Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCC football dumpster fire

Deano
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNCC football dumpster fire

Unread post by Deano » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:53 am

JMappfan5 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:23 am
We have a lot to gain by playing UNC-Concord. Charlotte & surrounding area is a "hotbed" for recruiting; we also go "head-to-head" against them for recruits; Charlotte has a large media outlet/market and this will help with our exposure; it's a G5 game that is travel-able for our fan base!!! I will be there and proudly supporting my APPS!!!
From what I have heard from recent Football recruits, UNC Charlotte puts on a great first impression (Campus and Atmosphere) even better than APPS, but for right now, what changes some of their minds is that the UNC Charlotte football program is in the garbage right now. If App has some rough years down the road (hopefully not) that could change. I have a recruit right now for 2018 and for him it has come down to UNC Charlotte and APP. Everytime I bring up the tradition and exposure ASU Football could give him, he understands but also brings up something he likes about Charlotte.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:24 am

Deano wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:53 am
JMappfan5 wrote:
We have a lot to gain by playing UNC-Concord. Charlotte & surrounding area is a "hotbed" for recruiting; we also go "head-to-head" against them for recruits; Charlotte has a large media outlet/market and this will help with our exposure; it's a G5 game that is travel-able for our fan base!!! I will be there and proudly supporting my APPS!!!
From what I have heard from recent Football recruits, UNC Charlotte puts on a great first impression (Campus and Atmosphere) even better than APPS, but for right now, what changes some of their minds is that the UNC Charlotte football program is in the garbage right now. If App has some rough years down the road (hopefully not) that could change. I have a recruit right now for 2018 and for him it has come down to UNC Charlotte and APP. Everytime I bring up the tradition and exposure ASU Football could give him, he understands but also brings up something he likes about Charlotte.
Did he mentioned that their field doesn't have a track around it?

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:33 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:24 am
Deano wrote:
JMappfan5 wrote:
Nope, doesn't seem to bother him. :D

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:27 pm
I've seen us lose to Liberty and A&T at home.
I've also seen us lose to Wofford three weeks after beating Michigan.

Point is, it's football and anything can happen. I'm all for being proud of our team and being confident that we can do what we need to do, but some of ya'll sound A LOT like the UNC and ECU folks. Too high and mighty. I do think UNCC probably moved up too early, but that's not the fault of their fans. And while they've got plenty of loud mouths...so do we.

Personally, I want them to be good because it'll force us to be even better. The Belt sucks this year and I fear that may continue. If so, we may slowly let off the gas in our program due to lack of strong, constant competition. Having someone in our backyard like UNCC breathing down our neck only forces us to be better.
I don't know, Boise, LSU and Ohio State among others seem to have done OK without any major in-state competitors over the years. Meanwhile UNC and State have been fighting tooth and nail for decades, yet neither of them ever seems to win anything big. I don't see how winning would make us "let off the gas," and I don't see how UNCC being good would make us better since they aren't in our league.

I do, however, see how them being good could hurt our recruiting. Which is why I'm all for kicking them while they're down, starting next year.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:20 am

Deano wrote:
JMappfan5 wrote:
Would be interested to hear your insights on what kids find appealing about UNCC. I'd expect they'd focus on the urban setting - that certainly is a differentiator from somewhere like App, one way or the other.

I haven't seen the campus in years, but 20 years ago when I was taking campus tours to decide where I wanted to apply, I checked out five in-state schools, and UNCC's campus was by far the least appealing to me.

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:20 am
Deano wrote:
JMappfan5 wrote:
Would be interested to hear your insights on what kids find appealing about UNCC. I'd expect they'd focus on the urban setting - that certainly is a differentiator from somewhere like App, one way or the other.

