Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

GaSo Thursday procedures for classes

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

GaSo Thursday procedures for classes

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:31 am

I was going to give an informal presentation/talk/discussion/possible rant to a physics class the Tuesday before the GaSo game. I plan to be at the game so I moved the talk/rant to the same day as the game. The class meets from 4-6 pm and I was going to be talking/ranting from 5-6 but given my teaching schedule I could be on campus at 4 and go from 4-5. My plan was to start talking/ranting for an hour and then take a breath and go into a Q&A session, assuming everyone has not already walked out on me by then.

So what was the policy for classes after a certain time in 2015 for the Thursday game?

What time did the policy start?

Has anything been announced for this year, or should I just call the AD office and inquire?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Re: GaSo Thursday procedures for classes

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:41 am

::Rant::

Unlike some would want/believe, the AD does not make academic decisions for this University.

I would call the Provost Office. They would be most in the loop about classes. It may be a Department by Department call.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:35 am

Will we have a protest this time?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:49 am

appgrouch wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:41 am

Unlike some would want/believe, the AD does not make academic decisions for this University.

I would call the Provost Office. They would be most in the loop about classes. It may be a Department by Department call.
Good idea about the Provost office. They tend to be the final say on things academic.

The instructor of the class can do this just as well as I can, but I wanted to start making plans sooner than later.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:56 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:35 am
To be honest if classes are cancelled I would hope a protest would occur. At the end of the day App State is about education and learning. Even if the protest goes nowhere in changing policy I do think it is important to let those in charge be aware of the value of class time. And that is not to say TPTB also don't like cancelling classes for athletics. A protest may be officially directed at those making a decision on campus but it also is about sending a message to ESPN and really anyone that hears of the protest that some value education as the utmost objective of a university.

(I also understand the logistics and why classes were cancelled. I don't like it, but I understand it.)

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:56 am
Rekdiver wrote:
To be honest if classes are cancelled I would hope a protest would occur. At the end of the day App State is about education and learning. Even if the protest goes nowhere in changing policy I do think it is important to let those in charge be aware of the value of class time. And that is not to say TPTB also don't like cancelling classes for athletics. A protest may be officially directed at those making a decision on campus but it also is about sending a message to ESPN and really anyone that hears of the protest that some value education as the utmost objective of a university.

(I also understand the logistics and why classes were cancelled. I don't like it, but I understand it.)
I agree. Instructors should not have to plan around athletic events. It's enough giving make up work for athletes to travel to games.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:19 pm

It's amazing what subjects today's society is willing to be flexible on and not on.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:12 pm

As a show of solidarity from our fellow state institutions, classes at UNC-CH will be canceled that day, not just night classes, or late afternoon classes, but all classes. But not to worry, everyone will be marked in attendance and given an A for the day.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:05 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:12 pm
As a show of solidarity from our fellow state institutions, classes at UNC-CH will be canceled that day, not just night classes, or late afternoon classes, but all classes. But not to worry, everyone will be marked in attendance and given an A for the day.
Fake classes at UNC will go on as scheduled.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:08 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 pm
Rekdiver wrote:

I agree. Instructors should not have to plan around athletic events. It's enough giving make up work for athletes to travel to games.
Classes go on during athletic events all year long. Weekday football games are the only ones that cause logistical nightmares.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:18 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:08 pm
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Classes go on during athletic events all year long. Weekday football games are the only ones that cause logistical nightmares.
Yep, and keep in mind that, even at App, not all students live on campus so the game attendees get the available parking so that puts students and faculty in a bind getting to class.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:55 pm

The profs have had a year to figure out an alternative plan....

tjpappy

Unread post by tjpappy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:50 pm

Message from the Office of the Provost:

This fall we will again be hosting a weeknight football game on the evening of, Thursday, November 9 at 7:30 p.m.. Classes will go on as scheduled on that day but as in the past parking will gradually transition to a game day situation. Please see the parking plan for that day here. It is a slight modification of the plan from the last Thursday night game as we continue to try to improve this process for all involved.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:53 am

It’s one afternoon a year.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:50 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:53 am
It’s one afternoon a year.
True, but some classes can not be done online and only meet once a week. Science labs for one and some do meet late at night- such as astronomy.

I think the best solution is to not hold it against any professor or instructor that cancels class, especially if alternate activities of worthwhile endeavor can be done, especially online. For those classes that truly need to be held in person, or even a professor that just feels strongly about having in-person class then setting aside a few parking spaces, maybe not their normal spot but something reasonable on campus and a few spaces for off campus students that need/must drive to campus would be a reasonable policy. There could be a few Yosef Club members without a parking spot this one game since some may be reserved for faculty/staff that need to be on campus and then some for students. What would that be? 100-200 spaces at most, if that. I don't remember what YC reserved parking was two years ago on that weekday game, but I bet it was off a little from a Saturday game, and some small amount of moving of parking could be done, and for a few YC members that might be out of parking then just think of the quality academics that will be going on for one game a year that might not be happening otherwise.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Can they just not schedule these one day a week classes on Thursday? What are the parameters, if any, that would preclude a one day a week class to be held on any of the other days?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:23 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:02 pm
Can they just not schedule these one day a week classes on Thursday? What are the parameters, if any, that would preclude a one day a week class to be held on any of the other days?
In most cases I bet that could happen. I had my 2nd Semester History classonce a week from 6-9 on Wednesday. Moving that to another day could work as long as EVERY student in the class was able to attend on the new night and the professor could as well. No guarantee that would work, though that is one option and it would be nice it that would work.

For labs, they generally are booked in one room and are used every day of the week in some cases. I am not sure how many labs run past 6 pm or even 5 pm but some do. In the case of Astronomy I think the labs are every day Monday through Thursday and either they are considering starting Sunday evening labs or have already done so. Their really is no way to another day that could work. (And I will not even get into the problems of the stadium lights, though there are labs for cloudy nights that could be worked this week regardless of weather.) And labs run 8-10 and 10-12 on these nights so pushing labs back is not really an option, especially for students with 8 am classes on Friday.

I think Astronomy is one extreme and maybe the only lab in this situation but that is still one situation that I don't see much room to move around but setting aside a few parking spaces

I think Astronomy is one extreme but also if that is one of the few situations like this it is also something that can be taken care of without a lot of frustration for anyone-and the class can still meet in person for a lab.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:03 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Other athletic events don't take up 10,000 parking spaces.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:58 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:03 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Other athletic events don't take up 10,000 parking spaces.
I'm confused. Are you agreeing with me or arguing my point, which is pretty much your point?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:14 pm

People that have a PHD I'm certain can find a solution to move one class a semester.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”