Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Defense

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Re: Defense

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:45 pm

What bothers me is Satterfields response. He said it wasn’t about what we didn’t do, but what their qb did. ( especially on the last Td)
And that they just had our number today.
I could see that if the qb extended the play with his feet and passed for a 1st down, but giving up a 50 yard td, seems like someone would have to be out of position to allow that big of a play.
And if they have our number all day, that probably means your game plan isn’t working and is predictable. Something that should be fixed by the coaching staff.
I feel like the lack of fire and intensity comes from satts laid back demeanor.
Not all together a bad thing, but sometimes you need a little heart and fire on the sidelines. Like Coach Elliott has for example

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:51 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:30 pm
How do you get a team picked to win the Conference to where we are now:

No leadership!!! Poor Leadership!!
Are you for real? Here's how you really go from being picked to win to where we are now: You lose a butt-load of great starters and have your biggest offensive threat out for most of the season and hobbled when he does play. We are playing something like 11 freshmen! I don't care how talented they are, that is going to have an effect. Some of those guys were pretty good field leaders (Stringer on D, for example) and we are really missing them.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:07 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree, I refuse to put the blame totally on these younger players. Regardless of the youth excuse, when I see the same mistakes week in and week out, I raise an eyebrow. Then again, maybe that's just me.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:27 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:51 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:30 pm
How do you get a team picked to win the Conference to where we are now:

No leadership!!! Poor Leadership!!
Are you for real? Here's how you really go from being picked to win to where we are now: You lose a butt-load of great starters and have your biggest offensive threat out for most of the season and hobbled when he does play. We are playing something like 11 freshmen! I don't care how talented they are, that is going to have an effect. Some of those guys were pretty good field leaders (Stringer on D, for example) and we are really missing them.
Spot on post!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:27 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:07 pm
We'll have to agree to disagree, I refuse to put the blame totally on these younger players. Regardless of the youth excuse, when I see the same mistakes week in and week out, I raise an eyebrow. Then again, maybe that's just me.
So in your mind this is all about poor coaching??? - 3 SB losses in 3 years???
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

pbscotts

Unread post by pbscotts » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Play 10 yards off receivers and what happens? Watch the tape. Bend and break defense.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:43 pm

WestVa: I never said poor coaching, that's your words. However, I do see the same mistakes being made week in and week out, talking about this season.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Let's not act like today was the first time we struggled defensively. When's the last time we gave up 30+ in 4 straight games?

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:15 pm

OK - sorry to lay that on you - someone has mentioned it however - I believe you said you weren't putting the excuse on young players - who or where do you put the blame for the same mistakes week after week? ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:32 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:15 pm
OK - sorry to lay that on you - someone has mentioned it however - I believe you said you weren't putting the excuse on young players - who or where do you put the blame for the same mistakes week after week? ---
I do blame coaches for not adjusting their game plan. We can't play our usual style with the youth. Like you all said they just aren't there from a mental spot. That's to be expected.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:32 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
I do blame coaches for not adjusting their game plan. We can't play our usual style with the youth. Like you all said they just aren't there from a mental spot. That's to be expected.
I get where your coming from, but if we don't continue to play our style with the young kids, how will they learn to play our style?

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:35 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
I get where your coming from, but if we don't continue to play our style with the young kids, how will they learn to play our style?
You have to modify some of it. Simplify it. We play 10 yards off and we get beat over the top. Both of those things can't happen.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
Just how should they adjust their game plan? - they have recruited players to fit their systems - are you talking a play here or there or big adjustments? - I do agree with you that the mental focus hasn't always been there and I am not sure why ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
Just how should they adjust their game plan? - they have recruited players to fit their systems - are you talking a play here or there or big adjustments? - I do agree with you that the mental focus hasn't always been there and I am not sure why ---
It's just the things a Stringer or Boggs know from experience as far as passing lanes, how to blitz, etc. These guys are talented but it's the intangibles.

My thought is simplify terminology and looks. There are times where we have blown assignments.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:50 pm

For some of you old heads, tonight's defensive performance reminded me of 2004 in Chattanooga.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:35 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
You have to modify some of it. Simplify it. We play 10 yards off and we get beat over the top. Both of those things can't happen.
Maybe their WR were too strong to handle in press coverage. Playing off reduces the risk of getting beat over the top by funneling the routes inside to allow for help. Sometimes you have to pick your poison when it comes to game planning.sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:00 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
It's just the things a Stringer or Boggs know from experience as far as passing lanes, how to blitz, etc. These guys are talented but it's the intangibles.

My thought is simplify terminology and looks. There are times where we have blown assignments.
Understand the thought but then the ACQBs on here will complain about scheme. 3-4 is a gap responsibility defense. It is difficult to simplify. You can't get washed out of your gap.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:05 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:00 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

Understand the thought but then the ACQBs on here will complain about scheme. 3-4 is a gap responsibility defense. It is difficult to simplify. You can't get washed out of your gap.
Exactly but there have been plays over the past month where Boggs will literally be screaming at someone to move to protect their "gap." Both big coastal TDs happened that way.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:45 am

Besides stringer, who are we missing on defense due to injury?

App90

Unread post by App90 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:28 am

ASUchipman wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:55 pm
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Our coaches suck and need to be fired. Our players can’t play. We are going to lose. Sounds like the same thing we make fun of other fans for. This is young team due to injuries. We will get better. Everyone needs to back away from the panic button. Good grief it’s funny reading some of this stuff.
As much as I agree with what you are saying. I said last week ASU was in trouble, stupid penalties, poor tackling, bad defensive schemes, young players....Its a recipe for disaster.
I saw this at Umass, there was no urgency yesterday. Playing 10 yards off ULM receivers. Now going forward unless ASU gets some players back. ASU will struggle with Georgia Southern and could lose and lose to ULL, and Georgia State, and mark this they may get left out of a bowl invite. Again the chickens have come home to roost. The mistakes now are magnified and harder to overcome. Reality has been staring us in the face all season. This could change if guys get healthy, but I dont think guys are coming back any time soon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”