Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Interesting Season

appstcyclist

Interesting Season

Unread post by appstcyclist » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:26 pm

First off, I would like to say thank you to the seniors. I got to shake Millers hand after the game. Very emotional.

It was an interesting season. I am really not sure what more to say at this point. There were some ups and downs. The Georgia Southern game was great. At this point most of us Appfans can probably agree that we don't really have a clue what will happen next whether it be with coaches or with moving up.

Regardless I am still proud to be a mountaineer, no matter how sad i feel tonight.

cbarrier90
School: Appalachian State

Re: Interesting Season

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Been here since 09. The most fun team I've had the pleasure to watch. They were playing behind the 8 ball since preseason, were expected to be "down" and ended up winning a share of an excellent Southern Conference with some monumental victories along the way.

Even though they lost today, this team showed heart as they have all season in willing their way back from tough deficits. The stagnation and frustration under the previous regime is no more.

Get healthy, get another offseason under this coaching staff, and load up for what on paper is supposed to be an even better squad next year.

Give 'em hell.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:00 pm

cbarrier90 wrote:Been here since 09. The most fun team I've had the pleasure to watch. They were playing behind the 8 ball since preseason, were expected to be "down" and ended up winning a share of an excellent Southern Conference with some monumental victories along the way.

Even though they lost today, this team showed heart as they have all season in willing their way back from tough deficits. The stagnation and frustration under the previous regime is no more.

Get healthy, get another offseason under this coaching staff, and load up for what on paper is supposed to be an even better squad next year.

Give 'em hell.

Who would have thought after the Citadel game that we would end up with 8 wins and one point away from beating a quality team in the playoffs, given the attrition, lack of depth, and injuries. Somebody did a good job. An aside, I bet we would have won by two TD's today with a healty QB.
a.k.a JC0429

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Ohhhh we say that crap every time.... if our qb wasn't injured, if our qb wasn't injured. Well damn folks......you'd think that after the Richmond/AE injury debacle we would have learned our lesson. If you're gonna limp around on the field and want to play up you're that hurt then go sit your butt down (or some coach sit them down) and let someone that isn't injured play. I understand JJ wants to be the reincarnation of Richie Williams, limping down the field and leading us to victory.....but alas... JJ isn't Richie. What I saw from JJ was disappointing today. You can only blame your receivers so many times before we realize its you and not them. The fact he was arguing with them on the field and making motions to them like it was their fault, just made him look like a cry baby.
And Blaylock..... if he just had the theatrics he'd be the second coming of Ed Gainey.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:13 am

The season played out about how I thought it might. Young team, very inexperienced offensive and defensive lines and key players lost even before the season began. Then the blowout by Bellhops and I though it might really go south. The team picked it up and really played well the second half of the season with the big win over GaSo and a share of the SoCon title. I had hoped the team would really jell going into the playoffs but that didn't quite happen. At least I felt like this team fought every play after the Bellhop game and won in amazing fashion against Sammy and GaSo. Can't say enough about Miller and Kimbrough, seniors that left it on the field every game.

Thanks for a good effort Apps and best of luck to all the Seniors.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:46 am

ASUTodd wrote:Ohhhh we say that crap every time.... if our qb wasn't injured, if our qb wasn't injured. Well damn folks......you'd think that after the Richmond/AE injury debacle we would have learned our lesson. If you're gonna limp around on the field and want to play up you're that hurt then go sit your butt down (or some coach sit them down) and let someone that isn't injured play. I understand JJ wants to be the reincarnation of Richie Williams, limping down the field and leading us to victory.....but alas... JJ isn't Richie. What I saw from JJ was disappointing today. You can only blame your receivers so many times before we realize its you and not them. The fact he was arguing with them on the field and making motions to them like it was their fault, just made him look like a cry baby.
And Blaylock..... if he just had the theatrics he'd be the second coming of Ed Gainey.
This post makes a lot of sense as negative as it may be. Two things 1) I think the injury had nothing to do with the poor play of JJ today. He just picked a bad day to be off in the first half. He looked pretty sharp in the second half. It did look like their was some miss-communication between JJ and receivers not sure who to blame there. 2) Please don't compare Blalock to Gainy. Although getting beat in big situations was Gainey's M.O. I think Blalock deserves nore respect than to be compared to him for no other reason than he is a good kid from all I have heard.

cbarrier90

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:53 am

ASUTodd wrote:Ohhhh we say that crap every time.... if our qb wasn't injured, if our qb wasn't injured. Well damn folks......you'd think that after the Richmond/AE injury debacle we would have learned our lesson. If you're gonna limp around on the field and want to play up you're that hurt then go sit your butt down (or some coach sit them down) and let someone that isn't injured play. I understand JJ wants to be the reincarnation of Richie Williams, limping down the field and leading us to victory.....but alas... JJ isn't Richie. What I saw from JJ was disappointing today. You can only blame your receivers so many times before we realize its you and not them. The fact he was arguing with them on the field and making motions to them like it was their fault, just made him look like a cry baby.
Blalock is not Ed Gainey. Gainey was a talented football player with a huge ego and an awful attitude which permeated the football team last season.

From all accounts, Blalock is a good kid, a local walk-on, and a great special teams player that is simply not an FCS caliber safety. Substitute our injured freshman All-American in Doug Middleton and who knows what happens?

Furthermore, JJ on one ACL gave us a better chance to win than a healthy Logan Hallock. You're really going to try to criticize the guy after he basically pulled a Richie to bring us back into the game. Did you not think beforehand that timing would be off just a little after not playing at game speed for three weeks?

