Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

WataugaMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:05 am

How about when we're in the red zone something like, "shove that ball across that line, shove that ball across that line, hey - shove it, shove it, shove it!" :) Sorry, thought I'd just throw that out there. lol Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:11 am

NO.2 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:40 am
"GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!" would be a good replacement. Though after reading this thread that might be a little too vulgar for some of you...
Not me - I smile every time I hear that ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:35 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 pm
The Rock wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:01 am
Goapps15 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:03 pm
Georgia southerns student section throws beer at you, tries to fight you and much more. We have a chant. The two aren't comparable. It's not even close.
Thank you! Exactly the point I have been making. Saying a chant to essentially no one is no where near physically attacking or harming anyone. It isn’t a slippery slope that leads to physical assault like everyone is making out.
It makes you sound like a bunch of non clever dumbasses. Is that clear enough?
For someone who is apparently scared of what other people think because a crowd of people say the word “asshole” you sure don’t seem to be offended or worried about calling people dumbasses. What is the difference? In this instance, I would argue it is more offensive and inflammatory since it is actually directed at someone. Hypocrisy abounds.
And for the record, as I have stated many times, I do not participate in the chant and think it is lame, but I choose not to get my manties in a wad and think our fan base is the worst because of something like this.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:41 am

As a parent of a 6 and 8 year old I'm not a fan of this. If you still feel it's ok, I'd like to ask you your opinion in about 10-15 years.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 am

I have a child also. When i take him anywhere in public, but especially a sporting event, I know I cannot control every word that he is going to hear (many are much worse than the “chant”) Just like with everything else in life, you can’t control what others do or say, only your own words and actions.
He isn’t allowed to say those words and there will be consequences if he does, but even if the chant was eliminated he is going to see or hear things that I wouldn’t want him to replicate, but I am not going to homeschool him and lock him in his room with no tv or internet until he’s 21 to protect him from the D*** word or the A$$ word...
Last edited by The Rock on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:50 am

I wonder what parents and families of visiting recruits think of it...

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 am

Again, my issue with it isn't the word itself. Or the fact that the students are chanting it. It's the fact that it is turning into a tradition outside of the student section. The group that was among (I'm assuming based on age) the starters of it were doing it in my section (110) last year as young alum. They didn't know better -- they thought the whole stadium did it and was what was supposed to be done. They haven't been there this season so I don't know if they moved or didn't renew tickets, but I can say they were upset that wasn't the norm and only students did it
Last edited by AppStateNews on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:00 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 am
I have a child also. When i take him anywhere in public, but especially a sporting event, I know I cannot control every word that he is going to hear (many are much worse than the “chant”) Just like with everything else in life, you can’t control what others do or say, only your own words and actions.
He isn’t allowed to say those words and there will be consequences if he does, but even if the chant was eliminated he is going to see or hear things that I wouldn’t want him to replicate, but I am not going to homeschool him and lock him in his room with no tv or internet until he’s 21 to protect him from the D*** word or the A$$ word...
Wow that is quite the leap you just made there.

Trust me, my children know what to say and what not to say. In fact they know not to associate themselves with people that use that language. What goes through their mind when they see students of a university they currently respect acting in this manner given the values that they have been taught?

Bottom line we're better or at least we should be better than this type of behavior.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:33 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:52 pm
If people on this board think they can create a tradition from behind their keyboard they are deluding themselves.
I think the Russians (presidential election) and Egyptians (Arab Spring) were quite successful creating change behind a keyboard! 8-)

So far the suggestions for a new kickoff chant are: (please keep in mind that these chants happen after oooooooohhhhhhhhh, boom)
  • A--------S--------U (slowly)
  • A....P....P....S! Go...Apps...Go!
  • GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!!!
I think for every opening kickoff (1st half), the crowd would chant "WELCOME TO THE ROCK!". For every subsequent kickoff, we customize it to our opponents' mascot or customize to a class of mascot (ie. CCU, GS & ULM are all birds...GSU, TxSt, USA are all felines).

CCU - "CHOKE THOSE CHICKENS"
or
CCU, GS & ULM - "SMOKE THESE BIRDS"
GSU, TxSt, USA - "CRUSH THE CATS"
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:45 am

moonshine wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:33 am
BTK2000 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:52 pm
If people on this board think they can create a tradition from behind their keyboard they are deluding themselves.
I think the Russians (presidential election) and Egyptians (Arab Spring) were quite successful creating change behind a keyboard! 8-)

So far the suggestions for a new kickoff chant are: (please keep in mind that these chants happen after oooooooohhhhhhhhh, boom)
  • A--------S--------U (slowly)
  • A....P....P....S! Go...Apps...Go!
  • GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!!!
I think for every opening kickoff (1st half), the crowd would chant "WELCOME TO THE ROCK!". For every subsequent kickoff, we customize it to our opponents' mascot or customize to a class of mascot (ie. CCU, GS & ULM are all birds...GSU, TxSt, USA are all felines).

