Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Jerry Moore will not return

HighPointApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Jerry Moore will not return

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:18 am

For me it all boils down to this. A business/football decision was made. There's nothing that can be said or done to undo it. We're now at a crossroads. How the AD handles the decision will be key for years to come.

I am graretful to Coach Moore and all of the assistant coaches who raised ASU and our football team to new levels. May God bless Coach Moore and his family with many more years of enjoyable living. As some one else posted on here, there's more to football than wins/losses. The impact he's had on his players for 24 years can never be accurately measured. I'm humbled just thinking about it.

On a side note, once we returned home after Saturday's game my oldest son told me and his mother he was going to go to ASU for college. Will that happen? I don't know. I hope so. The love I have for this University will not falter nor fade as the years go by. But through football and the passion I hold for ASU football and ASU as a whole, my son shares that excitement. Thank you again Coach Moore! God bless!
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 am

I don't understand all the cloak and dagger like intrigue. JM, CC and KP all knew before the season began that 2012 would be coach's last. Moore didn't want all the hoopla of a farewell tour circus. Now they'll name a new coach who may or may not be Satterfield and off we go.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:31 am

HighPointApp wrote:For me it all boils down to this. A business/football decision was made. There's nothing that can be said or done to undo it. We're now at a crossroads. How the AD handles the decision will be key for years to come.

I am graretful to Coach Moore and all of the assistant coaches who raised ASU and our football team to new levels. May God bless Coach Moore and his family with many more years of enjoyable living. As some one else posted on here, there's more to football than wins/losses. The impact he's had on his players for 24 years can never be accurately measured. I'm humbled just thinking about it.

On a side note, once we returned home after Saturday's game my oldest son told me and his mother he was going to go to ASU for college. Will that happen? I don't know. I hope so. The love I have for this University will not falter nor fade as the years go by. But through football and the passion I hold for ASU football and ASU as a whole, my son shares that excitement. Thank you again Coach Moore! God bless!
HighPoint, have faith in that. I applied to only one school, ASU, and that was mainly because my parents took me to Boone often. Whether for football games or road trips to the parkway it made an impact on me and ASU was the only place I wanted to go to college.
WE ARE YOSEF!

ASU13

Something smells fishy

Unread post by ASU13 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:53 pm

After reading said Watauga Democrat article, I really got the feeling Jerry still wanted / wants to coach our program. If so, why is Cobb making him go? Does he really think someone new can do a better job than Jerry? The man got us where we are, I feel he should be able to leave when he chooses, not as Cobb sees fit. Don't like it one bit.

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/Sports/ ... -id-009801

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Trust me '93 I will.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:04 pm

Very poorly done. A lot like how things have been handled for a while now. CC should never be allowed to make any announcement. He needs a PR person. His press release read that coach was fired, plain and simple. Bird brain did not have the intelligence to say the word RETIRE!!! If you are one that does not want to go FBS you should be very happy we have CC, as he couldn't present a plan to first grader. It sure shows where he came from.

App91

Re: Something smells fishy

Unread post by App91 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:04 pm

I am sure coach wanted to stay longer, that's what made him good. But, it is time. As much as I hate it and I think JM is one of the greatest ever. This way, his legacy is not tarnished more.
It is, however, time. Hopefully we announce a FBS move and the concerns off the field over the past couple years along with on field performance shows we are slipping. It is time. Don't get me wrong, i have been in "mourning" all day long.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:05 pm

If you say the word "gullible" real slow..... It sounds like "oranges"

Watauga72

Unread post by Watauga72 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Hey, we could say this was a PR disaster for the program but really, who outside of App State people are paying attention. Searched ESPN and Yahoo sports for an article on Moore's demise but found nothing in their headlines. If you live outside of NC most people don't know or care about it.
We'll get over it, hire a new coach, and start all over again. Hope Coach Moore is able to at least enjoy some retirement without much bitterness on how this went down.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Watauga72 wrote:Hey, we could say this was a PR disaster for the program but really, who outside of App State people are paying attention. Searched ESPN and Yahoo sports for an article on Moore's demise but found nothing in their headlines. If you live outside of NC most people don't know or care about it.
We'll get over it, hire a new coach, and start all over again. Hope Coach Moore is able to at least enjoy some retirement without much bitterness on how this went down.
If you live outside the ASU family it is a none issue!

go APPS!
Go APPS!

