Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App State looks to correct mistakes going into game with ULM

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

App State looks to correct mistakes going into game with ULM

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 am

Headline from the WSJ today; Mentioned correcting every mistake but the stupid jet sweep...........Got to own those coach!

BUTCH1991

Re: App State looks to correct mistakes going into game with ULM

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:13 am

No one would be complaining about the jet sweep if our LG/LT didn't allow the d-lineman through without touching him.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:12 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:13 am
No one would be complaining about the jet sweep if our LG/LT didn't allow the d-lineman through without touching him.
Yes and No - what you described did happen - however, as I see it, our purpose there was to continue to make first downs and run out the clock, so I can't agree with your summation ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:14 am

It's also called a numbers game. They had 10 guys within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, pretty tough to block that and get somebody to the edge.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Plus We owned the right side all day...so we run left. We had 2 downs to make 2 yards..........It was a coaching error.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Personally, I don't blame them for trying something different. We had been stuffed on previous short yardage downs and turned the ball over on downs because of it. Jet sweep would really be my choice of play calls. I would have liked some form of option for Tweetsie or to sneak one of our TEs out to pick it up.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:10 pm

I'd like to see Nate Woody modify our late-game, prevent defense to one that more closely mirrors the defense we typically use. I understand the rationale of keeping everything in front of us when our opponent is desperate, but we're being too darn soft. We were too soft against Texas State and, if we're being honest, it could have cost us a game we had well in hand. We were too soft against a slightly inferior Wake Forest team and they exploited it for a victory. We were too soft against a significantly inferior UMass team that had no business being in the game, much less pulling off the upset. I'm not saying the defense shouldn't adjust to the situation, but it appears we're abandoning everything we're good at in the last two minutes.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:20 pm

True....BUT anything from side to side is a risk when you need 2 yards and have 2 downs to do it.........and running it to the left instead to the right where we owned UMASS's DLine.....
Just saying it was a coaching error to call that play...

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:51 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:10 pm
I'd like to see Nate Woody modify our late-game, prevent defense to one that more closely mirrors the defense we typically use. I understand the rationale of keeping everything in front of us when our opponent is desperate, but we're being too darn soft. We were too soft against Texas State and, if we're being honest, it could have cost us a game we had well in hand. We were too soft against a slightly inferior Wake Forest team and they exploited it for a victory. We were too soft against a significantly inferior UMass team that had no business being in the game, much less pulling off the upset. I'm not saying the defense shouldn't adjust to the situation, but it appears we're abandoning everything we're good at in the last two minutes.
I agree with everything except the Wake game reference. The defense played exceptionally well, even getting that last 3 and out when we needed the ball back right at the end. The Wake loss, in my opinion sits squarely on the shoulders of the special teams (punt coverage and place kicking). Tx State and UMass I think you've got a good point.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:05 pm
Plus We owned the right side all day...so we run left. We had 2 downs to make 2 yards..........It was a coaching error.
Would like to think that we can trust the line to line up and knock them off the ball straight ahead and get 1 or 2 yards. But, they had stopped us twice prior.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:40 pm

App91 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:05 pm
Would like to think that we can trust the line to line up and knock them off the ball straight ahead and get 1 or 2 yards. But, they had stopped us twice prior.
It was 3rd and 2 so somewhere we picked up 8

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:05 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:51 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:10 pm
I agree with everything except the Wake game reference. The defense played exceptionally well, even getting that last 3 and out when we needed the ball back right at the end. The Wake loss, in my opinion sits squarely on the shoulders of the special teams (punt coverage and place kicking). Tx State and UMass I think you've got a good point.
I was referring to the drive with 7:22 left in which Wake Forest took its 20-19 lead: 10 plays, 71 yards, 3:06 off the clock. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:35 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:48 pm
Personally, I don't blame them for trying something different. We had been stuffed on previous short yardage downs and turned the ball over on downs because of it. Jet sweep would really be my choice of play calls. I would have liked some form of option for Tweetsie or to sneak one of our TEs out to pick it up.
Well I would say we were stuffed because of poor spots by the refs at least twice - late in the game Coach Satterfield could have challenged a similar bad spot ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:11 pm

We don't have an under center 1 to 2 yard play. I am no expert but I just don't understand that.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 pm

bcoach wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:11 pm
We don't have an under center 1 to 2 yard play. I am no expert but I just don't understand that.
No, but many teams don't now - take shotgun snaps in their own end zone --- :?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:50 am

My point to the thread is that the coaching staff needs to admit when they make a mistake.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:50 am
My point to the thread is that the coaching staff needs to admit when they make a mistake.
Only to the team and staff - they don't need to admit anything to us - I say that because I did not hear the coaches publicly blaming players for what happened in that game - and they shouldn't, but if they did that publicly then they would need to take blame publicly for their own mistakes - I'm in the corner that the coaches should never blame a player publicly ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:40 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:50 am
Only to the team and staff - they don't need to admit anything to us - I say that because I did not hear the coaches publicly blaming players for what happened in that game - and they shouldn't, but if they did that publicly then they would need to take blame publicly for their own mistakes - I'm in the corner that the coaches should never blame a player publicly ---
[/quote

Of course coaches will not blame players in college BUT It's refreshing to hear a coach say " You know that wasn't the best play to have run in that situation, Especially with 9 defensive players in the box."

Players miss blocks drop passes and he did mention that Harrington had two fumbles..... I think it's ok for the staff to say "we F'd up"

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:54 am

I think folks need to drop the whole "they need to admit they made a bad call" crap. Sorry, but they don't owe you that. I've heard Coach Satterfield acknowledge that he/coaches made mistakes before and didn't put the team in the best position. I don't see this as an issue and I don't know why anyone worries about it. Contrary to what people seem to believe today, the general public does NOT have the right to know everything that they want to know just because they are curious and they do NOT have the right to demand public accounting for every perceived mistake that gets makes on the football field.

We have an excellent coach and staff. We have talented YOUNG players who want to win. Let's just move on and let them make the adjustments they can make this week. Time to beat ULM!

GO APPS!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:04 am

I disagree completely. IF the coach is going to comment on dropped passes fumbles and penalties why not comment on a critical play call? I think they do owe us that. Im not saying we dont have a good staff and good young talent. Far from it. Players in postgame pressers own up to errors...Why not the Coaches?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”