Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ESPN Bowl Projection

mikeyosef
School: Appalachian State

Re: ESPN Bowl Projection

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:00 am

I spoke with a good friend of Alan Gooch, the Director of the Cure bowl, last weekend and he said Alan would really like to have Appalachian State at the Cure. He said Alan and others associated with the Cure think we would bring a good crowd and would draw locally as well. I haven't seen anything saying we might end up in the Cure but I'd be for anything other than Mobile.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:06 am

Regular season much superior to fcs but imo post season is no comparison. Being pigeon holed to play the same mac schools in Alabama is wearing thin. Especially after winning 10 games

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:22 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:00 am
I spoke with a good friend of Alan Gooch, the Director of the Cure bowl, last weekend and he said Alan would really like to have Appalachian State at the Cure. He said Alan and others associated with the Cure think we would bring a good crowd and would draw locally as well. I haven't seen anything saying we might end up in the Cure but I'd be for anything other than Mobile.
After seeing the ESPN bowl projections, I would prefer the Cure bowl as well. They have a P5 opponent playing a Sun Belt team. I would rather have that than another year of #MacAction.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:33 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:06 am
Regular season much superior to fcs but imo post season is no comparison. Being pigeon holed to play the same mac schools in Alabama is wearing thin. Especially after winning 10 games
Obviously any comments like these risk having the thread go to the FCS/FBS debate. For me, regular season, no-brainer it’s FBS! Better opponent opportunities and bigger stage. Post season, playoffs are simply better (right now). For the big boys a loss can mean no shot at the final 4. For really good G5 programs like us a loss (UGA) means no shot at NY6. As long as we are mired in the MAC bowl it will be same old same ole for post season. Hopefully tie ins will change and the SB championship game will add another level of excitement

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:44 am

I don’t think we should complain about what bowl we might get. Let’s be thankful that we are on the verge of being bowl eligible for a third year in a row. Let’s understand that roughly half of the FBS programs in the country get a bowl invite any given year and even fewer programs get to a bowl game three years in a row. I say, It’s great to be a Mountaineer!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:49 am

Orlando would be a good place to go destination-wise. Still don't think that bowl is national TV but, hey, I'll be there! :D

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:58 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Seattle, I'm not being a SA here at all but, have you gone to either bowl game in Montgomery? I've gone to both and had an absolute blast both times, way better than any of championship games to me. I do look forward someday to a more regional conference and better bowl opportunities but am satisfied as we are really just starting this FBS journey.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:02 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:44 am
I don’t think we should complain about what bowl we might get. Let’s be thankful that we are on the verge of being bowl eligible for a third year in a row. Let’s understand that roughly half of the FBS programs in the country get a bowl invite any given year and even fewer programs get to a bowl game three years in a row. I say, It’s great to be a Mountaineer!
I don't read these comments to being critical of being bowl eligible as that is what they are playing for per post season - however all agree that the SB bowl tie-ins suck and the way of choosing who goes where sucks (I understand the Bowls want as local a team as possible) - as stated by me and many others - after game 1 loss to UGA we were going to Montgomery or Moblie whether we finished 11-1 (with a slim chance at NY6) or 6-6 --- I agree about the initial point - the regular season is better in FBS but the post-season is not --- But this is where we are and can only hope the SB Admn can work some better deals for its top teams ---
ps - many of us don't have the funds or health to travel to lower Alabama or NOLA - I'm sure it is fun but let's not knock the ones who can't make that trip ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:17 am

I get that a more prestigious bowl against a P5 or AAC opponent is preferable, but Montgomery was a blast...the seats are much closer to the game so you're right in the action. It's also usually a good time slot on national TV, so great exposure. The people down there are awesome, I had fun with a local family at the game that had split loyalties between Auburn & Alabama. They were impressed with TL's play. Montgomery's also safe, whereas as New Orleans is not. Look up the travel warnings for tourists in NO...not good. Don't know anything about Mobile but Orlando would obviously be fun.
The way things are now are not what they will be down the road...but what we do now affects what happens down the road. So, if we do go to Montgomery again, we need to support the team and show up as that will help the program move forward.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:43 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:58 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Seattle, I'm not being a SA here at all but, have you gone to either bowl game in Montgomery? I've gone to both and had an absolute blast both times, way better than any of championship games to me. I do look forward someday to a more regional conference and better bowl opportunities but am satisfied as we are really just starting this FBS journey.
I have been and it was great. As were the semi final game against furman and the national title games

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:57 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
I am in total agreement that I would like to play a higher profile opponent in our bowl matchup. With that being said, my family and I were fortunate enough to get to go to Montgomery for the first bowl game (missed last year due to family conflict). I also attended the Furman semi in 2005 along with the 2007 National Championship game in Chattanooga against Delaware. While I loved playoff atmosphere at the time, I honestly think that the 2015 Camelia Bowl matched any natty run with intensity and fan support. I do love our regular season matchups. I, like most App fans, would love to have a stronger matchup in our bowl setup but will definitely make every effort to go again this December regardless of the venue. Special emphasis on YesAppCans post about this being our START of the FBS journey.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:04 am

The economic realities of the smaller bowls are that they need teams that bring fans so mostly they want close teams. The more fans we bring, the better chance of getting a better bowl (new orleans), but we are only in year 3 and have to continue to have good fan showing at the bowls we do get invited to play in. I really feel that a regional G5 conference is not that far off into the distance and with that will come different bowl tie ins and hopefully better opportunities to play P5 schools in a bowl.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Camellia Bowl III vs Western Michigan

I have been to Montgomery for both bowls. Everything about it has been great.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:55 pm

YesAppCan wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Agree atmosphere was great, crowd stood the whole game and was loud both games. Very Fun and I did go to two of the NC games. Bowl system is fine with me and Mobile or Mont fine. NO would be cool but maybe not in the cards. Orlando ain't happening until we squeak into eligibility. I recall Charleston is in line when expansion is open and SB was mentioned as tie so that's something.

pbscotts

Unread post by pbscotts » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Don't count your chickens.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”