Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Lot Opening Times for GS

Goapps15
School: Appalachian State

Re: Lot Opening Times for GS

Unread post by Goapps15 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:54 pm

appgrouch wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:08 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:00 pm
To me I see no difference between closing campus at 3 PM vs a teacher deciding to a cancel class randomly during a semester. Just my personal opinion.
Academic choice vs Athletics mandate
Without athletics this university wouldn't be anywhere close to what it is academically now.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:11 pm

The game time was announced far enough in advance to accommodate, its not like its a surprise game. Make it an official 1 day break, give kids and teachers a chance to reassess and organize if needed and release for a day if they like football. Seems like a no-brainer.

tclayton

Unread post by tclayton » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:26 pm

I’ll be the first to admit that I didn’t take advantage of extra curriculars during my time in Boone and I regret it. Building relationships with fellow students outside of the classroom is just as important as being in the classroom. See y’all at 3:30.

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:45 pm

I'd be interested to hear how other schools handle the Thursday night football games. It's not like we have 40k rolling into town and have to deal with major traffic issues. I'm more interested in understanding the relationship between athletics and academics departments at other universities. This just doesn't seem like a big deal or at least I don't hear much stink about it with regards to other schools.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:49 pm

QueencityApp wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:45 pm
I'd be interested to hear how other schools handle the Thursday night football games. It's not like we have 40k rolling into town and have to deal with major traffic issues. I'm more interested in understanding the relationship between athletics and academics departments at other universities. This just doesn't seem like a big deal or at least I don't hear much stink about it with regards to other schools.
I think Tennessee canceled classes totally for our Thursday night game with them last year but they're bringing in 100K+ fans.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:57 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:40 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:55 am
Gonzo wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 am
Source: student and faculty-wide internal email.

Everts is STILL completely detached from the culture of ASU.

3:30 pm
Broyhill
Edwin
Garwood
Greenwood
Hill Street
Holmes
Justice
Legends
Library
Peacock
Quinn
Rivers
Schaefer
Stadium
SRC

5:00 pm
Beasley
University Drive
Jet

Obviously the administration intends to work a normal day and they’re willing to selfishly eliminate all young alumni tailgating for the convenience.

Direct hate mail to Everts.
That would still give 2 hours of tail-gateing if you pulled in a bit after 5 and packed up in time to get to the kickoff.
This guy clearly does not tailgate. Two hours is a joke, especially for a game against Southern.
Correct, I don't. I appreciate those that do, but I like getting my rear into the stadium ASAP and watching all the pre-game and such. I also enjoy a nice walk through campus if I park over at Grace Lutheran.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:03 pm

I have a solution to the whole problem: play the damn game on Saturday.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:16 pm

As a parent of 2 college students, 1 at App, they tell me about classes being cancelled on a regular AND RANDOM basis for no reason other than the professor doesn’t want to have class on the day. Do I get a tuition credit? Do they make the class up? ...no and no!

The fact that the pin head academia type get all holier than thou when it’s an athletics event is what pisses me off.

Other schools have better leadership. ...We used to...but no longer.

#FIREeverts

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 pm

It is all about me. That's what I'm hearing.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:04 pm
It’s one day a year. Don’t be a drama queen. We’ve been through the economics of football as it fits into The University’s mission 1,000 times on this message board and I won’t belabor that point. It’s also a major part of the App State experience that kids are paying that $$$ to enjoy. Cancelling classes (yes, classes should be cancelled) for one day is not that disruptive to students’ educations. Give me a break.

And I WISH we were still young alumni. I miss half-price.
You are calling for hate mail and I am the drama queen. Nice.

I don't have a problem with classes being cancelled voluntarily. My concern is that it should not be mandatory. I have already mentioned labs in the sciences as one concern. Some.classes only meet once a week for a.few.hours on one evening. That is a lot of missed time.

All I ask is having some parking spaces set aside, some will NOT be used I am sure, for faculty and staff that need to be at work or want to hold class to have some reasonable parking, not normal parking even, but something reasonable on campus. For those YC members out of a spot then let them move to another lot. I just can't believe that can't be done. Those that want to go to the game can and will get there. Still time for some tailgating, AND classes can go on. There are not that many evening classes, but one or 1000 classes, that is the mission of the university at the end of the day.

