Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

OK you guys - BOOKMARK THIS THREAD

diehardapp18
School: Appalachian State

Re: OK you guys - BOOKMARK THIS THREAD

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Does our team really care so little that they don't even worry about caring until they're down by multiple scores?

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:28 pm

As usual, some good points. The offense certainly wasn't the problem today. Having Moore back was a huge plus. I had to miss almost the entire first half because I was working. Fall is a busy time for me with family portraits and today's family included an uncooperative 3 year old and I wanted to kill myself. But anyway, I finished up and got in the car right after Jalen's big catch and run for the TD and the first thing I heard was the announcers saying it was Lamb's third TD pass of the first half! Naturally, I thought we were blowing them out! Imaging my shock when I heard we were down 28-24.

Anyway, I think the season really turned south on us with that WF loss, especially the way we lost it. The team has just not shown the same spark since then and it's a damn shame. But on the plus side, all these freshman we're playing, man I think that really bodes well for the future. If Try can knock off Arky State and we can rally and win out, we can still share the conference title. Not the same feeling as winning it outright especially when we had it all lined up for us pretty good with the schedule, but 10 years from now when we are looking back at the number of conference championships we've won, it won't look any different than any of the rest.

Looks like the Stink let one get away from them in the last minute today too so at least they won't come in Thursday on a big high off their first win of the season. How unbelievable is it that they have now lost three in a row to GA State?
Last edited by AppinATL on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:32 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:24 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:12 pm
Still waiting for a complete four quarter performance, not holding my breath.
Methinks the Wake game may be the closest we see this year to a 4 quarter effort.

The way we lost that game, I simply don’t think we have recovered. Seems that game took the wind out of our sails. Haven’t been the same since.
Good observation, I've often thought the same.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:34 pm

FeartheNeers wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:35 pm
I admire your optimism. At some point we need to accept that we aren't as good as the past couple App teams have been. I don't know whether it's having injured playmakers, a lack of playmakers, coaching, or a more competitive conference - I don't know. But none of those possibilities excuses the outcome we've seen so far. Imagine if this season had been had by Colorado State, or Tulsa: a few close wins over "peer competition," no signature wins, and a few inexplicable losses. Without the skew of homerism or animosity, you'd probably think of a 5-4 CSU or Tulsa as an okay team. Not great. Not terrible. That's what I ultimately think we are; okay but not great. I think the future is bright, and the young guys have stepped up as well as they could given the situation. We should (likely) make a bowl, and can still finish with an acceptable 7 or 8 wins. It just isn't the season we might have hoped for or expected as App fans.
I don't think anyone thinks we are as good right now as the past couple of years. Its pretty obvious. I don't think its because of any other reason that all the key injuries, though and the fact that we are playing what, 6 freshmen on offense and five on defense? I mean what team can handle that and now struggle. The silver lining is these guys, I think we can all agree are very talented and are getting great experience. The future is bright. And even with all that, we are still not out of the hunt for a conference title.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:34 pm

8-4 at best is a disapoointment with our extremely weak schedule. There isn't a way to sugar coat it. How we are playing is not okay. The excuses need to stop from us as fans.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:34 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:36 pm
appst1992 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:11 pm
Not surprised about our defense. We’ve given up a lot of points and yards all season.
Taylor isn’t 100% mentally either. He takes a sack on 4th down. And it wouldn’t have mattered anyway but his execution on the last drive was awful. Way too long to get the snap, short passes.
20-29 passing, 339 yards, 4 TDs.
If you are looking for perfection - pick another sport ---
And pick another guy to point the finger at. Geez he lit them up. I think TL might have had a few yards rushing as well

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:38 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:40 pm
No doubt we have underachieved this season (regardless of how the rest of the season plays out), it's obvious where the responsibility lies! Before anyone assumes I'm thinking the worse, I'm not asking that anyone be fired. However, I'm very disappointed in our staff overall this season!! Fire Away.
Good lord man. Your reaction to everything is to blame the coaches. It's just not always the coaching staff's fault. We are blessed with a good one. I'd like to see us do better on the offensive coordinator side. I've never been a fan of co-coordinators. Too reminiscent of the days of "the committee." But the ton of injuries and the amount of youth we are asking to carry the load is the major factor in my opinion. The coaches didn't drop pass after pass against Umass. Nor did they miss kicks against Wake or fumble the ball away in overtime last week.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:40 pm