I haven't seen the campus in years, but 20 years ago when I was taking campus tours to decide where I wanted to apply, I checked out five in-state schools, and UNCC's campus was by far the least appealing to me.
I haven't been on UNCC's campus in awhile but from what I am hearing because my stepson is going there and of course from feedback of some recruits is that UNCC in the last 10 years has been building like gangbusters, Most of the campus is brand new. I get from people that take a campus tour is that they just have a great "feeling" when they go there. Yes their stadium is small but from what I understand they have plans to build on, even though fan support has been low due to bad football. Lots of activities for students to include the city of Charlotte also help.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:36 am

I was actually talking to a coworker who's a UNCC grad (probably in his late 20s) about student life the other day. He basically said what others here say - that the school wants to encourage students to take part in campus life more, but it's still really a commuter school. He said they had a plan to begin rail service from campus to downtown, which they hoped would encourage students to stick around on weekends and make it easier to enjoy the city, but the plan fell through.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:22 am

The light rail between the UNCC area and downtown is in the final stages of being built and will actually allow riders to go between UNCC and south Charlotte. We toured UNCC about 4 years ago with my daughter and the campus is impressive. Lots of new buildings, especially dorms and student services (cafeterias, student centers, etc). Also lots of on campus parking. Most students have parking available at their dorms, but I also see the need for a car at UNCC much more than you do at APP. UNCW is similar in that they have plenty of available land to build on, which App does not. I think App has done well with what they have to work with, but most of the dorms are old and outdated. They are limited to how much you can update them because you can't move cinder block support walls, it is more of tear down and rebuild.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:10 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:36 am
I was actually talking to a coworker who's a UNCC grad (probably in his late 20s) about student life the other day. He basically said what others here say - that the school wants to encourage students to take part in campus life more, but it's still really a commuter school. He said they had a plan to begin rail service from campus to downtown, which they hoped would encourage students to stick around on weekends and make it easier to enjoy the city, but the plan fell through.

Light rail is almost done and on campus.

I don't think our two schools will ever really compete for recruits. Hear me out when I say that because I mean it differently than it sounds.

Certainly we will "compete" for recruits. But we will attract far different ones. Suppose all things football are equal, APP and UNCC still offer greatly different experiences for a college student athlete.

If a kid has a bunch of offers and really wants the city life, he will take Charlotte over App. Being able to say, live in NoDa and ride the train to class and practice everyday, would be super cool for some students. Or being able to go to a club or Panthers games.

If the kid loves the outdoors, the idea of a college town and a more intimate campus, he would choose App.

I think our schools are so vastly different that they attract different kinds of kids. And at least for the next 30-40 years, we will be able to sell tradition/history over UNCC.
YNWA

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:23 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:10 pm
EastHallApp wrote:

I don't think our two schools will ever really compete for recruits. Hear me out when I say that because I mean it differently than it sounds.

Certainly we will "compete" for recruits. But we will attract far different ones. Suppose all things football are equal, APP and UNCC still offer greatly different experiences for a college student athlete.

If a kid has a bunch of offers and really wants the city life, he will take Charlotte over App. Being able to say, live in NoDa and ride the train to class and practice everyday, would be super cool for some students. Or being able to go to a club or Panthers games.

If the kid loves the outdoors, the idea of a college town and a more intimate campus, he would choose App.

I think our schools are so vastly different that they attract different kinds of kids. And at least for the next 30-40 years, we will be able to sell tradition/history over UNCC.
We already compete regularly with Georgia State and ODU for recruits, including some who've flipped from one to the other. No doubt there's an urban/rural contrast but that's one of many factors, plus it's not always as black and white as loving one or the other.

And recruits don't care what you did 30 years ago, they care what you're doing now.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:50 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:23 pm
ah59396 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:10 pm
EastHallApp wrote:

We already compete regularly with Georgia State and ODU for recruits, including some who've flipped from one to the other. No doubt there's an urban/rural contrast but that's one of many factors, plus it's not always as black and white as loving one or the other.

And recruits don't care what you did 30 years ago, they care what you're doing now.
Disagree with your second statement. I assure you there are recruits to whom program tradition matter. Just as I assure you there are others that like the idea of establishing traditions. And others that could give two shits about tradition at all and just want to play football.

Part of the challenge or recruiting is that each kid has different interests and preferences.
YNWA

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:12 pm

That's fair ah. It was a broad generalization. I just think that in general recruits care more about who's been good in their memory than before they were born.

If in 10 years UNCC is winning 9-10 games a year and we're losing, I doubt we'll land many recruits by telling them stories about John Settle and Dexter Coakley.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Maybe it's a similar comparison, but it's a little like Georgia Southern and Georgia State. You've got one school out in the sticks with a nice storied football program while a few hours down the road you have another school in a major metropolitan area with a relatively new football program which can't seem to rack up wins against even FCS opponents they schedule. Despite their current situation, if you were being recruited by those two schools, I would think it would be a similar dilemma.

