Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North End Zone project update

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: North End Zone project update

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Exactly t4pizza, attendance is measured as tickets SOLD not cheeks in the seats divided by 2. So whether the buyer attends or not is irrelevant. 1 fewer seat = opportunity missed to sell 1 more ticket.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:54 pm

I read on the sunbelt board that we were gonna start taking the track up today. Any insight on this?
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:34 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:13 am
bigCasu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:50 am
APPARJ wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:01 am
bigCasu wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:53 am
APPARJ wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:44 am

The need for boxes and suites in the north endzone is greater than for the temporary seats.
You're changing the subject.

How many of the 1,000 new club seats are new ticket holders?
No, I directly addressed your statement. Club seats and boxes are more beneficial than the temporary seats in the north endzone. Not according to me. As for the 1,000 new ticket holders... I have no idea. Do you? If they are current ticket holders on a waiting list without a box, they'll end up paying more than they do today for a box.
Forget revenue component for a minute.

Do you think it wise to reduce the seating capacity, permanent or temporary, of KBS??
In a vacuum? Absolutely not. Makes no sense. Do north endzone club boxes and seats benefit us more than temp bleachers? According to everything we know, yes. That's all I'm saying.
Sounds like a great podcast topic, I nominate myself as a guest moderator between you two.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:37 pm
Exactly t4pizza, attendance is measured as tickets SOLD not cheeks in the seats divided by 2. So whether the buyer attends or not is irrelevant. 1 fewer seat = opportunity missed to sell 1 more ticket.
And if we were losing out on hundreds of thousands in potential sales every year leadership would be all over it. Yet, DG has said we don’t need expansion. The people with access to the data and get paid to help App State generate more revenue don’t think we need to spend millions on more GA seating.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:34 pm
APPARJ wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:13 am
bigCasu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:50 am
APPARJ wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:01 am
bigCasu wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:53 am

You're changing the subject.

How many of the 1,000 new club seats are new ticket holders?
No, I directly addressed your statement. Club seats and boxes are more beneficial than the temporary seats in the north endzone. Not according to me. As for the 1,000 new ticket holders... I have no idea. Do you? If they are current ticket holders on a waiting list without a box, they'll end up paying more than they do today for a box.
Forget revenue component for a minute.

Do you think it wise to reduce the seating capacity, permanent or temporary, of KBS??
In a vacuum? Absolutely not. Makes no sense. Do north endzone club boxes and seats benefit us more than temp bleachers? According to everything we know, yes. That's all I'm saying.
Sounds like a great podcast topic, I nominate myself as a guest moderator between you two.
Who is right or wrong depends on what the end goal is ultimately. If your goal is to simply have the ABILITY to pack more human beings inside KBS then keeping the temp bleachers and adding 3-5K more seats is the correct approach. But if your goal is for the athletic department to be as financially secure as possible for continued excellence going forward... well... ;)
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 pm

I’d like to implement an around the horn segment between you two, pick five topics a week and declare a victor.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 am

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:49 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:11 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:28 pm
The back side of the temporary north end zone bleachers are basically pipe and drape with porta johns at the bottom. It does look bad. It smells bad. It sounds bad when you hear plastic doors bang shut every time someone goes in and out. Not to mention the last time I was there the joints of the bleachers didn't quite match up.

I hate the erector set look of our 2008 east side upper deck expansion. I hate the rickety erector set north end zone temporary bleachers more. If you've never wandered over to see it APPARJ I invite you to do so. It's embarrassing.
I haven’t said the bleachers look or smell wonderful. My only point has been about the value vs cost of addressing these problems. Don’t like how the east side upper deck looks? For a mere “X” million you can replace it with a more attractive upper deck. Is it worth it?
To answer your question very simply, yes. I was hoping DG would tackle this much needed project before doing anything with the end zone, hell even a scoreboard. We could spend a trillion dollars on the north end zone project and we’d still have the worst FBS stadium in the state due to the eye sore that is the East side.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:49 pm
We could spend a trillion dollars on the north end zone project and we’d still have the worst FBS stadium in the state due to the eye sore that is the East side.
I wouldn't go that far. Is it ugly? Yes. Does it look cheap? Yes. But for what it's worth it gets the job done. I hate it but I certainly wouldn't call it priority #1.