CCU - "CHOKE THOSE CHICKENS"
or
CCU, GS & ULM - "SMOKE THESE BIRDS"
GSU, TxSt, USA - "CRUSH THE CATS"
Nope nope nope. We can't have the kids hear any notion of masturbation, they'll go blind.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 am

One thing for sure is we know how to wear out a subject to the point of getting stupid.
The chant is not a great reflection on those doing it and it is either going to stop or it isn't.
World peace

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:17 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:35 am
Seattleapp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
Georgia southerns student section throws beer at you, tries to fight you and much more. We have a chant. The two aren't comparable. It's not even close.
Thank you! Exactly the point I have been making. Saying a chant to essentially no one is no where near physically attacking or harming anyone. It isn’t a slippery slope that leads to physical assault like everyone is making out.
For someone who is apparently scared of what other people think because a crowd of people say the word “asshole” you sure don’t seem to be offended or worried about calling people dumbasses. What is the difference? In this instance, I would argue it is more offensive and inflammatory since it is actually directed at someone. Hypocrisy abounds.
And for the record, as I have stated many times, I do not participate in the chant and think it is lame, but I choose not to get my manties in a wad and think our fan base is the worst because of something like this.
Are you serious? Me saying it to you via a computer you equate to a thousand people screaming it for everyone to hear? You think it's the same? And it's just lame and unimaginative. I'll give you a pass because most likely you are a teenager and this is your way to be a rebel. But hopefully you will evolve and you too can come sit over here with the adults and see how dumb it is to chant that. And if you don't then that's pretty sad

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Let's start with a human Yosef that is allowed to fire the gun................

Then let's find a song and stick with it.....................

Get the WHOLE Crowd up on Kickoff's and get the Band involved with the Olympic theme music we used to play..........

Appstate10

Unread post by Appstate10 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:33 pm

I still stand by the fact that there is a difference in the fight song and the kickoff chant, as far as connotation goes. However, the chant is just stupid IMO. It has no meaning and really adds nothing to the game. I'd also prefer it not to be heard all over national TV because I agree it's bad for the brand.

I wish we could have gameday traditions like other places do(as was mentioned earlier), but until we get some organization with the PA, the band, and the student section, I don't think that will happen. To me, there doesn't seem to be communication happening on when certain things need to happen. It also helps when we have fans who consistently show up for every came and STAY! I finally got to see VT's entrance on TV the other night and wanted to be there in the middle of it. I'd love for something like that to start at App.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 pm

This thread just keeps on keeping on. You inhale vigorously, anuses.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:14 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 pm
This thread just keeps on keeping on. You inhale vigorously, anuses.
heads up...you'll be able to see uranus with the naked eye tonight...

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:23 pm

I see the value of an APP degree slowly disintegrating before my eyes.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Who sucks asshole? Is it the kicker or the receivers because they do it both ways, just dumb. I am in no way offended but If you're going to do it at least be smart and pick a side. It makes more sense to say Boom or something when we kick and maybe the other when the opponent kicks. Try to work this classic in:

"Fight exuberantly!
Fight exuberantly!
Compel them to relinquish the ball!"

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:17 pm
The Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:35 am
Seattleapp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
Are you serious? Me saying it to you via a computer you equate to a thousand people screaming it for everyone to hear? You think it's the same? And it's just lame and unimaginative. I'll give you a pass because most likely you are a teenager and this is your way to be a rebel. But hopefully you will evolve and you too can come sit over here with the adults and see how dumb it is to chant that. And if you don't then that's pretty sad
I think it’s cute when you have no other intelligent arguments to present, you resort to insults.
This is an app state message board, we all know recruits and players and opposing fans come here, so how can you downplay your attacks as not representative of the entire App Nation.
Isn’t that what we are discussing, that the student’s chant is making us all look bad? But you chastising fellow members over differing points of view in a public forum doesn’t reflect??
Thanks, but I don’t need your “pass” or your approval. I am well past my teenage years and the only thing I rebel against is people who think in absolutes, as in a few students say something I don’t agree with, therefore all app state fans look bad.
I’ve said multiple times that I don’t participate or enjoy the chant, I’m just not delusional enough to believe the actions of a small minority of students ( saying something) is painting the whole fan base in a bad light.
And with that, you and your like minded chickens can run around and panic, and look for reasons to be offended, and engage in petty personal attacks directed at me and anyone else who dares to have a different opinion than you, I am done with the subject matter of this thread

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Hot off the presses from DG himself:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”