Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App State looks to correct mistakes going into game with ULM

MtnDevil95
School: Appalachian State

Re: App State looks to correct mistakes going into game with ULM

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:03 am

It seems to me that coaches admitting they made a mistake on a play call is a slippery slope. Unless you call for a jump pass over the middle inches from the goal line on the last play of the Super Bowl, there are way too many factors that go into a successful play beyond the calling of the actual play.

I think unless it's as obvious as the Seahawk's play I alluded to above, the slippery slope of admitting play calling was the root cause of a failure is not worth the reward some fan may feel that his coach admitted culpability in a specific situation like last Saturday. It's best just not to mention it, and if asked directly, I'd be fine with Satt or any coach giving a equivocation that doesn't really answer the question. That play does not warrant the can of worms answering that question or offering culpability on play calling would open.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:26 am

We all need to consider the difference between a "play that doesn't work" and a "bad play call" - they are not mutually exclusive - take the Seattle pass from the 1 yard line with Marshawn Lynch in your backfield - certainly a play "that didn't work" as well as a "bad play call" = As mentioned previously, as a Patriot fan I was happy --- :>)
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:35 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:45 am
App91 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:10 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 pm
Satt may tell his players not to listen to your liberal press because it is like Rat Poison
What?
Guess you have not been watching many Game Days on the 4 letter network or Finebaum! :lol:
yeah I do remember something about rat poison now - what was it again?
That's what Saban called the media talking to Bama players about how good they were. Of course the blowhard scribes from the 4 letter network made a big deal about it.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:24 pm

That's right - he said something like when you guys tell them how good they are it's like rat poison - thanks --- I love Saban - he doesn't play the coachspeak games
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:31 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:00 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:25 am
Im not holding Satt's feet to the fire at all...but use a little logic here:
Defense has 9 guys in the box...it's 3rd and 2. We can run out the clock with a first down.
What is the worst thing that can happen if the jet sweep downs work...we lose 5 yards.

All I said while Satt was pointing out the mistakes of fumbles and penalties he could have said
" yeah, and in hindsight we should have run the ball into the right side or considered an option run with Taylor and at least given us the option of going for it on 4th down." That is on me" It is good to hear coaches own mistakes instead of ignoring them or being defensive( and Im not saying Satt was defensive).
Just playing devil's advocate here, but if the obvious thing was to run the ball on the right side then maybe he thought the UMass defensive coach thought that as well, so he ran the sweep to the left to catch them off-guard and it just didn't work. I've given up trying to second guess play calling because those guys (the coaching staff) know way more about the players on the field on both sides. They also have a better understanding of the game situation in the moment and don't have the luxury of seeing if a play works before deciding if it's a good idea or not as we do. Perhaps the players didn't execute that play the way the coaches wanted them to or someone missed an assignment or the UMass defense did something differently in that situation than they normally do. I doubt that Satt ever thinks he's mistake-free, but in this situation if he had run it to the right and it didn't work then we'd all be saying "why did he keep going to the right because they were totally expecting that!? Why not try something on the left that was unexpected." Just saying it's easy to second guess and the coaches only have so many seconds to call the play and get the right personnel on the field to execute it.
Good post.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:50 pm

From the ULM coach: “This Saturday is about an opportunity to play App State,” Viator said. “I’m a big fan and always have been back to my FCS days. I love the way they play. I like the way their football team is built. The football team is built on speed, they play hard, the run the football, they stop the run and they have a chance to win every game they play.”

That's the kind of respect our team works hard for.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:10 am

Looking forward to seeing the follow up article to this "...and they didn't"

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:19 am

It's not what we didn't do as much as what they did......we are banged up and our secondary is porous.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:52 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:19 am
our secondary is porous.
This is one of the big surprises to me, after the reputation that Duck and Hayes had earlier in the season, and the fact that we have a senior strong safety who has started since he was a freshman. I suppose being porous doesn't necessarily relate to interceptions, though.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:59 am

I have to agree - our pass defense is not what I expected - have made some big plays but guys also have been wide open - Now, I am not laying blame without knowing the inside story -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:01 am

Appears SB offenses have figured out Woodys D also.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”