Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satterfield Interviews

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Satterfield Interviews

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:54 pm

Good hire for them. He is a good coach.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:23 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:34 pm
ESPN reporting UCF deal with Kevin Sumlin "imminent".
Funny that the War on I-4 could have what many fans in Texas wanted with UT vs TA&M in Strong vs Sumlin if the former stays another year.

Sumlin's a good coach. Getting fired from TA&M doesn't mean he can't do the job.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:35 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:23 pm
appstate77 wrote:
Funny that the War on I-4 could have what many fans in Texas wanted with UT vs TA&M in Strong vs Sumlin if the former stays another year.

Sumlin's a good coach. Getting fired from TA&M doesn't mean he can't do the job.
Huge buyout from crazy, delusional fan base, a nice vacation then live in Central Florida. Not too shabby

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:25 pm

appstate77 wrote:
They're saying "contact" with Sumlin is imminent. And that he's their top choice. Nothing's signed yet, but I'd think it will probably come down to him and Troy Walters, their OC and someone familiar with the program.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:16 am

This whole college coaching money thing is truly insane and makes my head spin. It’s got me thinking. In the SB there has to be (within a certain $ amount) a cap on net football revenue per school. At App for example if we sell every single ticket for every game that equates to X $ of gate revenue. Add in a certain percentage for concessions. Also factor in money game revenue and then adjust for travel expenses. Since we don’t have a television contract I guess kick in some from ESPN?? Factor in the loss from playing in a bowl game. It shouldn’t be too difficult to determine what we can reasonably expect to pay Satt/staff or any coach- obviously factor in Yosef $. It’s got to be tough seeing other coaches in the Belt making more cash for perennial.500 records

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 am

The salaries of the big time programs are way, way, way out of whack -and it is equally unbelievable a guy can make 11 million for not coaching ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 am

Don't hate the player (coach in this case), hate the game.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:23 am
Uh, Elliott turned the job down before Satt? That's the first I've heard of that, and would be surprised if it were true. Anyone else know anything about it?

Regardless, I'd consider him but he woudn't be my first choice. His team did better than I expected this year, but not really any better than GSU did two years ago. He just strikes me as more of an OL coach than a HC. We'll see.
the conversations I remember involved SE being on campus during the playoffs that year during a game, and was possibly there for an interview. I don't remember anything about him being a priority ahead of Satterfield. Wasn't Satt already the assistant head coach at that point?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:11 pm

I don't recall anybody being offered prior to Satterfield being hired. I recall SE being in the discussion, but frankly, I don't see on tiny bit of benefit to having this debate at this point. Shawn is doing a great job at GSU and we are happy with Satterfield for as long as we have him. Both appear to be excellent young coaches in their own right.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:49 am
Goapps15 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:37 am
Elliott would be a disaster. His year at GA State is very deceiving. Started 13 seniors and won a ton of tight games. I would rather not have him.
He started 13 seniors who had never won anything in college and had them competing for a sunbelt title late in the season. Other than that you got any other reasons for being so certain a coach would be a “disaster”?
They went to a bowl 2 years ago they went to a bowl and finished 5-3 in the Sun Belt. Pretty similar result to this season.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:16 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Uh, Elliott turned the job down before Satt? That's the first I've heard of that, and would be surprised if it were true. Anyone else know anything about it?

Regardless, I'd consider him but he woudn't be my first choice. His team did better than I expected this year, but not really any better than GSU did two years ago. He just strikes me as more of an OL coach than a HC. We'll see.
I can confirm this as I heard it straight from Shawn.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:27 pm

I had never heard this about SE either. JTApps1 has no reason fabricate it so I will take his word for it. As for whether what Shawn said was true, or possibly misunderstood, Cobb did hire SE first chance he got thereafter. I just find it hard to believe it was not more widely rumored.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:49 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:16 pm
EastHallApp wrote:

I'd be interested in the timing of this. So, was Shawn offered a chance before Satt to come back as Associate Head Coach and OC. Or, was he offered HC when Coach Moore was let go? If the latter, that would have been odd for Satt, come back and then someone else gets the job I came back for?!?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:03 pm

I know there were other interviews done before Satt was hired. I assumed when he came back that it was with some kind of coach-in-waiting understanding, even if it wasn't stated publicly. Apparently that wasn't the case, and I have heard that other applicants were seriously considered, though TBH Elliott isn't the name I've heard that came the closest. But that doesn't mean it isn't true, just what I've gathered over the years.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:27 pm

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:49 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:16 pm
EastHallApp wrote:

I'd be interested in the timing of this. So, was Shawn offered a chance before Satt to come back as Associate Head Coach and OC. Or, was he offered HC when Coach Moore was let go? If the latter, that would have been odd for Satt, come back and then someone else gets the job I came back for?!?
I doubt Shawn would have left Spurrier's staff to come back as a head coach in waiting. Seems more plausible he was one of the candidates interviewed to fill the vacancy. This does call into question my understanding of Satterfield's status at the time. Regardless, Satterfield was my preferred candidate for the position, and still is, so I am pleased with what happened regardless of the circumstances.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”