I am glad my daughter will be there and glad she can do so without missing class nor having an.evenimg class cancelled. I'll be there with her but I am.also glad Astronomy labs are still going on and support that instructor 100%.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:59 pm

hapapp wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 pm
No. I’m saying the hypocrisy is ridiculous! If everyone is so committed to protecting the sanctity of class time, especially our horrible chancellor, then there would be shared outrage over cancelled classes any other time it happens. They can’t pick and choose when they’re outraged.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:08 pm

If it is only one day per year, it should not be a big deal to cancel classes for that afternoon. It is a chance to showcase your university. Plenty of schools do it. It also allows students to get rowdier sooner. Most fans tailgate for 4-5 hours or more. With as small a crowd as we will have, we need fans to be rowdy.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:47 pm

See, as a current student I see both sides. Being the avid fan of App football that I am, anytime we have a Thursday game I make a note of it before the season begins and kinda plan to just not go to any of my classes that day. Basically I make an executive decision to just not go to class all day. I get all my work done ahead of time, to have a nice, stress-free and rowdy day. It usually works and a lot of times professors just cancel anyways. I hope something similar happens this year but most of my professors on Thursday's seem to have decided to keep going strong with classes on Thursday. Whatever. Most of my professors seem to be pretty understanding anyways, one even posed the idea of having class at a bar on Thursday :lol: I WOULD skip all of them, but my last class (from 2-3:15) a pointless gen ed class I'm in (I'm a senior) has some small group bs where every group has one day where they have to stay in class and present some findings or something ridiculous like that. Of course, my small group, in a class of probably 50ish people, happened to get chosen to present our stuff next Thursday so I'm furious lmao. I'll probably show up buzzed, but not getting out till 3:15 is a bummer for me.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:48 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:59 pm
hapapp wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 pm
No. I’m saying the hypocrisy is ridiculous! If everyone is so committed to protecting the sanctity of class time, especially our horrible chancellor, then there would be shared outrage over cancelled classes any other time it happens. They can’t pick and choose when they’re outraged.
I am not overly fond of any cancelled classes. I also know things happen in life sickness/family situations to name a few. Weather is another thing that is hard to ignore now. So many staff have to live off the mountain or a long drive away that snow can be a problem. And there is a difference in scale between a class here or there being cancelled and the entire campus shutting down. I don't care for cancelling classes for convocation either. Hold convocation in the evening and don't force the closure of classes then either.

App74

Unread post by App74 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:10 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:47 pm
See, as a current student I see both sides. Being the avid fan of App football that I am, anytime we have a Thursday game I make a note of it before the season begins and kinda plan to just not go to any of my classes that day. Basically I make an executive decision to just not go to class all day. I get all my work done ahead of time, to have a nice, stress-free and rowdy day. It usually works and a lot of times professors just cancel anyways. I hope something similar happens this year but most of my professors on Thursday's seem to have decided to keep going strong with classes on Thursday. Whatever. Most of my professors seem to be pretty understanding anyways, one even posed the idea of having class at a bar on Thursday :lol: I WOULD skip all of them, but my last class (from 2-3:15) a pointless gen ed class I'm in (I'm a senior) has some small group bs where every group has one day where they have to stay in class and present some findings or something ridiculous like that. Of course, my small group, in a class of probably 50ish people, happened to get chosen to present our stuff next Thursday so I'm furious lmao. I'll probably show up buzzed, but not getting out till 3:15 is a bummer for me.
Imagine for a moment..........making plans and getting work done ahead of time. If only administration and/or faculty had such a novel approach.

(Note to diehardapp18: That type of thinking is rare in this BS society. Keep it up and you will prosper.)

jm18668

Unread post by jm18668 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:53 am

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING! Both sides of this discussion, need to take a deep breath and move on. If we were selling out our Thursday night games, I think you could make a valid point to cancel classes for one day. Based on the packages that Yosef Club has put together for this game, I don't expect the stadium to break 20,000. (Hope I'm wrong) Add in the fact that many people will be driving into town and won't arrive until late afternoon, I'm sure that 3:30 tailgate start will work for most people. Let's keep selling tickets, fully fund scholarships, and then when we play again in two years, maybe we will get some additional time.
Brad Manning '99
Raleigh, NC

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:55 am

If the game was sold out and we were going to have 30,000+, I would like to think the class schedule would have been adjusted more. Unfortunately, we will more likely have 1/2 that number of fans attending. My guess is butts in the seats will resemble an old first round “playoff-lite”crowd. It’s unfortunate, but the reality.

Hoping to be proved wrong.

#PutAppvsGnatsBackonSaturdays

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:03 am

Goapps15 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:54 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:08 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:00 pm
To me I see no difference between closing campus at 3 PM vs a teacher deciding to a cancel class randomly during a semester. Just my personal opinion.
Academic choice vs Athletics mandate
Without athletics this university wouldn't be anywhere close to what it is academically now.
If football was disbanded tomorrow, the academics would be fine.
Instead of still paying off the debt on KBS, we could be upgrading classrooms and creating better opportunities for students.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:05 am

AppDawg wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:55 am
If the game was sold out and we were going to have 30,000+, I would like to think the class schedule would have been adjusted more. Unfortunately, we will more likely have 1/2 that number of fans attending. My guess is butts in the seats will resemble an old first round “playoff-lite”crowd. It’s unfortunate, but the reality.

Hoping to be proved wrong.

#PutAppvsGnatsBackonSaturdays
#MakeFootballSaturdayAgain
#ESPNisn'tGonnaPayUsThatMuchAnyway
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 am

I can imagine some of you guys yelling at the TV on a February morning when the local elementary school announces a snow day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”