APPinAtl can you go back and change your response to black from the yellow - I can't read it
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:34 pm
8-4 at best is a disapoointment with our extremely weak schedule. There isn't a way to sugar coat it. How we are playing is not okay. The excuses need to stop from us as fans.
How we are playing is not okay, however, we also don't need to overreact and start asking to fire coaches.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:43 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:40 pm
APPinAtl can you go back and change your response to black from the yellow - I can't read it
I've tried. I don't even know how it got to yellow to start with I didn't do it. But I have tried to fix it three times and no dice. This forum has been doing a lot of weird stuff on my end lately.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:43 pm

I said after last week this team would go one of two ways, it is clear today which way that will be, we’ll lose a minimum of one more SBC game and limp into a bowl game. Sorry guys that’s just the reality we are facing.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:47 pm

APPinAtl: "I'd like to see us do better on the offensive coordinator side"

Yep, maybe we have something in common after all!

In addition to what you pointed out, it APPears Special Teams is a collateral duty as well. No doubt it definitely needs more attention than it's currently getting!! Then again, maybe that's not a coaching issue.
Last edited by WataugaMan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Some perspective on just how bad today was.... in the last 83 games, we have given up 50+ points 5 times just 4 of those in regulation (counting today).

Twice in 2014 (@Mich and OT vs Liberty)
2012 @ the Citadel
2011 (the game that never happened in B-burg)

The current state of our team is bad. None of the 3 remaining games can be counted in the W column as of today... each present their own challenges and at this point simply attaining bowl eligibility will be a win in my book. Sad, I know, but the current position we are in.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:53 pm

The consistency with which we sleepwalk through the first quarter baffles me.I do think ,not unlike last week ,that we were one conversion away from taking control of the game.In neither instance do I understand the play calling ,based on what was working at the time .A couple of plays away from 7-2 .Make no mistake however , the defense got shredded and embarrassed today.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:54 pm

The excuses have to stop. We just aren't that good. There have been many teams in the history of football with the same amount of youth and injuries, but still found success. We just don't have it this year. Defense isn't where it used to be past couple years, and offensive play calling is inconsistent.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 pm

What, we have lost 3 games by a total of what 12 points. Still loses but we are not a terrible team. As Sparky Woods used to say it all about how you handle adversity. Win the last three it will still be a good season .
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:07 pm

I don;t think I made excuses to start this thread and I'm not sure others have either - I try to state the info as I see it - I stick by my prediction - some of you guys just don't have a clue - Satterfield and Woody and this bunch can no longer coach - geez, the bums have lost 3 SB games in 3 years -After the loss at UGA the only viable realistic accomplishment for this season was to win the SB - we are going to the same bowl in Dec as we would have if we finished 11-1 - Finishing 11-1 would have been great but anything more after the UGA loss is basically window dressing - Not saying I wouldn't have loved to beat WF and UMass and ULM but our season goal of winning the SB is still possible and then just as if we were 11-1 we will play a MAC team in a bowl game ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

4appst8

Unread post by 4appst8 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:07 pm

I said after last week that I had hopes the loss would finally wake this team up, and I felt we would look like the team we can look like starting today. I was wrong. I’ll never give up on my Apps, but I gotta be honest and realistic with the current reality too. We aren’t a great team and the facts continue to pile up to indicate that. I anticipate we will continue with a mixed bag of wins and losses this year. Speculation abounds as to the reasons why, but I remain confident on our coaching staff and our young guys keep me hopeful for the future. This year, however is a let down any way you slice it.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:15 pm

For whatever reason, this team just doesn't have the killer instinct of previous teams. We should have rolled Coastal and been up big at the half. We should have closed out UMass (picking up a 4th down conversion or getting a stop) prior to the game going to overtime. Today, we were up 3 and the defense made a stop. After the fumble overturn in our favor (the correct call), we should have punched it in and gone up 10.
We play to whatever level the competition is. Previous teams bulldozed teams in the 4th Quarter.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 pm

We haven’t beat a single team with a winning record. Our marquee “win” of the season is a close loss at home versus a mediocre P5 team.

I heap praise on this team when they win and I make no excuses for them when they lose. Reality is, this is just a bad football team with mediocre talent.

I’ve held out belief for most of the year that we’d flip a switch, that ain’t happening.

We will be lucky to squeak into a bowl at 6 wins. I’ll be stunned if we share the Sun Belt title. But whatever I’ll keep watching and cheering them on. This whole season is an absolute disappointment.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”