Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

One more WS Journal-Post NMSU

YesAppCan
School: Appalachian State

One more WS Journal-Post NMSU

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:54 pm

sixtoes9134

Re: One more WS Journal-Post NMSU

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Nice coach speak. People are bitching about the run game early in the year and the pass game yesterday. Satt says its all his fault. So, the reason Lamb passed for 40 ish something yards yesterday is play calling? Uh, OK.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Um. Georgia was a no go running the call. My grandma could run on Savannah State. Texas State geared up for the run. Stacked the box. Wake...we had room to throw. Now yesterday..room to run.

No film needed

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:49 am

Wonder how effective the running game would have been if we hadn't had 6 interceptions to set us up with good field position.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:41 am

Coming up with a game plan and sticking to it is vital to the success of any team. Being able to make adjustments at half-time involves coaching at its finest. I was also frustrated at the lack of offensive consistency but after reading this interview I see where the coaches were coming from.

It reminds me of a time we played a school that had a stud running back. Our defense absolutely shut him down during the 1st half; had maybe 10 yards rushing but they kept pounding the middle and power off-tackle. Second half they kept it up, he trusted his OL, and 165 yards later we'd lost.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:33 am

Still doesn't explain why of the 21 passes Lamb attempted that at least 5 of them were thrown into the ground and in some cases had wide open receivers.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:35 am

And to that point, there were a large number of drops as well, when he was on the mark.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 am

At one point in the game, I think it was 2nd half, he got dinged up and it looked like his throwing shoulder, I thought he might come out of the game but obviously he didn't.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:35 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ap ... ar-AAt5Z1S

This analyst had a substantially different assessment of the game. This more closely resembles the game I witnessed on Saturday. I don't like people sugar coating or blowing smoke for me. I want us to continually improve our program and the only way you can do that is truthful self reflection. Let's call it like it is and not be afraid to face the truth and then get stronger as a result.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:17 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:35 am

This analyst had a substantially different assessment of the game. This more closely resembles the game I witnessed on Saturday. I don't like people sugar coating or blowing smoke for me. I want us to continually improve our program and the only way you can do that is truthful self reflection. Let's call it like it is and not be afraid to face the truth and then get stronger as a result.
That's closer to the game I saw as well. The Aggies let us hang around until we finally broke a couple big plays to put them away. They could have won no question.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 am

AtlAppMan wrote:

I pretty much agree with that assessment of the game but had to spit my coffee when the guy said NMSU is a better team than ASU. That's just ludicrous.

We were lucky to win. Lamb had a terrible game throwing the ball and the team was just flat for most of the game. I was impressed with the speed of NMSU and their QB is a great scrambler. We had pretty good pressure and should have had way more sacks, but that guy was slippery.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 am

I was impressed with the tight/press coverage NMSU had on our receivers... Wish we could do that more.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:31 pm

The MSN article reporter was obviously a NMSU fan, or at least hoping we'd lose to them. I totally disagree with his assessment; NMSU was not the better team. We beat them by TWO (2) touchdowns...not by a point or two. Our defense was awesome and our offense made the big plays when they needed to. Special teams struggled somewhat but did enough to help the cause.
Are we perfect? No, but we're improving and we've got Moore back on track. We're going to get everyone's best shot and nobody's going to lay down just because we're App State, we're playing against D1 athletes who can make plays and against coaching staffs who are holding nothing back against us.
The guys wearing the black and gold Saturday were the better team.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:11 pm

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/ ... 744424001/

Here is another article where the NMSU coach believes they outplayed us in most aspects of the game but made too many mistakes that cost them the game.

Like is or not they made us become one dimensional. All running no passing. That is not what Satt has previously said he wants from our team.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:37 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Here is another article where the NMSU coach believes they outplayed us in most aspects of the game but made too many mistakes that cost them the game.

Like is or not they made us become one dimensional. All running no passing. That is not what Satt has previously said he wants from our team.
Bunch of garbage. We won..they lost..have a nice day. Good luck to ya the rest of the season!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:48 pm

I cant call it a bunch of garbage... I wouldn't expect their coach or fans to say anything less. I said the same thing about Wake -- no doubt we were the the better team, but the only stat that mattered (score) didn't go to our side.

NMSU had 107 more total yards, 24 less penalty yards, had the ball 8 minutes longer, had 11 more first downs, etc. Simply put, they outplayed us for a large portion of the game.

I do realize the 7 turnovers played a HUGE role in them losing and not trying to belittle that. But to say them thinking they played well enough to win is garbage is simply false. They did play well enough, but fortunately for us, we made the big plays when needed.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:57 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:

So we sleep walk through three quarters, win the game, and they are a better team?

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:14 pm

fjblair wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 am
AtlAppMan wrote:

I pretty much agree with that assessment of the game but had to spit my coffee when the guy said NMSU is a better team than ASU. That's just ludicrous.

We were lucky to win. Lamb had a terrible game throwing the ball and the team was just flat for most of the game. I was impressed with the speed of NMSU and their QB is a great scrambler. We had pretty good pressure and should have had way more sacks, but that guy was slippery.
“We were lucky to win. Lamb had a terrible game throwing the ball and the team was just flat for most of the game.”

End result: good teams find a way to win and we did. It’s a “W” and that’s all that matters. Whatever went wrong on Saturday can be fixed in practice. I will not push our coaching staff and team under the bus over a less than stellar performance.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:33 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:11 pm

He's also said on many occasions that they will take whatever the defense gives. Wake had soft coverage, so we exploited their defense with a pass-heavy attack. Granted there were a few bad throws by Lamb (happens in almost every football game by both QBs) but, they were covering our receivers well, so we went heavy on the run against NMSU which worked beautifully.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:38 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:48 pm
I cant call it a bunch of garbage... I wouldn't expect their coach or fans to say anything less. I said the same thing about Wake -- no doubt we were the the better team, but the only stat that mattered (score) didn't go to our side.

NMSU had 107 more total yards, 24 less penalty yards, had the ball 8 minutes longer, had 11 more first downs, etc. Simply put, they outplayed us for a large portion of the game.

I do realize the 7 turnovers played a HUGE role in them losing and not trying to belittle that. But to say them thinking they played well enough to win is garbage is simply false. They did play well enough, but fortunately for us, we made the big plays when needed.
I don't think you can compare stats like that to determine the better team when the game ends up with a 2 touchdown difference, a 1, 2, or 3 point difference, sure. We lost by 1 to Wake and we clearly played better, just didn't convert on enough opportunities.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”