App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

User avatar
yosef13
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:13 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:05 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 am
I'm surprised at the response. I did not realize so much of our fan base thought the idea was so lame. The jug seemed to be fun for the player, coaches, and the fans. It also seems that the best rivalries in college football have something similar at stake. I guess I misread the level of interest.
For one thing, the rivalry with Western was a true geographical rivalry. Both schools relatively near each other slugging it out for supremacy in the mountains. The jug was a natural and very appropriate trophy. We have none of that with GS. These things just dont work when they are contrived. Just beating them is fun enough.
True, we are not geographically compatible with GS, but I did not realize that was part of the criteria for a rivalry. ND and USC, Tenn and UF, UM and OSU, and the list goes on.

While we are not close in proximity with GS, the competition between the schools has been fierce. It seems natural to celebrate the game with a symbol. I don't see how doing so would be contrived, since the rivalry already exist. Now if we did this with Troy or A-State that would be completely contrived.

I wonder what the reaction was when jug idea was introduced in the 70's.
Unless I'm mistaken, ND-USC is the only one of the rivalries you mentioned that has a trophy.
Correct, but I provided a list of 60 games with trophies, and not all of those games are schools that are close in proximity. This just seems like a way to create more tradition, which a lot of people complain we don't have enough of. I think unusual traditions like this can only help our brand.



AppinATL
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Duluth, GA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:05 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 am
I'm surprised at the response. I did not realize so much of our fan base thought the idea was so lame. The jug seemed to be fun for the player, coaches, and the fans. It also seems that the best rivalries in college football have something similar at stake. I guess I misread the level of interest.
For one thing, the rivalry with Western was a true geographical rivalry. Both schools relatively near each other slugging it out for supremacy in the mountains. The jug was a natural and very appropriate trophy. We have none of that with GS. These things just dont work when they are contrived. Just beating them is fun enough.
True, we are not geographically compatible with GS, but I did not realize that was part of the criteria for a rivalry. ND and USC, Tenn and UF, UM and OSU, and the list goes on.

While we are not close in proximity with GS, the competition between the schools has been fierce. It seems natural to celebrate the game with a symbol. I don't see how doing so would be contrived, since the rivalry already exist. Now if we did this with Troy or A-State that would be completely contrived.

I wonder what the reaction was when jug idea was introduced in the 70's.
I never said we don't have a rivalry with GS. Obviously, we have a great one. However I was pointing out that the Western rivalry was different because we were natural rivals to start with and it was because we are so close together and in the same region of the state. Same thing with Troy & South Alabama, UNC-Duke, etc. It always seems to be more intense when you have that. The thing with GS only developed over time when we were often battling it out for the SoCon and we had so many close games. To me that is a different kind of rivalry and I just don't think cooking up some kind of hokey trophy thing is appropriate. A few years down the road, I could see something like that between us and UNCC, if and when their program gets to a level with us and we played every year. You don't even have to be in the same conference... Florida-Florida State-Miami love triangle, for instance.

I do like the concept of the Black and Blue Bowl someone came up with earlier, though.



AppinATL
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Duluth, GA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm

You know what would "help our brand? Getting away from the uniform/helmet of the week mentality that we have now. That big white block A on the black helmet and those black uniforms was our brand and became known. I have no problem with a special uniform for one game a year, but you have to protect the brand. GS has that with their classic plain uniforms.



User avatar
hotrod2001
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Image



User avatar
proasu89
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:33 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 326 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:14 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm
You know what would "help our brand? Getting away from the uniform/helmet of the week mentality that we have now. That big white block A on the black helmet and those black uniforms was our brand and became known. I have no problem with a special uniform for one game a year, but you have to protect the brand. GS has that with their classic plain uniforms.
I agree with almost everything you post but am going to take the opposite position on this. I sense that the boys on the field enjoy the different combos and that we’re kind of becoming the Oregon of the east coast with our different combinations. I will also state that I’ve had a couple of cocktails and may be completely off base. :D



EastHallApp
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1582 times
Been thanked: 1312 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm
You know what would "help our brand? Getting away from the uniform/helmet of the week mentality that we have now. That big white block A on the black helmet and those black uniforms was our brand and became known. I have no problem with a special uniform for one game a year, but you have to protect the brand. GS has that with their classic plain uniforms.

That doesn't mean they have a better brand or uniform than us; it just speaks to your personal preference.

As far as the white A goes, we've never once worn it as an FBS team. I loved it too, but it's probably time to accept that the black A is going to be around for a while.



AppinATL
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Duluth, GA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm
You know what would "help our brand? Getting away from the uniform/helmet of the week mentality that we have now. That big white block A on the black helmet and those black uniforms was our brand and became known. I have no problem with a special uniform for one game a year, but you have to protect the brand. GS has that with their classic plain uniforms.

That doesn't mean they have a better brand or uniform than us; it just speaks to your personal preference.

As far as the white A goes, we've never once worn it as an FBS team. I loved it too, but it's probably time to accept that the black A is going to be around for a while.
(sigh) I'm not saying I love the GS uniform. I am saying they have never strayed away from it with the exception of a special game a year lately. That has been their uniform pretty much since they re-started their program. When you hear "Yankees" you immediately envision the pinstripes and NY on the left breast. "Dodgers?" The script lettering across the chest in dodger blue with the red number underneath, etc. That's what helps strengthen a brand. We're wearing something different every week. And I have accepted the black block A. I just mentioned the white one because that was our logo when we won the national championships and the UM game and it was on the cover of SI and that's how the world saw us for the first time. What I really HATED was the idiotic black A on the black helmet with no outline. They could have saved somebody a lot of work and just left the helmets logo-less for all the good that did.

