Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

sounds like charlie cobbs not on the up and up

GoApps70
School: Appalachian State

Re: sounds like charlie cobbs not on the up and up

Unread post by GoApps70 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:44 am

A coaching change should have been made years ago, but hate to see Coach Moore go at the same time. Hope Satterfield gets the chance to lead the way permanently.

Let's get into FBS and start recruiting.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 am

ASUTodd wrote:
PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:seems that there's more to the story...not a good way to end coach's career in my opinion. cobb says one thing then another in different press release and conference...anybody else think this is the case?
No it sounds like Jerry was having no part of moving up or doing things differently. Sounds like Jerry thought he could stay as long as he wanted and no one would say otherwise. Kudos to Cobb and Peacock to do what needed to be done. As much as we all love JM, the time had come and yet he didn't realize it.
All these people throwing out conspiracy theories don't understand this I believe. There was probably much more involving Chris Moore and other defunct coaches (how does Dale Jones still have a job without JM there?), in addition to team discipline, FBS talks, etc., that led to this decision then just a hasty choice to push a 24 year coach out. Does anyone expect Coach Moore would be here another 5 years? I've never understood the whole "leave on his own terms thing," which may be why I feel this way, but it was time to move on. App's been stagnant every since the 3rd championship and we would have been even more so if Chris and company (oline coach) would have been allowed to maintain their jobs. Charlie Cobb had to walk a tight rope of moving a program forward while honoring a great coach who didn't realize it was time to move on. I think we should all be a little less critical, stop the conspiracies, recognize a great coaching tenure and look forward to ASU football regardless. Everything that happens at ASU doesn't have to be as shady as what some of you try to make it out to be.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:08 am

Great coaches have to have a lot of self-confidence and optimism and drive. It helps them achieve greatness, but sometimes it clouds their ability to make a critical self-assessment of when it's time to move on (e.g., Bobby Bowden, Joe Pa, and quite a few others).

I don't know all/any of the "behind the scenes" story, but we do know that ASU wants to go FBS and Jerry does not want to be part of that, so to me it makes sense that ASU would want to move forward with a plan that that is FBS-focused -- and a 73 year old coach that has publicly said many times he does not want to be in FBS is probably not the best way to do that.

While it wouldn't be the end of the world, what happens if ASU let Jerry stay another year, got a FBS offer a month or two later, and then face a full year with players and potential recruits knowing Jerry does not want any part of FBS, but not knowing who will be ASU's coach after the next season?

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 am

Report on NPR this morning says Moore was "Fired" over a difference in opinion....
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 am

From what I read the decision was made last year with all parties concerned. Sunday, Coach Moore asked for an extension of another year and it was denied.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:38 am

vegattk wrote:Report on NPR this morning says Moore was "Fired" over a difference in opinion....
If thats to be believed that has fbs written all over it.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

dontplay90

Unread post by dontplay90 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:44 am

and maybe it's just that Cobb is getting back to the first item on his "to-do" list from back when he was hired... "1. Fire Coach Moore..."

A lot of good has come during Cobb's tenure, some... not so much.

Maybe Cobb is taking the high road now on the heels of possible "strange things" in the football program, starting with the partial "house clearing" last winter... who knows for sure.

I am sure a lot of it is Moore's reluctance to join the FBS ranks...

It definately pains me to see Coach Moore out of our program. Like everyone, Coach Moore has his strengths and weaknesses. However, the sum of the parts add up to make him a great person and coach! I cannot thank him enough for his contributions to ASU, Boone and my life, especially over the past 8 years or so.

I just hope that Charlie doesn't botch our football program!
Give 'em Hell Apps!

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:53 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:Is it possible that CC and Peacock thought we would have an FBS invite by now and it would be a nice and tidy way for JM to go out - since JM has stated he did not want to be an FBS coach. With some problems last year, with personal and team performance I could see the conversation being, "You got one year to go out on top." It is possible since no FBS announcement has arrived yet that JM thought he could get more time as the year progressed, especially if FBS did not materialize. Good intentions last year may have degraded a bit this year, and what might have been the best situation did turn a bit sour.

Between JM, his son, some player issues, the team not performing as well the last few years, JM's age, FBS talk for a few years and things moving fast in that area, this could be an enigma wrapped in a riddle that was never meant to be anything more than JM having one last year in a way that was not focused on JM. Still pressure might have been put on JM a year ago, but also a way to not be fired and essentially retire. Not what I would have preferred for JM, but not machinations on the part of CC either.

