is on the hook for only one of those blocks. We have a problem in the middle of our blocking scheme. Rubinho can only put the ball up to clear the line but if they get the ball at or from inside the point of attack, then there is a different issue. Our long snapper is not big enough to contain. The person listed on our depth chart as the long snapper is something like 245 lbs. He may not be big enough th handle the rush.

MarxistMountaineer

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 pm
Soooooo many discipline issues. Too many to even count. Discipline has been an issue in every single game so far this year. That is 100% all on coaching.

And no one try to say "this game isn't on Rubino" either. He left 7 points on the board tonight. He blew it. He's our kicker and I support him, but this is his third year here now. It's okay to blame games on him.
I hate to break it to you but Rubinho is on the hook for only one of those blocks. We have a problem in the middle of our blocking scheme. Rubinho can only put the ball up to clear the line but if they get the ball at or from inside the point of attack, then there is a different issue. Our long snapper is not big enough to contain. The person listed on our depth chart as the long snapper is something like 245 lbs. He may not be big enough th handle the rush.
He literally had two chances at it. He's on the hook for at least two. I haven't seen a replay of the last one and I kinda hope I never do, it may not have been his fault. But he got the first one up and away and just missed. Had he made it, we could have declined the offsides.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 pm

AppSt94 wrote:

Therefore,coaching problem??

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Un freaking believe. Choked. How in the hell does an interior guy just fall offsides on a damn punt. That was it

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 pm
AppSt94 wrote:

He literally had two chances at it. He's on the hook for at least two. I haven't seen a replay of the last one and I kinda hope I never do, it may not have been his fault. But he got the first one up and away and just missed. Had he made it, we could have declined the offsides.
True, not his fault we did not win, but he could have been the hero

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:34 pm

couldn't decline the offsides because the whistle blew ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:46 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 pm
AppSt94 wrote:

Therefore,coaching problem??
I will pose a completely different and more horrific source of the problem, he may be our best and or only option.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:48 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:31 pm
Un freaking believe. Choked. How in the hell does an interior guy just fall offsides on a damn punt. That was it
If you go back and look at it he was lined up offsides and never corrected himself. He was standing and wasn't in a stance.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:48 pm

WVAPPeer wrote: couldn't decline the offsides because the whistle blew ---
Dead ball foul. On post game show, Pierre said the first kick was good.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:50 pm

I'm not sure what Pierre saw, but it looked wider left than the kick at the end of the half.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:52 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:50 pm
I'm not sure what Pierre saw, but it looked wider left than the kick at the end of the half.
It was definitely wide left. In fact, immediately after the kick they cut to the student section and you could clearly read the lips of a male student yelling to his buddies about how far left the kick was.
YNWA

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:54 pm

You have to wonder if he was anticipating where the protection breakdown was coming from and tried to guide it.

Unread post by 8993 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:57 pm

I've been trying to stay calm and collect all of my thoughts on tonight's game and I think I've finally done it, so here's what I'm thinking:

- We need to get back to the fundamentals of the game. We were better than Wake tonight, yes, but the final score didn't show that. We are making extremely careless mistakes way too often and the team has not been playing with their heads, but playing too much with their hearts. You can tell that they want to win, but winning requires both your head and your heart, not just one of them.

- There were some really great moments tonight when it came to play calling, but there were also some really weak moments. I'm not sure if we're reading our opponents as well as we need to be or if we're just not studying up on them before the day of the game. There were a number of occasions where we practically fed into Wake's strengths rather than capitalizing on our own strengths.

- I love Scott and support him 150%, but until the team he is coaching can win some of these tougher games, I don't know if he is going to get a call up to a bigger P5 school. We play one or two P5 games a year, yet we don't win any of them. Since joining the Belt, we have lost in all P5 games (Michigan, Clemson, Tennessee, Miami, Georgia, and now WF). We have to win one or two of these games for him to be considered for a bigger job, so that's a double edged sword for us and for him.

- In the same vein, we can't lose games like this. I know that Wake Forest is not the same Wake Forest from a few years ago, but the careless mistakes we made tonight cost us the game. If we want to be considered a top ten G5 program, we have to beat those "bottom of the barrel" P5s and we didn't do that tonight. We may have looked better, but the score at the end of the game is what creates the record, not who looks better in the replays.

- I really don't know what to say about Rubino. I know that he can only work with what he's got, but this is his third year at Appalachian and he left seven points on the board tonight. Missing the extra point was one thing. Missing a field goal is a whole other thing. If that had been me, after the missed extra point, I'd give the back-up a chance to see what he can do, not to punish Rubino, but to let him recollect himself. One thing that I have noticed with Rubino is that the amount of pressure that is on him gets to him, so either he needs to be worked through that, or they need to start relying on other special team players to finish strong.

- The crowd and students were great today. The place was pretty jam packed the entire time, but we still need to work on keeping butts in seats after halftime, as there were notably less people after the first half. Regardless, the crowd was loud, passionate, and energetic. To make it all better, the entire stadium FINALLY got the "APP>>>STATE" chant right! That was an awesome moment.

All in all, great game with disappointing results. I'm not embarrassed by the team, but I am disappointed in the lack of precision we have at times. Again, we need to get back to fundamentals. Making bone headed mistakes will not get us to another bowl game win. Making bone headed mistakes will end up putting us in the loss column game after game. These boys aren't just playing for the names on their backs or the team that's behind them, but they're playing for all of Appalachian State and we believe in them. They just need to take a step back and reflect on tonight rather than pointing the finger elsewhere.

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:57 pm

7 points left off the board due to Special Teams blunders. That's the difference, that's it. We were the better team and it was evident after Wake's opening drive. Sun Belt better look out, because this team is going to be on a mission.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”