But I guess I'm just really settling into my old fogey stage of life. Nothing is sacred anymore.



bcoach
Posts: 3099
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 616 times
Been thanked: 596 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm
You know what would "help our brand? Getting away from the uniform/helmet of the week mentality that we have now. That big white block A on the black helmet and those black uniforms was our brand and became known. I have no problem with a special uniform for one game a year, but you have to protect the brand. GS has that with their classic plain uniforms.

That doesn't mean they have a better brand or uniform than us; it just speaks to your personal preference.

As far as the white A goes, we've never once worn it as an FBS team. I loved it too, but it's probably time to accept that the black A is going to be around for a while.
(sigh) I'm not saying I love the GS uniform. I am saying they have never strayed away from it with the exception of a special game a year lately. That has been their uniform pretty much since they re-started their program. When you hear "Yankees" you immediately envision the pinstripes and NY on the left breast. "Dodgers?" The script lettering across the chest in dodger blue with the red number underneath, etc. That's what helps strengthen a brand. We're wearing something different every week. And I have accepted the black block A. I just mentioned the white one because that was our logo when we won the national championships and the UM game and it was on the cover of SI and that's how the world saw us for the first time. What I really HATED was the idiotic black A on the black helmet with no outline. They could have saved somebody a lot of work and just left the helmets logo-less for all the good that did.

But I guess I'm just really settling into my old fogey stage of life. Nothing is sacred anymore.
They can do what they will but my A will always be white. I also notice the A on the brand new video board is white.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1582 times
Been thanked: 1312 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Different brands are built different ways. Oregon and Boise State do things differently than, say, Alabama. But they all have strong brands.

For that matter, I wonder how many different combos of orange/purple/white Clemson has worn the past couple years?

I know one thing: I'll take our brand over Southern's and their Bama wanna-be unis every day of the week.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1582 times
Been thanked: 1312 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 pm

With that said, I'm on team #NeverWhiteOut.



User avatar
CheckYosef94
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 pm

I agree that our rivalry with GS needs a trophy. Are rivalry trophies always the coolest thing? No. But it does create extra hype where we can sell more tickets/shirts/merchandise/etc. Plus, college football is supposed to be fun and sometimes playing for a goofy trophy adds a little fun.



User avatar
SayYesToTheRock
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 am

Interestingly, the wikipedia article says the game is referred to as "Deeper Than Hate."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachi ... ll_rivalry

I support a trophy. The weirder the better. Paddle, JugBucket, whatever.

Going with the "Teacher's College" theme, a Chalkboard Trophy might be cool. You could write the score of the most recent win on it, with all-time results on the edges or back.


Fear the Mountaineer

NewApp
Posts: 3378
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 263 times
Been thanked: 209 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:40 am

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm
You know what would "help our brand? Getting away from the uniform/helmet of the week mentality that we have now. That big white block A on the black helmet and those black uniforms was our brand and became known. I have no problem with a special uniform for one game a year, but you have to protect the brand. GS has that with their classic plain uniforms.
Totally agree, AA. Saturday from where I sat in high 215, I couldn't make out our logo on the helmets.



NewApp
Posts: 3378
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 263 times
Been thanked: 209 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:44 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm
You know what would "help our brand? Getting away from the uniform/helmet of the week mentality that we have now. That big white block A on the black helmet and those black uniforms was our brand and became known. I have no problem with a special uniform for one game a year, but you have to protect the brand. GS has that with their classic plain uniforms.

That doesn't mean they have a better brand or uniform than us; it just speaks to your personal preference.

As far as the white A goes, we've never once worn it as an FBS team. I loved it too, but it's probably time to accept that the black A is going to be around for a while.
Then at least put it on a white helmet. :!:



User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 13592
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 794 times
Been thanked: 791 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:17 am

I had no problem seeing the logo and I am at the very top of 206.



bigCasu
Posts: 5357
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:32 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 432 times
Contact:

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by bigCasu » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 am

CVAPP wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:58 pm
I think it would be cool if the trophy was awarded to the loser, and the loser has to display it until they win again. A trophy nobody wants.
If you lose, you get the teachers paddle to represent the butt whooping you just received.



bcoach
Posts: 3099
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 616 times
Been thanked: 596 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:30 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:17 am
I had no problem seeing the logo and I am at the very top of 206.
The solid black no outline?



huskie3
Posts: 3388
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2000 9:57 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Gaston County
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 141 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 am

I am not in favor of a paddle as it represents corporal punishment. I have not used a paddle in the classroom for the last 38 years.

If we must have a trophy then choose a jug of some kind.


Bring Your A Game!

NewApp
Posts: 3378
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 263 times
Been thanked: 209 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:00 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:17 am
I had no problem seeing the logo and I am at the very top of 206.
It stood out like a deer hunter hiding in the bushes. I could see it, but it sure didn't stand out. Looked like a third grader drew it.



NoLongerLurking
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:07 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:19 pm




Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 94 users online :: 1 registered, 1 hidden and 92 guests

    Most users ever online was 1049 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 am

    Users browsing this forum: proasu89 and 92 guests