Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NMSU Gameday Chat

WASU 93
School: Appalachian State

Re: NMSU Gameday Chat

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:48 am

Goapps15 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:04 am
Three main things I took away from yesterday.

1. Whenever we play a Wake or a Miami in Boone the homecoming crowd suffers. I believe last year's homecoming crowd was light too. Unfortunately this is a problem across the majority of G5 football.

2. While Taylor did struggle, I blame his struggles more on play calling than anything else. We didn't attempt a pass over 10 yards in the air until the 4th quarter. Once we did it opened up the whole offense.

3. Post onside kick was the loudest the stadium has been in a long time minus Wake and Miami. Even though we didn't get the ball, it jolted everybody, including the players. I watched the replay and never saw a fair catch signal.
Lamb played a great game against Wake, but struggled mightily yesterday. He missed 3 or 4 simple swing passes to our back in the flat. Each of those had a chance to be a big play. He also missed seeing open receivers in the end zone in both halves, with time. He soldiered through and made some key runs, but definitely did not have his "A" game yesterday.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am

His TD run was huge and a great decision to keep the ball. On the other hand his INT in the red zone was a horrible decision. I think his play yesterday was reflective of our team's performance.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am

postalapp90 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:28 am
Fans who stayed to the end were awesome. Noise level was incredible for how few stayed. I understand some leaving when we have a big lead and go vanilla on offense but why leave in a close exciting game. For the record I have never left early in last 15 years. We only get 6 home games a year and i intend on soaking up all of it. Actually heard someone say they were leaving at halftime while walking up stadium drive before game. Why are you even here.
I thought the noise level during the play when Duck had the interception and long return was as loud as I’ve heard in there including Miami and Wake. It was an incredible moment.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:46 am

Lets face it guys. We did not play a good game at all. We hung around long enough for them to make enough mistakes. Now we can talk all day long about how good they are but they aren't that good. Much better than last year? Heck yes but still not what you would consider a good team. We struggled with a team that threw 6 interceptions. Nice job by us? oh yes it was but what QB throws 6 intersections in a game? We still can't stop the penalties, our kicking game needs help, and we still can't tackle. Newsflash! the other team has legs and if you wrap them up you stop them. Now if you want to argue that point just watch a Clemson game. They wrap up! I love this team as much as I ever did but they are not playing well and I have yet to see an excuse I can buy. I think we need to stop worrying about the P5s and start worrying about our performance in the Sunbelt, because so far we are not looking real good.

Oldlknapp

NMSU travel problems

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:46 pm

You've got to appreciate how well they played considering how difficult it was for them to get to Boone. My thoughts go back to an older thread about realignment.

Appstate10

Unread post by Appstate10 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:15 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:59 am
Appstate10 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:15 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:04 pm
Well the students stayed and the crowd that stayed was loud! Kudos to all who stayed. And I gotta move my seats in 205 cause the guy sitting next to me is the most negative unhappy ( I CANT CALL HIM A FAN) attendeeIve ever been around. 3rd year of his mess is enough.
Must be something about 205. We sit in that section too and there are people around us that glare at you if you yell or talk or do anything I feel like.

It was ridiculous to see all those people leaving when they did. They certainly missed a crazy quarter of football. I get it if you have some reason you really so need to leave, but why go through all that trouble of getting up there just to stay for an hour?

There is something about 205 that has really changed the last few years. I agree that the amount of hand sitters and unaware "attendees" has grown big time. Where do people think noise and atmosphere comes from? Stand up and make it people! sheesh

Very much so! I come to a ballgame to yell and have fun. We talk about plays with people around us, good and not good. I feel like anytime my group and those around us do anything like that, we have people turning around looking at us like we are awful people. The ones in our area have had tickets there for years so we know each other and all celebrate together. That's the whole point!

I'd be interested to know where these other people in 205 sit (I know one said near the top). We are towards the bottom.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:37 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:14 pm
Camera just showed people leaving. I know we have discussed it but damn! Who the hell carves out a day for a game and leaves with a quarter to play and it's a one score game!!
Just now reading through this thread... but the answer to your question is "App Homecoming"... a mjority cares more about socializing than the game. HC is my least favorite game of the season 110% due to this.

Hopefully, we were able to snag a number of those folks and make them want to come back to a game other than HC.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:43 pm

I really don't understand. This is not new. We watch people leave every game starting around the end of the first quarter. It happens every single game.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:49 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:43 pm
I really don't understand. This is not new. We watch people leave every game starting around the end of the first quarter. It happens every single game.
It does. But not in the mass #'s as HC every year. Certainly, it irks me to no end. Especially when it occurred during the Wake game.

I'd be interested to know the rate of in-game attrition at other schools where the exits aren't as easily seen from the stands. Perhaps it happens everwhere, ours is just that much more noticeable due to stadium configuration.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:01 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:49 pm
bcoach wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:43 pm
It does. But not in the mass #'s as HC every year. Certainly, it irks me to no end. Especially when it occurred during the Wake game.

