Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satterfield Interviews

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Satterfield Interviews

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:11 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:37 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:36 am
UCF is the one I’ll really be holding my breath over. And USF, if it comes open.
Why do these two make you pause?
Because I think they're in the range of jobs that would be legitimately interested in him, be a reasonably good geographical fit, and be enough of a step up in pay and opportunity that he'd be interested in them.
I could see these as a possibility if they were open in four or five years but not right now. The pay increase would be attractive but I don’t think he is someone that is going to chase the money.
He was interested in Mississippi State for some reason.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:52 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:36 am
UCF is the one I’ll really be holding my breath over. And USF, if it comes open.
Because I think they're in the range of jobs that would be legitimately interested in him, be a reasonably good geographical fit, and be enough of a step up in pay and opportunity that he'd be interested in them.
I could see these as a possibility if they were open in four or five years but not right now. The pay increase would be attractive but I don’t think he is someone that is going to chase the money.
It is far more likely that he interviewed for the following reason than the job.
1. To gather contacts
2. To gain experience in the interview process
3. To ensure that he gets interviews in the future. If he gets the reputation as someone that isn't interested in leaving Boone then the calls will not come in the future.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:52 pm
NewApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

It is far more likely that he interviewed for the following reason than the job.
1. To gather contacts
3. To ensure that he gets interviews in the future. If he gets the reputation as someone that isn't interested in leaving Boone then the calls will not come in the future.
Don't be delusional. He interviewed because it is a decent SEC school where hed make millions, consistently be ranked in the top 25, and possibly challenge for CFP berths. If they would've offered he would have taken it.

Whats more interesting is what happens if Doeren gets UT...

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:06 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:47 am
I just don’t know that there is a reason for him to uproot his family at this time. His sons are fixtures on the local high school team and his daughter is going to start high school shortly. Anyone that has or has had teenage daughters will tell you moving them at this point in their social development is an emotional train wreck. Given his, and more importantly, his wife’s happiness with living in Boone, that he would be willing to move at this point.
Quadrupling your current 6-figure salary would go a long way in solving any of those problems.

I wish Satt & fam the best no matter what happens.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:07 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:24 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:11 pm
I think the proof will be in the pudding, regardless of how many interviews he has. If he's successful the phone will continue to ring, even if he shows no interest.

The best way to make a great job better is threaten to leave. I'm not saying this was his motivation, but it may have been. There is no doubt Satt is in the driver seat right now.
I disagree. Satt. is probably already the highest paid employee in Watauga County. I suspect he's near his ceiling. We can't match the competition, but we can replace a coach.
I think that is good advice and really applies to any professional position, not just coaching.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:11 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:06 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I just don’t know that there is a reason for him to uproot his family at this time. His sons are fixtures on the local high school team and his daughter is going to start high school shortly. Anyone that has or has had teenage daughters will tell you moving them at this point in their social development is an emotional train wreck. Given his, and more importantly, his wife’s happiness with living in Boone, that he would be willing to move at this point.
Quadrupling your current 6-figure salary would go a long way in solving any of those problems.

Do you have children? Do you have teenage children? Money doesn't solve problems. It just changes the problems.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:13 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

1. To gather contacts
Don't be delusional. He interviewed because it is a decent SEC school where hed make millions, consistently be ranked in the top 25, and possibly challenge for CFP berths. If they would've offered he would have taken it.

1.) Satt is interviewing for a new job with a much bigger salary, NOT experience and contacts for later on down the road.
2.) If Satt is offered a major job he will and absolutely should take it.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:16 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:11 pm
APPARJ wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Do you have children? Do you have teenage children? Money doesn't solve problems. It just changes the problems.
Sure. But Scott Satterfield is going to take a job with more money when offered. It's that simple and he deserves it.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:13 pm
MtnMan09 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

1. To gather contacts

1.) Satt is interviewing for a new job with a much bigger salary, NOT experience and contacts for later on down the road.
Interviewing and being offered are two separate terms. He could have interviewed and quite simply said at this time this position is not a good fit for me and my family. I don't think any of us are flies, so I doubt anyone was sitting on the wall in the meeting.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I think you’re naive if you believe that millions of dollars a year - life changing wealth - can be discounted for a teenage daughters emotions. Parents across the country move their children for far less, everyday.