Phase 1 of track demolition is upon us. Phase 2 of north endzone has just been approved. As of yet there is no phase 3. I would hope regrading the hill is "phase 1.5". It's relatively cheap and could be accomplished in a relatively short time period.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Anyone know if East side improvements are on the radar?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:23 pm

fjblair wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:16 pm
As in....to the upper deck, lower deck, amenities, or entrances?

Realistically why would there be? If they'd used cheap steel and things were crumbling before our very eyes it could be justified but they're not so I'd wager nothing will change over there. Could certainly see entrances over there being a point of interest though.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm
Where do the displaced 2,500 temporary seats go? In theory half of them relocate to the west and east sides, but this is still net decrease of 1,300.

I'd like them to plan two-three phases for this round to force us to think ahead in this design.
I agree. I'm not sure how we can justify removing 2,500 temp seats to add 1,300 club. I understand the club seats will generate more revenue, but the last thing we need to do is decrease our seating capacity. They must be planning for temps at field level with the option for permanents. Temps in front of new multi million dollar expansion would look great!
This is what I was thinking.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:33 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 am
BOT approved the project.

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/tru ... ium=social
Anything would be an improvement over Owens, but I am not a fan of the "California Contemporary" architecture direction in those mock-ups. The Athletics Center looks great, and continuing that design would help give KBS a uniform look.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:37 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:23 pm
fjblair wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:16 pm
As in....to the upper deck, lower deck, amenities, or entrances?

Realistically why would there be? If they'd used cheap steel and things were crumbling before our very eyes it could be justified but they're not so I'd wager nothing will change over there. Could certainly see entrances over there being a point of interest though.
Any of the above really. There is a need for more restrooms and concessions.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Who know what it will end up looking like. These photos are different than the ones from January. This press release says the design phase begins March of 2018....

https://physicalplant.appstate.edu/site ... -20-17.pdf

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:59 pm

At the Yosef event last Friday they mentioned construction could begin in June.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:31 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:11 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
We could spend a trillion dollars on the north end zone project and we’d still have the worst FBS stadium in the state due to the eye sore that is the East side.
I wouldn't go that far. Is it ugly? Yes. Does it look cheap? Yes. But for what it's worth it gets the job done. I hate it but I certainly wouldn't call it priority #1.

Phase 1 of track demolition is upon us. Phase 2 of north endzone has just been approved. As of yet there is no phase 3. I would hope regrading the hill is "phase 1.5". It's relatively cheap and could be accomplished in a relatively short time period.
Well i would, obviously lol. Priority 1 should be the track, an obvious one. Of course i understand why a project including luxury boxes and suites takes priority over a remodel of the east side. But in a perfect world we wouldn’t move ahead with a $60 million project while one 50% of the stadium is still severely lacking and chances are look even worse after the addition in the end zone. KBS is cool and all but at some point that issue will need to be addressed if bigger and better things are to be expected.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Amenities, entrances, and bathrooms need to be addressed on the east side but a remodel, while we'd like it to happen isn't a priority. There are many asymmetrical stadiums out there. We have one. I'm sure many of which are asymmetrical because the original design was a bad design. FWIW, while we love it our west side was a bad design by modern standards. Low sloping angle and not expandable. But at the time it was adequate.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:31 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:11 pm
Yosef10 wrote:

Well i would, obviously lol. Priority 1 should be the track, an obvious one. Of course i understand why a project including luxury boxes and suites takes priority over a remodel of the east side. But in a perfect world we wouldn’t move ahead with a $60 million project while one 50% of the stadium is still severely lacking and chances are look even worse after the addition in the end zone. KBS is cool and all but at some point that issue will need to be addressed if bigger and better things are to be expected.
Regarding the track...
I am not so sure we need to “remove” the track. We just need to coat it a solid color or put field turf over it so it will not be “a track” anymore... It is a great surface for both sidelines to have. On the north side it can be squared up on the new building footprint and on the south side the curve needs to be covered by bringing the bank in about 30 yards or so. None of that in my opinion necessitates “removal”...

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:07 pm

"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”