Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

For my buddy bcoach and others ---

WVAPPeer
School: Other

For my buddy bcoach and others ---

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:19 pm

OK - I know all of us dislike stupid penalties - I am interested in reading what you guys think about this play and what would you post if this exact play happened to APP ---
http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/10/2 ... ver-video/
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: For my buddy bcoach and others ---

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:46 pm

I don't like excessive celebration penalties most of the time IF the players are not taunting the opposing team. If they are just jumping around high five'ing, slapping each other I don't think they should call it. Let college players have some fun. If they taunt and get in face of opponent then slap a penalty on them.

On that specific play, totally ridiculous call by ref. Ref should have been ejected and not allowed to call next game.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:17 pm

First off, I can't understand why the Ref allowed the call to stand. That is bush league to make that call. I understand that you want to be consistent, but if you are going to call that then every player that dives into the end zone unnecessarily should be flagged and the pemalty enforced at the point at which they left their feet to dive.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:46 pm

I agree with you guys - but my question was - if this was called on APP would some claim it was a stupid undisciplined action by an APP player and that the coaches didn't care??? ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:15 pm

I have watched it three times and I am sorry but I don't see what he did.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:30 pm

He made two or three high steps. That draws a flag that is a 15 yard penalty from the point of infraction. It's been a rule for three or four years, I'm thinking.

I really don't see a pronounced high step, but there are some small ones there. It's a flag, by the letter of the law, but as they say on ESPN: come on, man.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:43 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:15 pm
I have watched it three times and I am sorry but I don't see what he did.
Yeah...come on man... :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 pm

And by the way, Tulsa lost by 4...
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Did not realize that a high step was illegal. I did not see anything that in my opinion would draw a flag. I guess anything that is not PC draws a flag. I would not consider what he did bad if an App player did it and was penalized. I would not hold the coaches accountable for this.

manonabuffalo

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:54 pm

The rules read excessive celebration is :
"Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon himself (or themselves)"; in addition, Rule 9-2, Article 1(a)(2) asserts that "After a score or any other play, the player in possession immediately must return the ball to an official or leave it near the dead-ball spot."

That leaves a lot of interpretation......

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:07 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:46 pm
I agree with you guys - but my question was - if this was called on APP would some claim it was a stupid undisciplined action by an APP player and that the coaches didn't care??? ---
Your question and this video shows how mental toughness and emotions become blurred lines. Coaches can use things like this to teach players to be mentally tough, but how emotions can take over. As for your question, I would have a problem if this call were made on App or their opponent. The only discipline problem with the call is the refs.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:21 pm

I’m glad the NFL loosened their celebration rules. What a horsesh!t call.

FeartheNeers

Unread post by FeartheNeers » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:00 pm

Absolutely laughable that this was called, although the effect is certainly less humorous if you were a Tulsa fan. College football is a GAME, not a dissertation or a courtroom defense. The expectation of total formality and reservation by a group of 18-22 year old guys competing against one another seems totally out of place given the context of what football is. If this happened to be called against App, I would be furious, but for the same reason Tulsa fans should be furious. That wasn't a mistake by that player or his coaches, that was a mistake driven by the current climate of college football.

APP72

Unread post by APP72 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 pm

UNBELIEVABLE horse shit call by the official! He should be reprimanded and suspended!
A CHAMPION IS SOMEONE WHO GETS UP WHEN HE CAN’T!
JACK DEMPSEY

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:08 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Didn’t watch the video but it sounds like the ref should have left the flag in his pocket. At the root of your question, I think you are questioning a large part of the fan base for complaining of undisciplined play and getting too many penalties. The fact is, through this weekend, App ranks 114 on penalty yards per game, at almost 70 a game average, up 10.1 yards per game last year. Maybe we get hosed every week, or maybe we are undisciplined. Could be young players, could be a lot of things, but people trying to blame the refs every week or pretend it’s not an issue are fooling themselves. I do generally subscribe that the hit on the qb this past week was a bad play on our part, not because it was illegal per se, but because a hit like that will always be a toss up for the ref these days especially against a qb. Players have to adapt to these crap rules and play smarter. Again, not that the qb had any chance of making a play on the ball, but just pushing him on this play would have been just as effective and not gotten a penalty. Instead we had to try and make a statement and blast the guy, didn’t pay off.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Ii's hard to say. Although I barely noticed anything showy about the the receivers actions on the my first viewing, it became ever so slightly more evident on my second and third replays. The bottom line is his actions hurt his team. I am not sure tiny little things like this can be coached out of an 18-22 year old's head, but barring any other penalty(s) on the play, had the receiver kept running full speed to the end zone we would not be discussing this.

BTW, for style points I will give this young man a 1 on scale of 10. Armanti's airborne somersault into the end zone versus Richmond, is, to this day, a solid 10.

App74

Unread post by App74 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:29 am

Goes without saying this is a ridiculous call. Reminds me of a call on Marcus Cox when he had a big run and was forced out of bounds in front of sections 110/111 (state side). The crowd was loud and showing him some love. He responded by raising his fist and motioning toward us thereby showing appreciation. He was flagged. Rule or not, it was unnecessary.

Lots of points being made on here about youth and inexperience leading to an increase in penalties. That is a valid point but let's not forget inexperience can be a factor within officiating crews as well. I have been pulling chains for many years at the local high school where I have seen some good officials mixed with some that needed more experience (which is how one gains experience). At the first series of one game this year, we had an official insist the clip be placed on a hash mark. We were confused but had to wait until a change of possession to get him to reconsider. He said, "You're right. I don't know what I was thinking."

Whether it be players, coaches, officials, your boss or whomever, experience makes a difference.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:11 am

I agree it was a bad call. However, I hate solo celebrations in team sports. Celebrate in a respectful way with your teammates. YOU DIDN'T DO IT ALL BY YOURSELF! Sorry, the old O-lineman in me just came out a bit.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:43 am

apporange - "Didn’t watch the video but it sounds like the ref should have left the flag in his pocket. At the root of your question, I think you are questioning a large part of the fan base for complaining of undisciplined play and getting too many penalties."

Yes and No - I am not questioning the complaining of undisciplined play or getting too many penalties - I am asking our fans to carefully consider to whom they blame - I posted this Tulsa video to highlight how so many of the calls in a football game are subject to a referee "interpretation". As I have stated earlier in several threads a penalty/penalties can legitimately be called on every play - I don't remember seeing a football game where either offensive holding or defensive holding or both hasn't occurred on just about every play --- I was/am looking for a discussion on what is undisciplined and what is not - Clearly some penalties are 100% undisciplined ...
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 am

Don't see anything undisciplined in the Tulsa play and wouldn't see it if it were an App receiver. Ref who made this call apparently thinks he's more important than the game and should not be on a football field.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”