Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North End Zone project update

T-Dog

North End Zone project update

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:47 pm

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/asu ... 27372.html
The new facility would replace the former Owens Field House along the north end zone of the football field with a three-story, 88,000-square-foot building including athletic facilities, training and weight rooms, coaches’ offices, 1,000 to 1,200 club seats, dining and hospital and medical offices, he said.

Saint3333

Re: North End Zone project update

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Where do the displaced 2,500 temporary seats go? In theory half of them relocate to the west and east sides, but this is still net decrease of 1,300.

I'd like them to plan two-three phases for this round to force us to think ahead in this design.

yosef13
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm
Where do the displaced 2,500 temporary seats go? In theory half of them relocate to the west and east sides, but this is still net decrease of 1,300.

I'd like them to plan two-three phases for this round to force us to think ahead in this design.
I agree. I'm not sure how we can justify removing 2,500 temp seats to add 1,300 club. I understand the club seats will generate more revenue, but the last thing we need to do is decrease our seating capacity. They must be planning for temps at field level with the option for permanents. Temps in front of new multi million dollar expansion would look great!

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:46 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

I agree. I'm not sure how we can justify removing 2,500 temp seats to add 1,300 club. I understand the club seats will generate more revenue, but the last thing we need to do is decrease our seating capacity. They must be planning for temps at field level with the option for permanents. Temps in front of new multi million dollar expansion would look great!
There is more demand for club seats vs temp seats.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Correct Alex, there is more demand for club seats, which warrants the additional 1,000 club seats.

While I'm not a proponent of adding additional seating until season ticket holders increase, I'm also not an advocate for a reduction in general seating.

Adding a section of student seating under the club seats in the north endzone could make for a great environment in that endzone.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:40 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:46 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

There is a demand for both. A seating reduction does not meet both. 1,300 club and 3,000 permanents are needed. Yes, I understand we don't sell out every game. The students need more room, not including a wet hill, and the three games a year we do sell out, it's by a ton.

Temporaries in front of the north end zone expansion will meet the demand, but will look ridiculous. Might as well line the endzone with porta johns while we are at it. It seems we are one of the few schools that averages over capacity, and doing little about it.

We sold ourselves short during the last expansion. Let's not make the same mistake this time.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:40 pm
APPARJ wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

There is a demand for both. A seating reduction does not meet both. 1,300 club and 3,000 permanents are needed. Yes, I understand we don't sell out every game. The students need more room, not including a wet hill, and the three games a year we do sell out, it's by a ton.

Temporaries in front of the north end zone expansion will meet the demand, but will look ridiculous. Might as well line the endzone with porta johns while we are at it. It seems we are one of the few schools that averages over capacity, and doing little about it.

We sold ourselves short during the last expansion. Let's not make the same mistake this time.
If there's a demand for both then why are there thousands of empty seats and a big promotion of discounted tickets for every home game?
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

tigersef

Unread post by tigersef » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:03 pm

The previous renderings showed what could be described as a “dead zone” between the club seats and the field. This same design flaw in other collegiate stadiums kills the field level atmosphere. This issue can and should be addressed with the north end zone project.

Seats close to the action, even in the endzone, are desirable for many fans. Let’s not build a beautiful new end zone facility without seats in front of the club level. This is the foundation for a post-track KBS. Let’s do it right.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:05 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm
yosef13 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

If there's a demand for both then why are there thousands of empty seats and a big promotion of discounted tickets for every home game?
There are not empty seats for every home game. You know that.

Our top 10 most attended game are over 30k. We seat 25k with temporary seats. Demand not met.

Commercial developers, hotels, resorts, and restaurants anticipate vacancies. None are constructed based on their worst expectation. They're developed based on averages or best expectations. We should do the same.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm
Correct Alex, there is more demand for club seats, which warrants the additional 1,000 club seats.

While I'm not a proponent of adding additional seating until season ticket holders increase, I'm also not an advocate for a reduction in general seating.

Adding a section of student seating under the club seats in the north endzone could make for a great environment in that endzone.
I believe I had asked you this before - and I agree that end zone seats in front of the structure would be great - my question is why not put similar temp bleachers for students in front of the hill at the other endzone? ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm

This project should include a phase of 1,500 - 2,000 permanent south end zone "family section" seats. