Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

sounds like charlie cobbs not on the up and up

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

sounds like charlie cobbs not on the up and up

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:25 pm

seems that there's more to the story...not a good way to end coach's career in my opinion. cobb says one thing then another in different press release and conference...anybody else think this is the case?
Last edited by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vegattk

Re: sounds like charlie cobbs not on the up and up

Unread post by vegattk » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:30 pm

There's too much up in the air and not being communicated with the fan base for this to be a "clear-cut" retirement.

If this was a "clean" deal, MUCH more would be given to the ASU community... :?:
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:37 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:seems that there's more to the story...not a good way to end coaches career in my opinion. cobb says one thing then another in different press release and conference...anybody else think this is the case?
Sure seems there are more questions than answers. The whole thing feels a little slimy to me, even though we all knew it was coming soon.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:43 pm

it kinda sticks to my gut knowing that coach's final game was a half filled stadium(at least with the loudest loyal-est fans) and the actual thud that ball made when it was blocked...ill never forget that sound...not a way i want to remember his last hu-rah. i smell a rat...or a wolf(pack) in sheep's clothing...

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:44 pm

and think of this...coach would have been at a presser thanking his fans...right? im calling b.s.!!!!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:48 pm

Sure makes sense why JM was seen as unfriendly toward CC after he clinched the SoCon title with a win over Furman. I really feel for Coach Moore, knowing that he was going out regardless of how he performed must have been a huge burden. I think he did a good job this year rebuilding our program. I really think our team can make a legit run at the title next year, with the right coach. I just don't have much faith in CC to hire the right coach. CC seems to do a lot of things that aren't on the up and up, I just hope his next football coach hire isn't one of them. We need a true national search and not a back room deal to put some coach in place that a wealthy contributer thinks will do a good job. The last time that happened didn't work out that well.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:58 pm

I think a "nudge" was given, and the conversation last year took place. Sometimes an old dog, (I say that with great respect for coach Moore) needs to be told it's time.

I listened in on the conference call, Charlie was dancing around some issues; trying his darnedest to be respectful of a great man and coach. But, having been in on this stuff before, these conversations are never easy, and with trying to set goals for a new future (FBS), it's all complex and it was time. I don't think any "evil" is at play. Just a need to open a new chapter and have some stability in the head coaching position for more than a "year or two", as we move forward into a new future. Granted a move to the FBS isn't certain, but there is a mass amount of conference shuffling going on, and more to come, so this is APPS time to make changes in preps (and appeal to conferences) for the FBS side of life; I can only speculate.

Teared up some when I first got wind of the news this morning. Class.. class act Coach Moore, they don't make them like any more. I just don't get the gut feeling anything evil is, or was, in play on this. Plenty of time early in the week for pressers from coach. We'll see one I suspect.
Twitter: @wxcrum

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:59 pm

I've known Jerry since he set foot on campus, even before he was hired. He and my father played golf often over the years and I had the pleasure of joining them when I was home. There is one thing that needs to be added to this. Jerry has made it clear over the past several years that he wanted no part in coaching an FBS team or even one in transition. If an announcement of a move was in the works then that might have played a part in the timing. Cobb stated several times today that he wanted a new coach in place in the next two weeks. That's pretty fast and the reason for that has to be recruiting. Since schools like Cee, GaSt, and ODU are getting some good looking recruits then they want to make sure the staff part is locked down tight before they hit the meat of the recruiting. I'm sure they want to be able to sell App over those and other programs and to tell recruits where we will be, who we will be playing, and who they will be playing for.

I believe the FBS part that concerns us will get moving in the next few days and it won't be long before we know if or where we will be. It the same for every team that is in the mix. It all comes down to recruiting. Everyone wants to know what to tell recruits to sell them on their programs and it helps if they know what who and at what level they will be playing.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:25 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:and think of this...coach would have been at a presser thanking his fans...right? im calling b.s.!!!!!
PBR...You are wrong on this....i think your BS is very wrong

Coach Moore had choices and took the low road on this....Cobb is actually taking the HIGH road by NOT exposing the whole truth about the coach and his son and a few other things.

Lay off Cobb... YOU ARE VERY WRONG with your smell

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:27 pm

you smell like philly....bad! :mrgreen:

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:29 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:and think of this...coach would have been at a presser thanking his fans...right? im calling b.s.!!!!!
PBR...You are wrong on this....i think your BS is very wrong

Coach Moore had choices and took the low road on this....Cobb is actually taking the HIGH road by NOT exposing the whole truth about the coach and his son and a few other things.

Lay off Cobb... YOU ARE VERY WRONG with your smell
I'd lay off the cheesesteak my Philly friend..
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Sounds like Cobb, Moore, and Peacock made a decision before the season. Are you willing to throw Peacock under that bus you're driving, tread lightly.

