Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Reasons

philponder

Re: Reasons

Unread post by philponder » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:10 am

Watauga72 wrote:Reality check for anyone thinking we'll move and dominate one of these smaller conferences......check out the record of UMass since they joined the MAC.

Not too impressive for UMass, but maybe the MAC is not a bad conference.
Didn't UMass just join the MAC last year? It takes longer than that!

cbarrier90
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:15 am

Watauga72 wrote:Reality check for anyone thinking we'll move and dominate one of these smaller conferences......check out the record of UMass since they joined the MAC.

Northern Illinois is going to the Orange Bowl. The two teams in the MAC title game were ranked in the Top 25.

There are many reasons the UMass move to the MAC is failing, but suffice it to say they had done little to nothing of consequence in the CAA since we beat them in Chattanooga in 2006.

ggasu

Unread post by ggasu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:35 am

philponder wrote:

Didn't take Marshall long, they won the MAC conference the first 4 years after they moved up. They only lost twice the first three years of MAC conference play, going 9-1 the first year. 9-1 the second, and 10-0 in conference the third year.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:38 am

ggasu wrote:
philponder wrote:

Didn't take Marshall long, they won the MAC conference the first 4 years after they moved up. They only lost twice the first three years of MAC conference play, going 9-1 the first year. 9-1 the second, and 10-0 in conference the third year.
And they were punished pretty harshly for all the rules violations they were committing during that time period.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:53 am

Saint3333 wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:A decision was made and Coach Moore was part of it, all parties knew the conclusion many months ago. Time to celebrate Coach Moore's great 24 years at App and look forward to supporting the next head coach. Anything more is speculation and does nothing but harm a member or members of the Appalachian Family. Have it if you must Cline.
What's not in the first quote that Charlie said that indicated that it was basically a two way decision? After I think about what happened last late summer and the previous Spring, I feel that Moore stepping down was the correct move, but to insinuate that Jerry had a choice is probably not clearly true. Honesty is always the best policy if -one chooses to comment at all.
Honestly it was decided during the offseason.
In August I was told this was agreed upon at the end of last season, but I wasn't sure if it was true at the time. It sounds like Coach decided he wanted another season at some point , but Cobb stuck to the agreement. So nothing he said was false.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:58 am

JTApps1 wrote:In August I was told this was agreed upon at the end of last season, but I wasn't sure if it was true at the time. It sounds like Coach decided he wanted another season at some point , but Cobb stuck to the agreement. So nothing he said was false.
I heard the same thing but was not sure how true it was. To me, since Cobb stuck to his guns, this means Cobb had already been talking to and/or offered someone the job. Should be an interesting few weeks!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:28 am

The MAC is definitely a good conference, with NIU heading to the Orange Bowl and Kent State being in the Top 25 most of the season. They've got 7 teams going bowling this year.

UMass was 16-17 over their last three FCS seasons as well. They have had some very good teams but as a program, are not comparable to Appalachian.

Watauga72

Unread post by Watauga72 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:45 am

Didn't post about UMass to suggest we not go FBS, just as reality check to some posters I've seen who expect to dominate at the next level. From a financial perspective, their lack of attendance this year has left the athletic dept in a hole but they're forecasting that next season they'll be in good shape simply due to the much higher payments they get as an FBS team visiting big programs. IIRC, if we move up our payout from Michigan goes up significantly. If UMass can avg 11K fans and come out ahead next year, we should be able to handle the finances of the move.

appthunder90

Unread post by appthunder90 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:11 pm

ASUGoose wrote:
appthunder90 wrote:
ASUGoose wrote:
CUSA isn't going to take an FCS school unless they are in a larger metro market. They would instead pick from FBS instead. Our only option in my opinion is Sun Belt. I'm not sure the MAC would take on FCS schools either.
what about umass?
Boston market?
I misunderstood your post, I didnt realize that you were implying the market contingency extended to the MAC as well. I thought you were just saying the MAC would not accept an fcs school

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:21 pm

ASUGoose wrote:
appthunder90 wrote:
ASUGoose wrote:
CUSA isn't going to take an FCS school unless they are in a larger metro market. They would instead pick from FBS instead. Our only option in my opinion is Sun Belt. I'm not sure the MAC would take on FCS schools either.
what about umass?
Boston market?
Hell yeah I love Boston Market. Get the sweet potato caserole.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:25 pm

appthunder90 wrote:
ASUGoose wrote:
appthunder90 wrote:
ASUGoose wrote:
what about umass?
Boston market?
I misunderstood your post, I didnt realize that you were implying the market contingency extended to the MAC as well. I thought you were just saying the MAC would not accept an fcs school
Yeah sorry for the confusion there. While I like the idea of MAC in football and CAA in bball, I am not sure if that would happen quickly. I see us getting a Sun Belt invite shortly to which I don't think we can't afford to pass on in hopes to work a deal with the MAC and CAA but I could be wrong.

Ideally I think we just need to get to FBS ASAP and then we become a more legitmate option for a MAC or CUSA as compared to where we are now in FCS and while not being located in a larger metro market.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:53 pm

ASUGoose wrote:
appthunder90 wrote:
ASUGoose wrote:
appthunder90 wrote:
ASUGoose wrote:
what about umass?
Boston market?
Yeah sorry for the confusion there. While I like the idea of MAC in football and CAA in bball, I am not sure if that would happen quickly. I see us getting a Sun Belt invite shortly to which I don't think we can't afford to pass on in hopes to work a deal with the MAC and CAA but I could be wrong.

Ideally I think we just need to get to FBS ASAP and then we become a more legitmate option for a MAC or CUSA as compared to where we are now in FCS and while not being located in a larger metro market.
I just wish more folks could understand that it is a step process and we would not necessarily be stuck in whatever conference we start out with. But then again there seem to be a lot of college grads today who say they can't find a job and when questions begin to be asked it turns out they are setting their expectations WAY too high to start out. So maybe that's just a tale of our society these days.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”