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 pm

asutrnr81 wrote:
Watauga72 wrote:Hey, we could say this was a PR disaster for the program but really, who outside of App State people are paying attention. Searched ESPN and Yahoo sports for an article on Moore's demise but found nothing in their headlines. If you live outside of NC most people don't know or care about it.
If you live outside the ASU family it is a none issue!

go APPS!
Assumption details have already made the national sports media.
a.k.a JC0429

Watauga72

Unread post by Watauga72 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:28 pm

JCline, not sure what you mean but if you're suggesting that there's an assumption that additional details on Coach Moore's demise will create some ripple in the national media I don't agree. If you're not part of the big BCS conferences no one on the national scene gives a rat's hairy behind what you do. Please forgive me if I misunderstood your post.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:44 am

bcoach wrote:Very poorly done. A lot like how things have been handled for a while now. CC should never be allowed to make any announcement. He needs a PR person. His press release read that coach was fired, plain and simple. Bird brain did not have the intelligence to say the word RETIRE!!! If you are one that does not want to go FBS you should be very happy we have CC, as he couldn't present a plan to first grader. It sure shows where he came from.
If it wasn't a retirement then why would he say the word? I'm just curious as to how it could have been handled better? It was a tough situation where everybody involved knew since last year that this was it, then Moore asked for another year (not unusual for coaches to do) and CC felt he had to say no. That's pretty much what's in the release. I agree that it is a potentially unpleasant situation, but what should have been done differently?

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:13 am

appst89 wrote: I agree that it is a potentially unpleasant situation, but what should have been done differently?
NOTHING! You are right again!, and everyone needs to get past this quickly! Charlie Cobb IMO is a leader and leaders need to lead and with this issue, he LED. This was not easy on anyone and Coach like most of us want to leave on our own terms. He had an opportunity that most of us will not have....He had a year to ride out of town with more dignity and he chose a different route. If anything, this is messy because of what Coach did, not what CC did.

It is time to move on!

Go APPS!
Go APPS!

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:17 am

Plus, is it really a firing if your contract expires at the end of the season? Coach Moore's contract is up and we're not extending it.

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:22 am

I promise myself not to post on this topic after this post!

Jerry Moore is the greatest coach in school history period! No Comparison.

It is/was time to go. There are many things wrong within and around our program that he evidently did not say grace over that got us to the point we were with team discipline and other issues.

I love the man. He is one of the most inspirational people I have ever met.

But it was time! ....and every day past Sunday it will get easier!

Let's move on and SUPPORT ASU Athletics and our GREAT University!

Go APPS! :!:
Go APPS!

appgrunt71

Unread post by appgrunt71 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 am

I have the deepest respect and admiration for Coach Moore. That being said, there is something about this transition that just doesn't make sense. Our AD was quoted in numerous newspapers saying that he knew Coach Moore would retire a year ago. The Charlotte newspaper noted that in their meeting on Sunday Coach Moore asked for an extension of one year, which CC refused. As I see it, CC had about one year to prepare for this day. In comparison the AD at NCSU fired Coach Obrian and hired the HC from N. Illinois in short order. She identified him well ahead of time. She did not linger at all. She knew who she wanted. Back to App State, we could follow the example of NCSU by making a quick decisive decision. To me that seems reasonable under the circumstances, but.... I think there may be some pieces missing, which may cause this transition to be a little bit more complicated, eg, the apparent difficulty we are having moving up to FBS. While NCSU had calm waters, we maybe trying to make a decision in shifting sand. Time will tell!

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:37 am

Even while this "was he really fired?" discussion rages on the message board, 90% of the folks in Boone and 90% of the ASU fans in North Carolina have no idea that there is any controversy at all about what happened behind the scenes. All they have heard is a brief news blurb that "Jerry Moore Retired"; they think he was a great man and a great coach; and they hope ASU can get a new coach that can be 80% of what Jerry was.

drew7718

Unread post by drew7718 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 am

MountainMan wrote:Even while this "was he really fired?" discussion rages on the message board, 90% of the folks in Boone and 90% of the ASU fans in North Carolina have no idea that there is any controversy at all about what happened behind the scenes. All they have heard is a brief news blurb that "Jerry Moore Retired"; they think he was a great man and a great coach; and they hope ASU can get a new coach that can be 80% of what Jerry was.
I agree Mountain Man, while most of us on here are sitting her at our work computers the rest of appnation is not caring if Coach was fired or if he retired. I think it is time for a change, especially if we move to FBS, however I wish that it would have been broadcasted to the fan base a little differently. I personally would have loved to hear it from the mouth of Coach himself. That would have been smarter for CC, and he might not have caught so much crap. I feel it was a power trip from CC and disrespectful to the Coach and what he did for this great University.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 am

The impact on a program with having a coach who decides after each season that he may or may not want to coach another year can be devestating especially with recruits and assistant coaches. Jerry indicated that he has been taking it year by year and that may work for him but it leaves too much up in the air. I hate it had to end this way but Jerry put Charlie in the position of having to end his tenure. I mentioned this earlier but I am dissapointed that Jerry has not yet taken a high road with this. Should he choose to he can damage the program with negative comments and he can put it to rest with some carefully chosen words and show his love of the University, players and fans. He hurts us with any negativity. My question to Jerry would be " What would you do in the same situation"?
24 great years that were mutually beneficial. Few coaches have that luxury. Don't ruin those 24 years with a few poorly worded comments. By the way, anyone surprised taht Ken Peacock has not said anything?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”