I've also seen UNCC as a commuter school. I think I have only known one person who has gone there that wasn't from the immediate area of Mecklenburg/Cabarrus Counties.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:07 am

Deano wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:33 am
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:24 am
Deano wrote:
JMappfan5 wrote:
Nope, doesn't seem to bother him. :D
Smart kid

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 am
ah59396 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:27 pm
I've seen us lose to Liberty and A&T at home.
I've also seen us lose to Wofford three weeks after beating Michigan.

Point is, it's football and anything can happen. I'm all for being proud of our team and being confident that we can do what we need to do, but some of ya'll sound A LOT like the UNC and ECU folks. Too high and mighty. I do think UNCC probably moved up too early, but that's not the fault of their fans. And while they've got plenty of loud mouths...so do we.

Personally, I want them to be good because it'll force us to be even better. The Belt sucks this year and I fear that may continue. If so, we may slowly let off the gas in our program due to lack of strong, constant competition. Having someone in our backyard like UNCC breathing down our neck only forces us to be better.
I don't know, Boise, LSU and Ohio State among others seem to have done OK without any major in-state competitors over the years. Meanwhile UNC and State have been fighting tooth and nail for decades, yet neither of them ever seems to win anything big. I don't see how winning would make us "let off the gas," and I don't see how UNCC being good would make us better since they aren't in our league.

I do, however, see how them being good could hurt our recruiting. Which is why I'm all for kicking them while they're down, starting next year.
Hear! Hear! I don't have any hate for UNC-C, but we need to help keep them down as long as possible for the reason you stated. Sooner or later they could be a threat recruiting-wise (if not already in the Charlotte area).
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:13 am

Now is the time to create fake twitter/ninernation accounts. They have a tiny stadium and even though their program is the worst in the country they're going to come out in force for their super bowl against the Apps next year. We're going to have to scoop as many from the secondary market as we can. I suspect we might have to pose as UNCc fans to do so. It's going to be a hot ticket. We could fill their stadium twice with Charlotte-based App fans alone.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:32 am

Personally, I think having an in-state "rival" can help App in terms of local interest, but it could certainly impact recruiting. I do think there are plenty of recruits available and until Charlotte does some building, any kid who chooses them over App is simply looking for something different....most likely immediate playing time. I don't take any delight in watching them struggle, although I do hope we dominate them completely next year in our head to head.

I can't say that I have any particular insight into what athletes look for but I do know a little bit about the age group. App can sell the campus town feel...game day experience...tradition and excellence. If a kid really wants the urban thing, we probably aren't going to get him. My gut says that, if he wants that it could be a warning signal because I think to that group "urban" means "night life" which is when most of the off field problems happen.

I do think tradition matters to most recruits, but to a kid coming out of high school tradition doesn't equal 30 years. To them, tradition is defined by the last 5 years or so. Just my opinion of course.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 am

Not sure if UNCC will believe they can compete with us at this point, so not sure they would show up for the game.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:46 am

I would think our "tradition" of getting kids into the NFL, CFL, and successful careers in coaching at all levels, would also play a factor...we have a proven track record.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:20 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:32 am
Personally, I think having an in-state "rival" can help App in terms of local interest, but it could certainly impact recruiting. I do think there are plenty of recruits available and until Charlotte does some building, any kid who chooses them over App is simply looking for something different....most likely immediate playing time. I don't take any delight in watching them struggle, although I do hope we dominate them completely next year in our head to head.

I can't say that I have any particular insight into what athletes look for but I do know a little bit about the age group. App can sell the campus town feel...game day experience...tradition and excellence. If a kid really wants the urban thing, we probably aren't going to get him. My gut says that, if he wants that it could be a warning signal because I think to that group "urban" means "night life" which is when most of the off field problems happen.

I do think tradition matters to most recruits, but to a kid coming out of high school tradition doesn't equal 30 years. To them, tradition is defined by the last 5 years or so. Just my opinion of course.
We just played our in-state rival.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”