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:09 am

cbarrier90 wrote:
Blalock is not Ed Gainey. Gainey was a talented football player with a huge ego and an awful attitude which permeated the football team last season.

From all accounts, Blalock is a good kid, a local walk-on, and a great special teams player that is simply not an FCS caliber safety. Substitute our injured freshman All-American in Doug Middleton and who knows what happens?

Furthermore, JJ on one ACL gave us a better chance to win than a healthy Logan Hallock. You're really going to try to criticize the guy after he basically pulled a Richie to bring us back into the game. Did you not think beforehand that timing would be off just a little after not playing at game speed for three weeks?
Ok let me clarify my Gainey remarks. I wasnt insinuating that Blaylock was a bad kid, thats why i said "minus the theatrics ". I was referring to being beaten on every play. Secondly, with an injured JJ we had limited play calling. If his ACL is that bad then he has NO business playing and its irresponsible on his part AND THE COACHES PART for allowing it to happen. A healthy Hallock could have done much more than an injured JJ. Just like a healthy Deandre could have done more than the hobbled AE against Richmond or a healthy JJ could have done when we allowed and injured Deandre play.

cbarrier90

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:17 am

ASUTodd wrote:
cbarrier90 wrote:

Ok let me clarify my Gainey remarks. I wasnt insinuating that Blaylock was a bad kid, thats why i said "minus the theatrics ". I was referring to being beaten on every play. Secondly, with an injured JJ we had limited play calling. If his ACL is that bad then he has NO business playing and its irresponsible on his part AND THE COACHES PART for allowing it to happen. A healthy Hallock could have done much more than an injured JJ. Just like a healthy Deandre could have done more than the hobbled AE against Richmond or a healthy JJ could have done when we allowed and injured Deandre play.
Hallock's performance against Western indicative more to how much a pile of hot garbage Western's defense was than Hallock's talent level. He is 4 inches shorter than JJ, and it would essentially be like putting Blalock in at QB. Trey Elder was a QB at national powerhouse Byrnes High in SC. DeAndre was a dual threat who had the speed to extend plays and the arm to make big throws if necessary.

Hallock is a walk-on from Wilkesboro. His one snap was on a second down and he fumbled it bringing up 3rd and long. You can't just plug Hallock in and expect a JJ-esque performance. The Western game was the exception, not the rule.

Blaming the recruiting trail is ignorant, because no coach goes into a recruiting season saying, "Well, I don't want to get into a situation where we're down to our 4th string walk-on/scout QB/WR convert/kick holder late in the season." Sometimes, the depth chart just thins out. Look at the Maryland QB carousel this season.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Normally, I would agree with you on the injured QB issue. I was incensed that they made AE play the whole game against Richmond as hurt as he was, but you have to remember, our backup QB was suspended for the season and our third stringer was hurt for the season and we are down to our 4th string guy. Yes, he had a great game against Western and I'm not trying to take anything away from that performance but the fact is, ISU does not have the worst defense in the nation like Western does.

AppGrad1

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:33 pm

ASUTodd wrote:
cbarrier90 wrote:

Ok let me clarify my Gainey remarks. I wasnt insinuating that Blaylock was a bad kid, thats why i said "minus the theatrics ". I was referring to being beaten on every play. Secondly, with an injured JJ we had limited play calling. If his ACL is that bad then he has NO business playing and its irres
ponsible on his part AND THE COACHES PART for allowing it to happen. A healthy Hallock could have done much more than an injured JJ. Just like a healthy Deandre could have done more than the hobbled AE against Richmond or a healthy JJ could have done when we allowed and injured Deandre play.

Kinda agree with you.
When jj just lobbed an interception up in the endzone I'd taken him out for at least a couple series.
You can always put him back in.
We are a qb running team. If our qb will not run then we are hurting.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:43 pm

cbarrier90 wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:
cbarrier90 wrote:

Hallock's performance against Western indicative more to how much a pile of hot garbage Western's defense was than Hallock's talent level. He is 4 inches shorter than JJ, and it would essentially be like putting Blalock in at QB. Trey Elder was a QB at national powerhouse Byrnes High in SC. DeAndre was a dual threat who had the speed to extend plays and the arm to make big throws if necessary.

Hallock is a walk-on from Wilkesboro. His one snap was on a second down and he fumbled it bringing up 3rd and long. You can't just plug Hallock in and expect a JJ-esque performance. The Western game was the exception, not the rule.

Blaming the recruiting trail is ignorant, because no coach goes into a recruiting season saying, "Well, I don't want to get into a situation where we're down to our 4th string walk-on/scout QB/WR convert/kick holder late in the season." Sometimes, the depth chart just thins out. Look at the Maryland QB carousel this season.
I never blamed the recruiting trail. However,to leave a one legged JJ in ( in a running qb system), with an oline that couldnt block a 90 year old lady with a brick wall....IS COMPLETELY ASSININE. His throws were even off be cause he couldn't plant his feet properly.

yosef03

Unread post by yosef03 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:50 pm

appstcyclist wrote:First off, I would like to say thank you to the seniors. I got to shake Millers hand after the game. Very emotional.

It was an interesting season. I am really not sure what more to say at this point. There were some ups and downs. The Georgia Southern game was great. At this point most of us Appfans can probably agree that we don't really have a clue what will happen next whether it be with coaches or with moving up.

Regardless I am still proud to be a mountaineer, no matter how sad i feel tonight.
Well said. I wish Jerry Moore the best...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”