Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The Band

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: The Band

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:55 pm

My neighbors son blew his horn up on the platform during one song. Very talented freshman and respectful young man

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:43 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:26 pm
I wrote DG and suggest others do too.
1. Mic the Band
2. Get a human Yosef who can shoot the damn rifle. ( let ROTC find a cannon to shoot)
3. Have a seat upgrade in the first quarter to a box for some fan in the stands
I know you meant #3 as a reward. However, I sat in the box seat twice, about 20 years ago. I do not prefer those seats over mine in the stands for two reasons: 1) you cannot hear the band or the referees whistle, and 2) no one else in the box seats was actually watching the game. So, when I shouted or hollered, it felt like I was disrupting the wine & cheese crowd's social event. Maybe it's changed since then. This was in the old field house. I know the facilities have been upgraded since. But, if you offered me an upgrade, I'd keep my seats in the stands. Just sayin'.

I agree with your other suggestions.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 am

AppAlum1 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:43 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:26 pm
I wrote DG and suggest others do too.
1. Mic the Band
2. Get a human Yosef who can shoot the damn rifle. ( let ROTC find a cannon to shoot)
3. Have a seat upgrade in the first quarter to a box for some fan in the stands
I know you meant #3 as a reward. However, I sat in the box seat twice, about 20 years ago. I do not prefer those seats over mine in the stands for two reasons: 1) you cannot hear the band or the referees whistle, and 2) no one else in the box seats was actually watching the game. So, when I shouted or hollered, it felt like I was disrupting the wine & cheese crowd's social event. Maybe it's changed since then. This was in the old field house. I know the facilities have been upgraded since. But, if you offered me an upgrade, I'd keep my seats in the stands. Just sayin'.

I agree with your other suggestions.
if you offered me an upgrade, I'd keep my seats in the stands. Just sayin

Tru dat!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:56 am

What if it was raining and cold? Those heaters feel good on your head AND you can buy AMB and Boonshine up there? Just saying.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:58 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 am
scatman77 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 am
Solution: mike the band!
Agree, must use the new sound system to our advantage. Mic the band. North End zone should be for GA only, no students or band. Open seating after half for anyone and standing room only crowd. Our BOD deserves to be back on the west or east side to lead and encourage students/fans. Many parents come to the game to support and watch their kids perform (players and band members). The band should be in a place of prominence in the stands, not the worst seats at the Rock. Last, but not least, our band must be allowed back on the field after the game to play Tennessee Waltz in front of west side.
Again, the band is exactly where they neet to be. If you put them on the east side only those sitting on the west side can hear them and vice-versa. Just mike them and be done with it

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:14 am

Has anyone said why they haven't been mic'd up?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BlueCreekAppFan

Unread post by BlueCreekAppFan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:23 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Please DON'T "mike the band". The echo is awful as we saw at Michigan. I will agree it might have been needed (and could be needed) for smaller bands, but we are getting to that threshold when their sound will be just fine with out it.

FYI one of our children was in FSU's Marching Chiefs. Stadium at the time held 87,000. No mics there, just 400+ musicians.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 am

scatman77 wrote:
When I was in the band that was discussed and it's nearly impossible. The sound distortion would be nearly impossible to fix. I have been in the boradcast booth where the announcer isat and the delay from the microphone to the scoreboard and then back to your ears is exctremely disorienting and noticeable. It the band was amplified you would get both the bands original sound to your ears from one side and then the delayed sound from the band into the microphone to the scoreboard and then to your ears at the same time.

IMO To mic the band you would have to have a seperate Speaker system projecting sound in front of the band and the same distance as the band to the audience. Think like a rock concert. They have all their speakers generally on stage the same distance from you as the band.

TLTR: sound take time to travel and have the unamplified sound and amplified sound of the band coming from 2 different locations would create a horedous echo

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:17 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:14 am
Has anyone said why they haven't been mic'd up?
I meant to reply to this comment but see my above explanation.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:20 am

Generally speaking when you see college marching band with microphone in front of them it's for the tv broadcast. They mic the bands and student sections ( good idea/ bad idea but that's been beaten to death) to broadcast the stadium noise on tv. It's kind of odd how little sound can hear from the App side of the stands on the 7th floor of the athletics center.

Also I can provide some perspective on the amount of music the band can play from 3 years in and 2 spent in a leadership role. The band has approximately 3 hours of rehearsal a week. That's on average 9 hours every 3 weeks of full rehearsal to lay down and memories a new drill set and reherse it with the music. That takes priority over stands tunes. Now with that said I agree with most of you that I would like to see the band play more inbetween plays because I got real tired of playing the same stuff over and over again. I would like to see more crowd interaction with the band at the same time. There is nothing more disheartening than hearing the crowd noise go up during halftime when You start playing but that's a different rant. I would say that a change about the band playing or not won't come from the Music school but the athletics department since they run the show. That's the people I would contact.

