Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Updated Bowl Projections

BUTCH1991
School: Appalachian State

Re: Updated Bowl Projections

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:21 am

We will NOT be snubbed.

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:43 am

hapapp wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:40 pm
Currently there are 70 bowl eligible teams and 18 with 5 wins. It's possible there could more eligible teams than bowls.
AppGrad78 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:35 pm
Am I being paranoid?
Yep, it looks like it might be closer than I thought. From CBSSports
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... off-holds/

"We are getting close to the point of not needing any five-win teams in bowl games this season. There are currently 70 eligible teams for 78 spots. Eighteen teams enter this week with five wins, and there are four games between two of those teams, so that will put us at 74 at a minimum. There are also three teams with four wins and two games to play, two of which will play each other on the final weekend (Louisiana-Monroe at Florida State). The odds of fewer than four of the remaining 13 teams failing to win a sixth game are not great, and in fact, my current projection has one eligible team too many (sorry, UNLV). It looks like it is going to take a couple of upsets to open the door for a five-win team."

I still think we will be fine. Hopefully at 8-4.
bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 am
If we go 6-6 we should decline a bowl game................
Couldn't disagree more. I understand the sentiment and I would be EXTREMELY disappointed if we lost our last two games, but a bowl game includes additional practice time for the team at the end of the season and our program needs that. Every bit of time our young players get working together helps toward next year.

I really don't think there's a reason to focus on that negative right now though.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:11 am

With over a week and one half to heal and prepare, there will be no excuse for not finishing 8-4, period!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:51 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 am
If we go 6-6 we should decline a bowl game................
Can’t disagree more to this. If we qualify for a bowl, we should go. The bowl is a reward for the players hard work and efforts and it allows for two extra weeks of practice reps for the young guys.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:49 pm

You should go to a bowl if for no other reason 16 extra practices for the red shirt guys and players coming back.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:49 pm
You should go to a bowl if for no other reason 16 extra practices for the red shirt guys and players coming back.
Our last game is Dec. 2, the likely bowl is Dec 16.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:42 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
So under that possible scenario the team plays on the 2nd. Take off Sunday, practice what, Tuesday thru Saturday, take off Sunday then head out for the bowl venue? Practice a few times wherever they go? If so not a ton of extra practice for the young guys.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:42 pm
hapapp wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
So under that possible scenario the team plays on the 2nd. Take off Sunday, practice what, Tuesday thru Saturday, take off Sunday then head out for the bowl venue? Practice a few times wherever they go? If so not a ton of extra practice for the young guys.
Under any of the possible scenarios, it isn’t a ton of practice reps. You are correct in that. But any extra reps are better than none.

I don’t understand why people feel the need to diminish or trivialize all things good.

Positives for a bowl game:
Extra practice time for the young players.
Reward for the seniors
An extra game
Guaranteed exposure on television. Either through a nationally televised game or a dedicated highlight segment on the four letter network.
Swag packages for the players. Yes, they care about these even if you don’t.

Negatives of a bowl game:
You might lose. But isn’t that a possibility no matter what your record is?

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:28 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
Under any of the possible scenarios, it isn’t a ton of practice reps. You are correct in that. But any extra reps are better than none.

I don’t understand why people feel the need to diminish or trivialize all things good.

Reward for the seniors
An extra game
Guaranteed exposure on television. Either through a nationally televised game or a dedicated highlight segment on the four letter network.

Never said it was a bad thing. Just asked the question. Bowl system is ridiculous but until it changes if we get an invite go play. It’s just a game not life or death

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm

The bowl system is absolutely ridiculous, there are only a very few narrow minded and likely greedy beneficiaries of the current bowl system that would argue otherwise. Even my Clemson fan friends who have benefitted a great deal from the current CFP process agree the bowl system is absurd. . . but it is the hand all 128 FBS teams are dealt. Unfortunately it is also cards most of the G5 teams are not allowed to play themselves . . . but it is what it is until maybe just maybe Georgia, Alabama, Miami and Oklahoma make the CFP and a 1 loss Wisconsin team is left watching on TV prompts all the money in the B1G to affect some sort of change/expansion . . .

I digress

I could honestly see a scenario that a 6-6 App State team ends their season on 12/2, so most importantly for this team is to not let that happen. They have to focus, beat GaState and put themselves in position for a second consecutive conference title and beat LaLa for an 8-4 finish. The best way to remove doubt about attending a bowl is to win games. No one any of us currently know, or are aware of that is affiliated with App State has any influence to "pick" a bowl. We can collectively raise our chances for one over another. Ticket pre-sales to show commitment to any bowl regardless of location and date will go a long way. Ticket sales once the slate is announced will go further even if it's for Montgomery and a 3rd straight trip to the ASU Invitational . . .
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:31 pm

My apologies bigdaddyg as my comment regarding diminishing and trivializing positives was not directed solely at you, but towards all of the comments recently on the teams overall performance versus expectations. I should have prefaced that in my remarks.