I'd be interested to know the rate of in-game attrition at other schools where the exits aren't as easily seen from the stands. Perhaps it happens everwhere, ours is just that much more noticeable due to stadium configuration.
They were leaving the WF game when we were leading. In spite of the fact it happens every game that one was strange.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Dabo Swinney commented in his presser last week about the students leaving early at Clemson and called them out asking for them to stay. But I read in today’s paper they left early again yesterday. It’s like this everywhere.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:45 am

Well I guess it is what it is. You can't force someone to enjoy something. It would be interesting to talk to a couple of them to see why they come and why they leave.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:27 am

Bottom line is: we are not as good this year as last year.
Yes Texas state and NM state are better than in past years, but in both games, we made them look way better than they were. Look at Texas state’s games since we players. Not even close...
We also kill ourselves with penalties. This is much worse this year than last.
Special teams is a liability overall. Hennigan is a solid returner and Lewis had some great returns, otherwise, it is a obvious weak spot. Gave up big returns, offsides on punts that put the defense back on the field (and cost us the win over WF).
Offensive line that seems to have trouble opening lanes for our backs, especially compared to last year.
QB play is inconsistent. Swing/screen passes often missed, or floated so that the defense closes in on runner before they can get the ball and make a move.
With the exception of the WR corps, and entire defensive unit, the team has taken a step back from last year.
Next week sounds like a broken record, Idaho is much improved and won’t roll over. It won’t be an easy win. Will our team finally come out firing on all cylinders, or will we get off to another slow start and depend on the defense to keep us in the game until we (hopefully) find our groove offensively? Will we miss kicks and PATs, line up offsides on 4th, make stupid penalties that kill drives or extend them for Idaho? These are all issues that we have been struggling with all season. Hopefully we are putting it together and will start playing as well as we are capable of.
GO APP!

stafford

Unread post by stafford » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 am

First game in attendance since 2015 and first homecoming in 15 years. I was in 203. Two women behind me griped about everything and had ZERO understanding of the game. But they thought they were Hirbstreet and Fowler. And they were loud and in my ear. Then they griped about the Homecoming court, which was understandable, but who cares. I didn't know we no longer did the traditional HC Queen, but whatever, I was there for the game.

Guy beside me went on and on about Satterfield's play calling. He just went on and on about running on 1st down. Why don't we try a pass on first down just to mix it up. I started to tell him that Lamb's passes had looked horrible and the coaches probably wanted to limit his throws. But, I kept my mouth shut and tried to ignore him. By the 4th quarter he was living it up and giving everyone high fives, including me.

I was considering getting season tickets again for next season. But after listening to the same old noise around me that I endured years ago, I realize that ESPN3 is a wonderful thing. I can always turn down the volume.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 am

After having a chance to sit back and think about the game, this game is about what I expected. NMSU has thrown the ball on everyone they played (including Arizona State, Troy, and Arkansas). Our running game finally got some stats, although most of it was on big plays. Our defense got gassed from being on the field for a long time, but the cornerback play was outstanding. One thing that doesn't show up in the stat line for total offense, is the return yards on kickoffs and return yards on interceptions. We had over 290 yards on returns. Turnovers were huge in this game as I believe that we would have lost had we not had the 6 interceptions. We found a way to win when we weren't playing our best. Best part of this, is that we haven't peaked yet and there are a lot of improvements to make. Hopefully we start to see this happen over the next few weeks.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:15 am

stafford wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 am
First game in attendance since 2015 and first homecoming in 15 years. I was in 203. Two women behind me griped about everything and had ZERO understanding of the game. But they thought they were Hirbstreet and Fowler. And they were loud and in my ear. Then they griped about the Homecoming court, which was understandable, but who cares. I didn't know we no longer did the traditional HC Queen, but whatever, I was there for the game.

Guy beside me went on and on about Satterfield's play calling. He just went on and on about running on 1st down. Why don't we try a pass on first down just to mix it up. I started to tell him that Lamb's passes had looked horrible and the coaches probably wanted to limit his throws. But, I kept my mouth shut and tried to ignore him. By the 4th quarter he was living it up and giving everyone high fives, including me.

I was considering getting season tickets again for next season. But after listening to the same old noise around me that I endured years ago, I realize that ESPN3 is a wonderful thing. I can always turn down the volume.
Understand your frustration but in my section of 205 it's not like that at all. Everyone around me is generally upbeat and actually fun. I make a day of it up there, tailgating can be almost as much fun as the game.

appknowledgeispower

Unread post by appknowledgeispower » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:24 am

So many ignorant clueless fans! PS....the next fan that tells me to sit down during a game, I will proceed to stand the WHOLE game. Not my fault, I have school spirit and will be rowdy when we are on DEFENSE. Suck it up sissy.

stafford

Unread post by stafford » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:04 am

I was in borrowed seats and in their parking spot. Have been in their parking spot previously and always enjoyed the tailgating. They've changed seats since the last game but kept the parking spot. There was some annoying chatter around their old seats, but not to the level I endured Saturday.

I had 2 seats and later 4 seats in 202 up until 2004 and it was very enjoyable and no issues with the folks around us. Back then, tickets were cheaper and you didn't need a parking space if you got there early.

The main issue I have with pulling the string on season tickets and parking is the people who might be seated near me. Sad to say, but it was an annoying game experience. Enjoyed seeing campus on gameday, tailgating, and dinner afterwards, but I told my wife that if our friends offer those tickets again, we might have to pass.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”