Speculation will get you no where, let's celebrate what a great coach and man has done the last 24 years.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:05 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:seems that there's more to the story...not a good way to end coach's career in my opinion. cobb says one thing then another in different press release and conference...anybody else think this is the case?
In this release, it sounds like Cobb and Peacock wanted him to retire.
https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_ve ... us&.src=ym

If my interpretation of the first quote or so is correct, then that is the case.

I just hope to hell CC is better at hiring football coaches than he is basketball.
Rep point to you, BTW.
a.k.a JC0429

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:33 pm

Last summer my wife's relative that lives in Goldsboro called and said to line up a trip to Goldsboro on Jan. 11th 2013 as Coach Moore was going to be inducted into the NC Sports Hall of Fame. (Brownie was inducted a few years ago).

During the conversation he said: "This is Coach Moore's last year". I have known Wes for a long time and just took his comment in stride. A few weeks ago, he called back to confirm the 11th of Jan.

He was right....This clearly was in the works for a long time. I do believe it had a lot to do with the state of the program by the end of the season last year....but I also believe that Coach thought that if he were to pull out a SoCon Championship and a run in the playoffs that things might change!

My respect goes to Coach....and my confidence goes to Charlie....Now go find us a coach!

Go APPS!

...and I ain't eating any philly steak!
Go APPS!

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:38 pm

asutrnr81 wrote:Last summer my wife's relative that lives in Goldsboro called and said to line up a trip to Goldsboro on Jan. 11th 2013 as Coach Moore was going to be inducted into the NC Sports Hall of Fame. (Brownie was inducted a few years ago).

During the conversation he said: "This is Coach Moore's last year". I have known Wes for a long time and just took his comment in stride. A few weeks ago, he called back to confirm the 11th of Jan.

He was right....This clearly was in the works for a long time. I do believe it had a lot to do with the state of the program by the end of the season last year....but I also believe that Coach thought that if he were to pull out a SoCon Championship and a run in the playoffs that things might change!

My respect goes to Coach....and my confidence goes to Charlie....Now go find us a coach!

Go APPS!

Confidence except in hiring basketball coaches. He sux at that.
a.k.a JC0429

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:43 pm

asutrnr81 wrote:Last summer my wife's relative that lives in Goldsboro called and said to line up a trip to Goldsboro on Jan. 11th 2013 as Coach Moore was going to be inducted into the NC Sports Hall of Fame. (Brownie was inducted a few years ago).

Go APPS!

AMEN

Great, more cheesesteak for me...by the way Town tavern has an awesome cheesesteak...an i like barbecue also !!!!

asutrnr81

Unread post by asutrnr81 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:59 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:AMEN
Great, more cheesesteak for me...by the way Town tavern has an awesome cheesesteak...an i like barbecue also !!!!
Philly, did the BHG and I meet you Friday night?

I like Cue....and I cook some mean pig!

Go APPS!
Go APPS!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:03 am

Is it possible that CC and Peacock thought we would have an FBS invite by now and it would be a nice and tidy way for JM to go out - since JM has stated he did not want to be an FBS coach. With some problems last year, with personal and team performance I could see the conversation being, "You got one year to go out on top." It is possible since no FBS announcement has arrived yet that JM thought he could get more time as the year progressed, especially if FBS did not materialize. Good intentions last year may have degraded a bit this year, and what might have been the best situation did turn a bit sour.

Between JM, his son, some player issues, the team not performing as well the last few years, JM's age, FBS talk for a few years and things moving fast in that area, this could be an enigma wrapped in a riddle that was never meant to be anything more than JM having one last year in a way that was not focused on JM. Still pressure might have been put on JM a year ago, but also a way to not be fired and essentially retire. Not what I would have preferred for JM, but not machinations on the part of CC either.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:06 am

asutrnr81 wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:AMEN
Philly, did the BHG and I meet you Friday night?

I like Cue....and I cook some mean pig!

Go APPS!
I don't think so...i was driving home to Charlotte from Louisville...Saturday's I tailgate at the Short Bus, sit in The 111, and drink and eat at the Town tavern after games....I am the loud person at the games and at the tavern ;-) ...lol

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:32 am

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:seems that there's more to the story...not a good way to end coach's career in my opinion. cobb says one thing then another in different press release and conference...anybody else think this is the case?
No it sounds like Jerry was having no part of moving up or doing things differently. Sounds like Jerry thought he could stay as long as he wanted and no one would say otherwise. Kudos to Cobb and Peacock to do what needed to be done. As much as we all love JM, the time had come and yet he didn't realize it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”