As to your comment that the bowl system is ridiculous, why do you thing that it is? Is it the bowl tie ins? I did like the old system where bowl committees went out and tried to put together the best matchup for their bowl. The college football playoff is a farce, in my opinion. The NY6 bowl game for a G5 is subjective and is always exposed to corruption of the system. Unfortunately, it is what it is until the money trail takes a different path.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:32 pm

By now the redshirt guys have had enough practice this year......It's only a reward if they get to go somewhere other than Montgomery. I dont think a 6-6 team should be bowl eligible..........

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:34 pm

There isn't a low-end bowl game in Bumfuk USA that I wouldn't prefer over the FCS National Championship game in a Frisco TX soccer stadium.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Now everyone should go reserve your bowl game tickets through the App State ticket office!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:10 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:

Reward for the seniors
An extra game

There are no negatives to going to a bowl. I was just pointing out that we wouldn't have 16 practice days. But, the fact that we would still be playing is better than sitting home and doing nothing.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:32 pm
By now the redshirt guys have had enough practice this year......It's only a reward if they get to go somewhere other than Montgomery. I dont think a 6-6 team should be bowl eligible..........
But they are. So why should we pass on our chance so some other 6-6 (or worse) team who probably ISN'T a recent FBS move-up can go instead?

As far as whether it's a reward, what do you suppose the players would say if you put it up for a vote? Turn down the bid or play another game?

Anyway if we're 6-6 there's very little shot we'd be headed back to Montgomery.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am
APPARJ wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:31 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:37 pm

78 there will not be enough eligible teams overall to keep us home. They must take every 6-6 or better team before an under .500 opponent.

However Tucson is a strong possibility if ULL wins one more.
I would say it's an outside possibility in that case. It becomes a stronger possibility if, say, we lose our last two.

Basically I think what you have to envision is a scenario in which Orlando chooses GSU over us. Based on fan support, I think that's unlikely if both teams are even. But if they're 8-3 and we're 6-6? We might be headed to Arizona (or elsewhere) then, and who could really complain about it?
I see ull in that case going to NO. StAte going to Mobile. Troy going to Montgomery. Orlando is a wild card. Would it make sense to take us if we are even or better? Yes but as we've seen there is no logic to the process.

I hope the Belt adopts the same policy next year as the Cusa. Win the conference and you can choose your bowl.
It's all about ticket sales. Period. End of story. Ark St is 7+ hrs from Mobile (Christmas Eve Eve Bowl) and 5hrs from Montgomery (on a Saturday). Troy is roughly 2.5 hrs from Mobile and they probably have a lot of fans living in that area. Also, Troy played in the Mobile bowl last year and that game had 30K in attendance.

So if ULL gets to six wins, I think the first two bowl slots are really predictable: ULL to New Orleans and Troy to Mobile.

That brings us to the Camellia Bowl. Jonesboro and Memphis (probably Ark St's version of CLT for us) are 6 & 5 hours away from Montgomery respectively. Arkansas State's fan base is just as close (maybe closer) as we are interestingly enough.

The Camellia Bowl absolutely knows App State going back to Montgomery a third consecutive year will sell even fewer tickets (which I personally find ridiculous). I don't know how Arkansas State travels but their ticket sales would have to be comparable to what App State would bring in a third consecutive year. Again, Arkansas State to Montgomery over App State in the third slot might make sense from a ticket selling perspective.

Which leaves the Cure Bowl. Let's be serious for a moment... Who in the world believes Georgia State would come close to selling as many tickets to a new bowl location as App State? No one, because we'd blow them out of the water. In that case, App State to Orlando is a no-brainer.

Of course, everything I wrote goes out the window if ULL doesn't get to six wins.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exactly it's all a big mess. We just don't have a bowl like a ULL or Troy that would likely automatically choose us if we got to 6. I agree Montgomery would be foolish to take us for a 3rd straight time if they deem another team equally as worthy.

I still hope in the future that the conference champ gets to chose their selection.
That concept only works on paper IMO. The current bowl system benefits from creating matchups that draw the most money. Letting programs select where they want to go could lead to bowls collapsing from not making enough money to be worthwhile. I've said 100x that the bowl system can be improved (mostly by reorganizing the conferences) but I don't mind bowls making selections that help them generate the most cash.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:44 pm
Goapps15 wrote:

I still hope in the future that the conference champ gets to chose their selection.
That concept only works on paper IMO. The current bowl system benefits from creating matchups that draw the most money. Letting programs select where they want to go could lead to bowls collapsing from not making enough money to be worthwhile. I've said 100x that the bowl system can be improved (mostly by reorganizing the conferences) but I don't mind bowls making selections that help them generate the most cash.
For context, seven of the 10 conferences have some sort of guarantee for their champion - either a NY6 spot, letting the champion pick (CUSA), and/or a specific bowl (MWC champ to Las Vegas).

AAC, MAC and Sun Belt are the exceptions.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm
APPARJ wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:44 pm
Goapps15 wrote:

For context, seven of the 10 conferences have some sort of guarantee for their champion - either a NY6 spot, letting the champion pick (CUSA), and/or a specific bowl (MWC champ to Las Vegas).

AAC, MAC and Sun Belt are the exceptions.
Yep. Conferences are different.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”