Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Why no replays on million dollar scoreboard

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Why no replays on million dollar scoreboard

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:34 pm

johnoralex wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:38 am
Anyone else notice they didn't stop the clock on some of the first downs for both teams?
I noticed that the referee was winding the clock before the chains were set on almost every first down. Still don't know what that was about.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:59 pm

I've never agreed with the policy of not showing plays under review or controversial plays on replay. Terrible policy. Bad calls SHOULD get the crowd into the game, fired up and voicing their displeasure. That's part of what home field advantage is. If they are concerned about people getting angry over bad calls....then STOP making so many bad calls. Refs should be accountable too.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:13 pm

It's an effort to speed up the game. Been the case all season.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:34 pm

While we are complaining about the refs, how about on the reviewed 4th down conversion/stop.
Even with the original spot, it was very close. Why the hell did they not even measure it? That is a ballgame deciding spot, and before anything could be done, they had moved the chains.
What if the Review showed the spotwas closer than it actually was, there is no way you would get an accurate measurement, because they had already moved the chains.
Again, hard to know about where the ball was when the runner was down, because it wasn’t replayed on the board

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:13 pm

App91 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:24 am
Disagree, never been in a stadium except for KBS when they would NOT show replays on reviews or tough calls. Watch any game on TV and you can tell when they show reviews by the crowd noise.

They cut that replay you mentioned off to show a NC Energy co-op ad. That add shows a crowd from -wait for it-
TENNESSEE! have got to get that changed.
Yeah, I guess you're right now that I think about it. There used to be a time when most would not, but I guess that's changed, so yes, please get better with the replays. They could have easily run the punt replay and then had time for the commercial.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:23 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:36 am
I could do without the rap and Hip Hop played before the game.
While we are on the topic of music, did anyone notice there was no canned music the whole first half, or next to none at least? What a peasant surprise. It was a whole lot better letting the band do their thing. That said, the band needs to step it up. There was a time that they had lots of little music snippets ready to go almost in between every play. They need to get back to that.

As far as the pregame music, as much as I hate what they play, I recognize that the pregame music should belong to the players. If it helps them get loose and pumped up, fantastic, play whatever they like. Once the game starts though, can the canned music with just a few exceptions and get the band going again. Make it sound like a college football game and not the NBA.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Yes, I thought the Band was into it more than what I have seen/heard the last couple of years - I noticed the canned music wasn't used much at all until the band left to go to the field for half...
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Appstate10

Unread post by Appstate10 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Our section was quite upset with not showing replays on big plays. If it is a conference rule, then I think it should be changed. I feel like it's getting to a point where refs aren't being held accountable. Is it the easiest job? No, and I understand that. However, some of those were game changing calls that need to be right and we seem to be getting away from that as a whole, even with the increase in technology.

We also noticed the clock starting really quickly, which I found interesting.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 pm

There is no way you would get an accurate measurement, because they had already moved the chains
I have noticed the guy holding the down marker writes the position of the ball on every down. He has tape or something similar on the marker to record it. So yes, they could measure.
Bring Your A Game!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:36 am

Guys, the Board operator gets his "walking papers" from the AD and from the crew-chief of the officials; not from our fans. It's that simple.

The game clock is another matter--completely.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppScott89

Unread post by AppScott89 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:36 am

I too noticed the ref starting the clock before the chains were set. He also started it at least twice before the ball was placed. The other thing I think the NCAA needs to look at is the targeting rule. I understand the intent of the rule is to protect the offense player. But the are asking defensive playing to almost stop in midair to avoid a hit. If you are going for a players midsection and he drops down there is no way to stop from hitting him in the upper shoulders or head or to get your head up. In the Ark State game against GaSou, the Ark State def was called for target when the qb decides to slide on a option play. If you are running the option the qb should not be allowed to slide. He's a running back at that time and how may times do running backs slide.

PJ42

Unread post by PJ42 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:23 pm
NewApp wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:36 am
I could do without the rap and Hip Hop played before the game.
While we are on the topic of music, did anyone notice there was no canned music the whole first half, or next to none at least? What a peasant surprise. It was a whole lot better letting the band do their thing. That said, the band needs to step it up. There was a time that they had lots of little music snippets ready to go almost in between every play. They need to get back to that.

As far as the pregame music, as much as I hate what they play, I recognize that the pregame music should belong to the players. If it helps them get loose and pumped up, fantastic, play whatever they like. Once the game starts though, can the canned music with just a few exceptions and get the band going again. Make it sound like a college football game and not the NBA.
I don't have a problem with playing music to the preference of the players. I was however disappointed in the lack of Eric Church tunes during the game. Honestly, due to the connection... I'm shocked we don't play his music TOO much.

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43 pm

There is another thread about attendance - or the perceived lack thereof - for Homecoming. The reason we spend all of that money on the new videoboard was to improve the game day experience - and no doubt it has. But if we want to REALLY improve the game day experience, we need to show the controversial calls.

In 2012, the SEC decided to show controversial calls on stadium video boards so that the people that spend money to actually attend the game didn't miss anything that the people at home could see for free.

We need to think about that.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:58 pm

AppRolls wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43 pm
There is another thread about attendance - or the perceived lack thereof - for Homecoming. The reason we spend all of that money on the new videoboard was to improve the game day experience - and no doubt it has. But if we want to REALLY improve the game day experience, we need to show the controversial calls.

In 2012, the SEC decided to show controversial calls on stadium video boards so that the people that spend money to actually attend the game didn't miss anything that the people at home could see for free.

We need to think about that.
Good point.

appst1992

Unread post by appst1992 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 am

I was down at Univ of South Carolina last weekend for parents weekend (have a daughter there). They show replays on the video board almost after every positive USC play. On plays under review, they show the play multiple times, in slo-mo, and from different angles. Not sure why we can’t do that. It would be nice to see ALOT more replays.

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:33 pm

I saw a replay of a reviewed play at the ULL game. Only one I remember seeing entire season.
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:35 pm

Yeah they replayed the targeting call.

85gradinATL

Unread post by 85gradinATL » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:51 am

johnoralex wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:38 am
Anyone else notice they didn't stop the clock on some of the first downs for both teams?

The clock is only stopped momentarily for a first down. Once the ball is placed, the clock starts. They don't even wait on the chains. This is one of the things to speed up the game. Watch the clock on any college game and you will see that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”