Satt is a smart guy. At any given moment he is 2-3 bad seasons from being on the chopping block, just like every other coach across the country. I have no doubt he is weighing all available options and I don’t blame him. For all we and he knows, this could be as close as he eve gets. College football is a cutthroat business.
YNWA

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:23 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 pm
APPARJ wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:13 pm
MtnMan09 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

1. To gather contacts

Interviewing and being offered are two separate terms. He could have interviewed and quite simply said at this time this position is not a good fit for me and my family. I don't think any of us are flies, so I doubt anyone was sitting on the wall in the meeting.
And he could've said "I'd like to have this job" and it simply wasn't offered like last year.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:24 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:20 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I think you’re naive if you believe that millions of dollars a year - life changing wealth - can be discounted for a teenage daughters emotions. Parents across the country move their children for far less, everyday.

Satt is a smart guy. At any given moment he is 2-3 bad seasons from being on the chopping block, just like every other coach across the country. I have no doubt he is weighing all available options and I don’t blame him. For all we and he knows, this could be as close as he eve gets. College football is a cutthroat business.
This is the most accurate post in this thread. God bless Satt if he finds the jackpot!
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm not inside Satt's head. But I think a lot of App fans engage in some serious wishful thinking when guessing what level of job it would take to entice him away from Boone.

Always easy to say "it's not all about the money" when you aren't the one being offered $2 million a year.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:31 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:41 pm
Having a couple of friends who have been/are head coaches at major universities they have told me in the past that they would take any legitimate interview, even if they knew/felt they wouldn't get the job - said every interview prepares you in some way for the next one, and they always learned from and adapted as they progressed thru their careers ---
This is good advise for anyone, not just college coaches.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:49 pm

If I were at NC State I would bid them farewell in a heartbeat for Tennessee - Yes, TN is not in a good place right now but State fans are unrealistic as well and they NEVER win - and there were rumors of him being in trouble last season - Good Bye Raleigh - Hello Knoxville ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:04 pm

State may be an even bigger mess than UT-Knoxville...delusional fans, bad AD without a history of success. Now, if Satt is offered the State job would I expect him to take it, yes. But it's a mess in Raleigh!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:05 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:16 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Sure. But Scott Satterfield is going to take a job with more money when offered. It's that simple and he deserves it.
He may very well do that and I along with everyone else wouldn't blame him. I am not naive or delusional. I am being pragmatic. He and his family are happy in Boone and making a good living right now and have job security for the foreseeable future. Being that he never wanted to leave the first time, the age of his children and how that dynamic will change in a matter of years, I can certainly see him staying for a few more years, networking by interviewing and taking a higher paying job in about four years when he doesn't have to worry about the family. I don't know what is going on in his head but he if he continues winning then the multi million dollar life changing jobs will be there in the future.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:29 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:05 pm
APPARJ wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:16 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

He may very well do that and I along with everyone else wouldn't blame him. I am not naive or delusional. I am being pragmatic. He and his family are happy in Boone and making a good living right now and have job security for the foreseeable future. Being that he never wanted to leave the first time, the age of his children and how that dynamic will change in a matter of years, I can certainly see him staying for a few more years, networking by interviewing and taking a higher paying job in about four years when he doesn't have to worry about the family. I don't know what is going on in his head but he if he continues winning then the multi million dollar life changing jobs will be there in the future.
Satt will not turn down a good job today because he's comfortable and might be able to make that amount in 3-4 years. Someone said it best earlier - people move their entire families across timezones for far less money.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:44 pm

The coaching domino effect resulting in a possible move by Satt is likely a few weeks away.

The new early signing period is a blessing for schools like App.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:47 pm

Perhaps folks should stop trying to be Scott Satterfield and assume they know what he will do and when he will do it. Speculating is one thing, acting like we know what he will do is presumptuous.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”