Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Foot Shooting

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Foot Shooting

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Penalties negated 14 points and set them up for one. Turnovers cost us points and gave them a field goal to win the game. Poor play calling on last drive with a 3rd and 2 to ice the game. In spite of the plethora of mistakes and injuries we were in it. I hate to lose I'm spoiled. Encouraged about our future with skill players we are seeing. We will be okay. But we are not good enough to win when you shoot yourself in both feet. Game over. Focus on the next one.

WataugaMan

Re: Foot Shooting

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Good teams find a way to win. Others???????????? Confused why some worry about Satt leaving, he's going nowhere.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:03 pm

To break from my norm as the leader of the Rose-Colored Glasses Club, the call on 3rd and 1 with the jet sweep was one of the worst calls I have EVER seen - 2 downs to get 1 yard and you run out the clock - win the game - that was so disappointing ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:08 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:03 pm
To break from my norm as the leader of the Rose-Colored Glasses Club, the call on 3rd and 1 with the jet sweep was one of the worst calls I have EVER seen - 2 downs to get 1 yard and you run out the clock - win the game - that was so disappointing ---
Agreed. I figured Lamb would take it on a keeper on that play. Nothing would've worked there, as our O line was blown up.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:11 pm

The previous statement per the offense and the prevent defense for the defense are what lost the game - yeah, the penalties were really bad, the offense looked anemic, the defense giving up a 95 yard run --- those and all the other mistakes but we still win the game if not for the coaching decisions mentioned above ---

And, as I stated in another thread, this game is irrelevant to our season as a whole - it meant a number under the W or a number under the L - We all would prefer a W but this has no bearing on the SB race nor where we go in a bowl game --- And remember, again not an excuse, but we had 6 freshmen playing on offense -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:30 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:11 pm
The previous statement per the offense and the prevent defense for the defense are what lost the game - yeah, the penalties were really bad, the offense looked anemic, the defense giving up a 95 yard run --- those and all the other mistakes but we still win the game if not for the coaching decisions mentioned above ---

And, as I stated in another thread, this game is irrelevant to our season as a whole - it meant a number under the W or a number under the L - We all would prefer a W but this has no bearing on the SB race nor where we go in a bowl game --- And remember, again not an excuse, but we had 6 freshmen playing on offense -
Three of them true Freshmen.

4appst8

Unread post by 4appst8 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:46 pm

I’m not much of a poster, rather prefer to read comments from others but I can’t help myself this time. I think most of us have seen this coming and I honestly believe the loss may be the best thing for us. The wins this year that so easily could have gone the other way tend to gloss over our issues and this being an out of conference away game matters not to the bigger goal this year. I agree with what others have already said about the play calling, tons of dropped passes and turnovers today as well. My half full glass tells me we needed this to get our focus back, and I am super excited about our future with the level of talent we have in these younger guys! I’d say the penalties and play calling are the most concerning piece from my perspective. While frustrated, I remain all in.

samplessjs

Unread post by samplessjs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:49 pm

Agree with most posts. Just a footnote. ON the UM final drive in regulation they had no time outs and a moving clock. Their only option was to attack the boundary and get out of bounds. So we choose not to defend the sidelines?!? They do the obvious and march down for a FG. I'm puzzled on that one. Not giving them the side line is a no brainer in that situation. With a minute to go we played defense like there was 15 seconds left.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:52 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
I am also a member of said club, but I agree completely with this. It seems all of the problems we have seen at one time or another this season showed up at once in this game and as many have predicted, it cost us a game. Bad, undisciplined penalties, sub par O line play, seeming lackluster preparation, definitely lackluster performance and really puzzling play calls, who knows how many dropped passes and an inability to offensively close out the game. Now add to that the infuriating decision to play prevent when we had completely shut them down the entire second half. Ironically, our place kicking was superb tonight. No question we gave this game away tonight and that stings, but putting those glasses back on now, we are still unbeaten in the conference and hold our championship destiny in our hands. Hopefully this embarrassing loss will wake everyone up and I mean players and coaches and get them back on track.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:12 pm

As a proud member of the rose colored glasses crowd, I can't say that I disagree with the jet sweep, rather running it to the left side. That side of the line is a mess. Johnson has regressed and he his being flagged more than anyone. The right side is where we have reliable, more consistent play.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:30 pm

Reminiscent of the Panthers call against the Eagles 3rd and two and Shula lets Cam pass twice.......

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Promising young skill players need blockers. I only see two and they won't be back next year. O line and punting concern me more than anything for the immediate and long term success of the program .

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Over the past three years... Lamm, Chapman, Collmar and even Collins with all his penalties and bad snaps were significant losses. Their replacements have not really improved their blocking technique and physicality since filling these positions. I will say snapping accuracy has improved, but everything else, not so much. It takes an O-line coach that knows how to teach each player to get better at their craft and can motivate each of them to dominate in the trenches as these former players did under Ledford. Hope Clark gets better at preparing players to replace Gossett and Nunn or we may have to change our offensive inside and outside zone blocking scheme. I’m not happy with our O-line this year...We need to see changes in productivity and current trajectory.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Atlapp88

Unread post by Atlapp88 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:54 pm

The penalty situation has been going on for many years....

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:27 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:43 pm
Over the past three years... Lamm, Chapman, Collmar and even Collins with all his penalties and bad snaps were significant losses. Their replacements have not really improved their blocking technique and physicality since filling these positions. I will say snapping accuracy has improved, but everything else, not so much. It takes an O-line coach that knows how to teach each player to get better at their craft and can motivate each of them to dominate in the trenches as these former players did under Ledford. Hope Clark gets better at preparing players to replace Gossett and Nunn or we may have to change our offensive inside and outside zone blocking scheme. I’m not happy with our O-line this year...We need to see changes in productivity and current trajectory.
Ledford was a way better OL coach than Clark.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:41 pm

Hard lesson sent to our young team today, get busy living or get busy dying! :evil:

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:16 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:43 pm
Two 4th and short we did not get. Sorry that is a desire situation. Man up and get a yard. Granted, on was a poor decision on give and take with the RB and QB but regardless, 1 freakin yard either time and the outcome is different. Again, man on man, who is more physical and wants it more. Oklahoma Drill!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:17 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sunshine Squad, Coach! :shock: :lol:

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 am

What concerns me most is the fact we have made bad teams look really good all year. After Texas state we say their defense is much improved, and the next week they get obliterated by UT San Antonio.
It takes 6 interceptions to beat NM state by 14, and they just barely squeaked by a winless ga southern 2 weeks ago.
We rally from down 20 to beat Idaho by 3, who has a losing record.
Coastal, gave us a close game, who just got easily beaten by Texas state. Ironically, their only win this season came from... UMass.
I know good teams find a way to win, but great teams don’t let inferior competition hang around and believe, which is what we have done with every single opponent thus far (savannah state doesn’t count, Watauga high could beat them)
We could just as easily be 1-6. We only play half the game or less offensively, defense is great, then gets gashed by bad teams, stupid penalties at the worst times kill drives and take points off the board, we should call it our not-so- special teams unit, as this has been a liability all year.
I’m not trying to be negative because on paper we are undefeated in our conference at this point, but we have some really bad patterns week in and week out that finally bit us in the ass yesterday, that must be fixed going forward.
Ga state and southern will not be easy wins in the coming weeks, and you can bet both of the teams are focusing on beating us and getting their teams a “signature” win

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:38 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:41 pm
Hard lesson sent to our young team today, get busy living or get busy dying! :evil:
Damn right!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”