Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ESPN3 Money Opportunity Waste?

AppNation85
School: Appalachian State

ESPN3 Money Opportunity Waste?

Unread post by AppNation85 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Just stating this in case I have a point and someone in charge is reading this. Watching on ESPN3 (sorry I live in Europe), everytime there is a timeout it goes to a black screen with the ESPN3 logo and a message that says "Your game is in a commercial break"

Why not ACTUALLY show commercials during that black screen? It makes money and it's more entertaining for the viewer than a black screen. Yeah the money would probably need to be split between ESPN/App etc but it seems like a huge huge waste. You could be showing local commercials during all the football/basketball games and make some decent money.

If somebody knows the reason why we don't do that feel free to explain it to me.
Twitter: @RankAppState

appmaj

Re: ESPN3 Money Opportunity Waste?

Unread post by appmaj » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:33 pm

Ads are sold to the provider and directly from ESPN. Depending on the provider (Spectrum, Hulu, Sling, etc) you may see different ads or none at all.

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:43 pm

appmaj wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:33 pm
Ads are sold to the provider and directly from ESPN. Depending on the provider (Spectrum, Hulu, Sling, etc) you may see different ads or none at all.
Interesting. Here in Europe I have access to a package directly from ESPN where I pay a couple bucks and I can stream every college game all year.

It just seems weird to me that advertising space like that is left unused.
Twitter: @RankAppState

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm

i cannot freaking watch the game....buffers every ten damn seconds

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:26 pm

if you close it out and restart it usually get better.
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:00 pm

ncman071 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm
Yep, but not during the commercials. They never buffer.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:05 pm

ncman071 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm
I recently bought a Google Chromecast and I used it to watch the game from my phone today for the first time. Had no issues. I usually use my Xbox one, but this was way better

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:12 pm

I watch with a fire stick and the 3 games I’ve watched had apsolutely no buffering. Can’t tell you about today as I was at the game.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:16 pm

For the commercial breaks, apart from the Sun Belt spots and ESPN promos, I get a lot of the same commercials (including ones for local car dealers and grocery stores) that show up before Youtube and other streaming apps. I assume they are part of an ad buy with the internet provider.

I travel quite a bit for work, and I noticed this play out in other areas as well. When I log into a local Wi-Fi to watch the game, in some areas I will get no commercials other than the Sun Belt and ESPN spots, while elsewhere I will get local spots for that area. For example, I watched this year's Texas State game on hotel Wi-Fi in Fort Lauderdale and got the same South Florida car dealer ad in ever break.

As for the buffering, I've never had problems either through the Amazon stick or chromecasted thru my phone.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Very interesting. I use Sling TV w/Roku and see mostly ESPN & time warner commercials

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:10 am

appfanz wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:12 pm
I watch with a fire stick and the 3 games I’ve watched had apsolutely no buffering. Can’t tell you about today as I was at the game.
The wife and I went to the Rock and had lunch and tried to watch the first half with the spinning wheel of death. Got home for the 2nd half and no buffering on the fire stick.

clayton

Unread post by clayton » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 pm

I get that blank screen with the logo a lot when watching Monday Night Football through Sling. National commercials play. Those are the ones ESPN sells. For some reason, Sling/Dish doesn't fill the inventory and that absolutely is a waste.

During App games, I mostly just get Sun Belt and school commercials. That means ESPN isn't selling that space, either. I assume because they make so much money (like $7 billion annually) from carriage fees, ESPN has not always cared about squeezing out every advertising dollar...especially in the digital space.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:14 am

First time I've ever heard anyone complain about not having commercials. :)
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:55 am

AppNation85 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:09 pm
Just stating this in case I have a point and someone in charge is reading this. Watching on ESPN3 (sorry I live in Europe), everytime there is a timeout it goes to a black screen with the ESPN3 logo and a message that says "Your game is in a commercial break"

Why not ACTUALLY show commercials during that black screen? It makes money and it's more entertaining for the viewer than a black screen. Yeah the money would probably need to be split between ESPN/App etc but it seems like a huge huge waste. You could be showing local commercials during all the football/basketball games and make some decent money.

If somebody knows the reason why we don't do that feel free to explain it to me.
At least you don't have to watch ads for the Addiction Network every five minutes.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:58 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:55 am
AppNation85 wrote:

At least you don't have to watch ads for the Addiction Network every five minutes.
What happens now if I'm addicted to those ads?

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:58 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:55 am
AppNation85 wrote:

What happens now if I'm addicted to those ads?
That guy who says he used to crack cocaine is trying so hard to keep it together as it wipes away from him.

ApexASU

Unread post by ApexASU » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:48 pm

There is NOTHING good about ESPN3. I wish we still had App TV. SO much better, not all the crap talk from so called announcers who don't even know our QBs name.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”