Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Challenge for next week

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Re: Challenge for next week

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:59 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:53 pm
Coastal sucks. Don't have to assume, just look at their results.

Doesn't ensure we'll play well against them, of course.
When we were in transition we sucked too, until we didn't and went on a tear. Don't think CCU isn't looking at us the same way we did Troy after our embarrassing loss to FCS Liberty at home.

The Chants might be 1-5 but three of those losses were within a TD.

UMass for that matter have only lost the bulk of their games by a few points too, so neither one of those are shoe-ins. Especially if we play asleep at the wheel like we did the first half this week's game.

All true. Yet for every team that goes from terrible to kick-ass overnight halfway through the year like we did in '14, there are... well, pretty much all the rest of them, who continue to struggle.

If Coastal wins their remaining six games, I'll be glad to come back to this thread and say I was wrong.

But I agree, we need to play better.
Oh I know, I think we should win the next two games. I just don't know if it'll be a breeze or if both will be highly contested. Right now I look at the wins and losses in the conference and it's like every team outside of the ASU's are bipolar, destroying a team one week, then getting destroyed by another team the next, usually to a team which is the underdog. I don't know if that means the bulk of the teams in the conference are bad or of they're all on a level playing field.

Then there is stAte which seems to be in a class by itself so far, followed by us who aren't steamrolling but still getting the job done. I don't know if that's just us being anemic or if everyone who plays us are circling that date as the "big game" of their season, almost like how everyone scheduled NMSU for their homecoming game this year in anticipation of them being a doormat (I think they are playing in like 5 homecoming games)

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:14 pm

I don't know that A State is as good as they think they are. They have a win against an FCS team, which is an improvement over last year, and two conference wins against two teams a combined 1-10. They lost to a garbage Nebraska team. Let's pump the breaks on the boys from Arkansas until they beat someone with a pulse.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:15 pm

They do seem to have something we don't...an offense.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:22 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:15 pm
They do seem to have something we don't...an offense.
Defensive ranks of their four FBS opponents is 97, 82, 40, 68. The best defense in terms on Points allowed is 31. Jury is still out until they play someone good. That doesn't look like it will happen until Troy.

Edit: FWIW, Our offense is rated higher per ESPN. I don't know how they compute such things. What do I know though. I have been told stats are for losers.

App90

Unread post by App90 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:02 pm

MtnDevil95 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 am
I tend to agree with BigC in the BGP Postgame, there seems to be something just off with the App State offense.
In the Idaho game Lamb seemed to be zeroing in on one receiver at times and forcing the ball to that route and receiver when constantly Moore was wide open in the flats or another receiver was getting separation. Its seems he is not going through his progressions as smoothly as he did last year. Why is this I can't answer, is he being told to get the ball out quicker, is he trying to get it to a certain play maker, is the the play built that way, is he injured. I think the mind set of running no matter what is also playing a factor into some of these games. ASU runs plenty of plays to realize what the defense is doing on the run game. The defenses have time and time again, stepped back from the line and crashed the stretch play to close the gaps. However they keeping running the ball which has been productive in the late quarters, however when it wasn't, then ASU has resorted to throwing the ball which have led to wins. So this might be what we are seeing. Either way they have beaten who they were supposed to beat. And at this time of year that is all that matters.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Didn't really want to start a new thread for this, but my sports talk show will be interviewing SS tomorrow at 3pm (off air) and playing it back sometime during our show 4-7pm on ESPN Upstate in Greenville, SC.

As soon as I find out what time we're going to play it back I'll post a reply to this. It'll also be available via podcast tomorrow evening shortly after we finish up the show.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:30 pm

This year's team is still a bit of an enigma. We are actually averaging almost identical average points scored and points allowed as in 2016 (Thank you Savannah St.). We seemed to have more confidence against an undefeated Wake Forest than New Mexico State and Idaho. It's hard to question motivation when we are scratching and clawing the way we have been.

I guess our question is:
HC.jpg
HC.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 am

Listening to the pod cast on the way to work today. Great points were brought up about the level of competition the past two weekends. I agree enough credit wasn't given to a much improved NMSU (that is more likely than not a bowl team this year) and one of the better defenses in the SBC in Idaho.

That said I don't understand why DJ, C and crew continue to prop up CCU. Yes they will want to beat us and likely have this game circled (everyone in the SBC does), but they aren't a good team. They give up on average 40 ppg, including 50 points in three games. There defense isn't nearly as good as what we've seen the last two weeks.