I've never heard JM say he wanted no part of FBS. I've heard him say it was an administrative decision but never said anything for it either, but nothing against it.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:55 am

StorminASU wrote:
ASUTodd wrote:
PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:seems that there's more to the story...not a good way to end coach's career in my opinion. cobb says one thing then another in different press release and conference...anybody else think this is the case?
No it sounds like Jerry was having no part of moving up or doing things differently. Sounds like Jerry thought he could stay as long as he wanted and no one would say otherwise. Kudos to Cobb and Peacock to do what needed to be done. As much as we all love JM, the time had come and yet he didn't realize it.
All these people throwing out conspiracy theories don't understand this I believe. There was probably much more involving Chris Moore and other defunct coaches (how does Dale Jones still have a job without JM there?), in addition to team discipline, FBS talks, etc., that led to this decision then just a hasty choice to push a 24 year coach out. Does anyone expect Coach Moore would be here another 5 years? I've never understood the whole "leave on his own terms thing," which may be why I feel this way, but it was time to move on. App's been stagnant every since the 3rd championship and we would have been even more so if Chris and company (oline coach) would have been allowed to maintain their jobs. Charlie Cobb had to walk a tight rope of moving a program forward while honoring a great coach who didn't realize it was time to move on. I think we should all be a little less critical, stop the conspiracies, recognize a great coaching tenure and look forward to ASU football regardless. Everything that happens at ASU doesn't have to be as shady as what some of you try to make it out to be.

I've heard Steve Brown give compliments about Dale Jones As a matter of fact this past Saturday.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:55 am

GoApps70 wrote:A coaching change should have been made years ago, but hate to see Coach Moore go at the same time. Hope Satterfield gets the chance to lead the way permanently.

Years ago? Like 2005, 2006, and 2007?
Last edited by JCline0429 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a JC0429

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:49 am

JCline0429 wrote:
GoApps70 wrote:A coaching change should have been made years ago, but hate to see Coach Moore go at the same time. Hope Satterfield gets the chance to lead the way permanently.

Years ago? Like 205, 206, and 207?
JCline you are old school if you remember those years.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 am

ASUPATCH wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:

Years ago? Like 205, 206, and 207?
JCline you are old school if you remember those years.
Lordy, I did didn't I? Fixed it. Thanks. :oops:
Last edited by JCline0429 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
a.k.a JC0429

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:03 am

Was meant as joke Jcline. Reread what you wrote. Missing some zero's maybe? You named stadium sections as opposed to years.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:11 am

ASUPATCH wrote:Was meant as joke Jcline. Reread what you wrote. Missing some zero's maybe? You named stadium sections as opposed to years.
Lordy, I did, didn't I? :oops:

I don't know where this duplicate post came from. Can't delete the other.
Last edited by JCline0429 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a JC0429

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:14 am

t4pizza wrote:Sure makes sense why JM was seen as unfriendly toward CC after he clinched the SoCon title with a win over Furman. I really feel for Coach Moore, knowing that he was going out regardless of how he performed must have been a huge burden. I think he did a good job this year rebuilding our program. I really think our team can make a legit run at the title next year, with the right coach. I just don't have much faith in CC to hire the right coach. CC seems to do a lot of things that aren't on the up and up, I just hope his next football coach hire isn't one of them. We need a true national search and not a back room deal to put some coach in place that a wealthy contributer thinks will do a good job. The last time that happened didn't work out that well.

We'll see but Cobb's record on hiring new coaches is lousy.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:33 am

fjblair wrote:
t4pizza wrote:Sure makes sense why JM was seen as unfriendly toward CC after he clinched the SoCon title with a win over Furman. I really feel for Coach Moore, knowing that he was going out regardless of how he performed must have been a huge burden. I think he did a good job this year rebuilding our program. I really think our team can make a legit run at the title next year, with the right coach. I just don't have much faith in CC to hire the right coach. CC seems to do a lot of things that aren't on the up and up, I just hope his next football coach hire isn't one of them. We need a true national search and not a back room deal to put some coach in place that a wealthy contributer thinks will do a good job. The last time that happened didn't work out that well.

We'll see but Cobb's record on hiring new coaches is lousy.
He hired Darcie Vincent didn't he? He made one bad hire in Capel. Hell Buzz got us to the socon championship game in year one. Cant fault him for Buzz being a liar.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:40 am

So..... Anyone want to bet how long it will be before Western Carolina hires JM?

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 am

You're sick man. :lol:

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:38 pm

ASUTodd wrote:So..... Anyone want to bet how long it will be before Western Carolina hires JM?
Idea actually being thrown around on the ol' Western board. Somehow I think delphi suits them well.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/catamoun ... sg=11852.1

Be forewarned, they still consider us their rival. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”