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:30 am

BlueCreekAppFan wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:23 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Please DON'T "mike the band". The echo is awful as we saw at Michigan. I will agree it might have been needed (and could be needed) for smaller bands, but we are getting to that threshold when their sound will be just fine with out it.

FYI one of our children was in FSU's Marching Chiefs. Stadium at the time held 87,000. No mics there, just 400+ musicians.
Come on BlueCreek you know our G5 Marching Mountaineers can't compete with a P5 band like that :D (kidding...kind of). FSU plays LOUD so no issue with hearing them from the anywhere in the stands. I do feel some schools put much more emphasis on the bands gameday participation and game prep than others.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:42 am

Yosef used to shoot the rifle for a while I thought. My freshman year we had that abortion of a Yosef upgrade ('99), booed him out of Auburn's Stadium and was replaced the rest of the season by a bunch of local yokels who look like they ran out of the woods. It was cool but it seeemed out of place. 1. they were adults and 2. they kind of blended in with the crowd and didn't stick out so much, lol.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am

I don't think we need to mic the band as much as we just need to use the band. Play after every first down, touch down, big play, etc. I know we invested in a new scoreboard with state of the art sound system and all, but don't need to play a bunch of pop and hip hop music like we're an NFL or MLB team.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 am

AppinATL wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:58 am
Appstate88 wrote:
scatman77 wrote:
Agree, must use the new sound system to our advantage. Mic the band. North End zone should be for GA only, no students or band. Open seating after half for anyone and standing room only crowd. Our BOD deserves to be back on the west or east side to lead and encourage students/fans. Many parents come to the game to support and watch their kids perform (players and band members). The band should be in a place of prominence in the stands, not the worst seats at the Rock. Last, but not least, our band must be allowed back on the field after the game to play Tennessee Waltz in front of west side.
Again, the band is exactly where they neet to be. If you put them on the east side only those sitting on the west side can hear them and vice-versa. Just mike them and be done with it
Mike them like Western Carolina...no thanks. Get em out of the end zone. They look like a high school band down there.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 am

I had friends that were human Yosefs and they shot the rifle. They also exhorted the crowd to stand up and yell and that is different when a human does it verses a mardi gras character. I get it now that mic'ing the band might not be a good idea but the location of the band blows. I'd rather see them back in the West student section. And our band imo should devote an extra 30 minutes each week to gameday prep especially during the game.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:56 am
What if it was raining and cold? Those heaters feel good on your head AND you can buy AMB and Boonshine up there? Just saying.
Planning ahead can cure all weather problems. With the possible exception of sleet blowing straight back into your face. Just layer up.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:26 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 am
scatman77 wrote:
When I was in the band that was discussed and it's nearly impossible. The sound distortion would be nearly impossible to fix. I have been in the boradcast booth where the announcer isat and the delay from the microphone to the scoreboard and then back to your ears is exctremely disorienting and noticeable. It the band was amplified you would get both the bands original sound to your ears from one side and then the delayed sound from the band into the microphone to the scoreboard and then to your ears at the same time.

IMO To mic the band you would have to have a seperate Speaker system projecting sound in front of the band and the same distance as the band to the audience. Think like a rock concert. They have all their speakers generally on stage the same distance from you as the band.

TLTR: sound take time to travel and have the unamplified sound and amplified sound of the band coming from 2 different locations would create a horedous echo
Nice physics explanation, if I do say so.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:39 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 am
AppinATL wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:58 am
Appstate88 wrote:
scatman77 wrote:
Mike them like Western Carolina...no thanks. Get em out of the end zone. They look like a high school band down there.
I can't say I've ever seen a high school band play from the end zone. But I have seen plenty of college bands do so.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:31 pm

We used a mic for the band on "Devil Went Down to Ga" and it worked great. It should definitely be tried in the end zone seats.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Im pretty sure y'all are thinking of P5 stadiums or poorly place bands when you talk about bands that are loud. most P5 stadiums are bowls and the sound will naturally resonate in a bowl than it will in KBS. The band is playing towards a treeline that is 150 yards away. That kills the sound and the resonation of the sound for everyone sitting on the east or west side of the stadium.

In Paulson the band sits on the home side facing the visiting crowd and the same can be said for many other stadiums without end zone seating. Ark state seems to be the exception.

But here are the options

option a- band sits on the east side and only the west side of KBS can hear them

option b- band sits on west side and then the East side stands are the only one who hear them

option c- Put microphones on the band that are piped to the scoreboard. This creates an echo that is so bad that everyone wishes that band would stop playing

option d- everything stays the same and you all keep complaining

Edit: I forgot to add option e- properly mic and amplify the band with a separate multi thousand dollar sound system dedicated just to stands tunes and located in the endzone/ in-front of the band. I will almost guarantee that won't happen because no-one has yet to spend a cent on a proper net to keep FGs and extra points from flying into the band so obviously there isn't money for something like a sound system.
Last edited by BTK2000 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”