Some argue what if CCU pulls a 2014 App turnaround starting this game, I'd reply what is App starts on a similar path this week to start playing consistent football, the timing of OL and RB finally comes together, and defense continues to play solid ball.

Mid-late October is our time.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:30 pm
This year's team is still a bit of an enigma. We are actually averaging almost identical average points scored and points allowed as in 2016 (Thank you Savannah St.). We seemed to have more confidence against an undefeated Wake Forest than New Mexico State and Idaho. It's hard to question motivation when we are scratching and clawing the way we have been.

I guess our question is:
HC.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hillary's grammar is incorrect. It should be "Why am I not 50 points ahead?" ;)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Football can be a pretty simple game. Constantly getting in 2nd and 10+ & 3rd and 7+ makes it very challenging to get momentum going. No offense will be successful consistently with those situations.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 pm

With Upshaw out, I hope Evans is back. Haven't heard any status reports on D. Smith or M. Williams since their early season injuries. May have to burn a shirt on one of our Freshmen!!!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 am

Just get cranked up about 30 clock minutes sooner.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 am

The “have us circled on the calendar” cliche cracks me up. My general response to that is- so what? So a team looks at the schedule in the summer and says- “man we play App on October 21 and that’s our 7th game”! “We really need to try extra harder that game”. Dumb football speak IMHO. Lol

I would love to see a few extra wrinkles. Like maybe a jet sweep or two. I know that someone noted once that we either don’t have a guy to run it or we screwed it up but I can’t imagine CCU having the lateral speed personnel to catch us. Would also love to incorporate our tight ends a bit more.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:35 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 am
I would love to see a few extra wrinkles. Like maybe a jet sweep or two. I know that someone noted once that we either don’t have a guy to run it or we screwed it up but I can’t imagine CCU having the lateral speed personnel to catch us. Would also love to incorporate our tight ends a bit more.
Ummm, we've run quite a few jet sweeps this season. The run by TJ Watkins against Wake was one. I know it was considered a pass since Lamb did a forward lateral instead of a hand off, but it's the same thing.

Also, a lot of our jet sweep formations are an option read for Taylor. A lot of times we do run it, the other team crashes down on it causing Taylor to go to the other read.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 am

Regardless of what we do this weekend, if teams are going to play 8 in the box, throw a deep ball or two. Force them to pay for going all out on the run.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
The “have us circled on the calendar” cliche cracks me up. My general response to that is- so what? So a team looks at the schedule in the summer and says- “man we play App on October 21 and that’s our 7th game”! “We really need to try extra harder that game”. Dumb football speak IMHO. Lol

Not disagreeing with you on your main points but I just downloaded the latest BGP broadcast and apparently Satterfield, said that Petrino (Idaho's coach) said that they'd been spending 15 minutes each practice starting in the Spring and continuing through the fall trying to figure out how to beat us. At the end of the game he admitted that they just couldn't beat us. That has to be demoralizing to spend so much effort to beat a specific team, get a 20 point lead on that team, playing at home, and then lose the game. Based on that, at least Idaho was putting in extra time and focus on our team. Just an interesting segment. Also, as an aside, I loved David Jackson's perspective on this season and this year's team which he voices on the latest episode.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:

We've run them the last two games with two different players and both got snuffed out for losses or no gain.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Longrifle28 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

We've run them the last two games with two different players and both got snuffed out for losses or no gain.
Running a play two times in two games doesn't seem all that frequent, does it? It's not like if the stretch zone gets stuffed for a loss one time we say "Well, better put that one on the shelf for today, better luck next week."

Seemed like we ran that jet sweep to Hopkins a few times per game last year, at least some games.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:28 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 pm
Longrifle28 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:

Running a play two times in two games doesn't seem all that frequent, does it? It's not like if the stretch zone gets stuffed for a loss one time we say "Well, better put that one on the shelf for today, better luck next week."

Seemed like we ran that jet sweep to Hopkins a few times per game last year, at least some games.
I didn't say two times. But I was responding to the above poster saying "like maybe a jet sweep or two". I think after the Wake game other teams may be looking for it. I'm sure we will run it when Satt thinks the time is right, but its not like we haven't been trying to use it.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:50 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 am
My challenge to the team the two next weeks is get up 21-0 and pull Lamb and RBs early to limit hits and heal up. Those guys are clearly not 100% and need some rest.
I dunno. We came back from a 20-0 half time deficit to win vs Ida Who. Somebody could do the same to us.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”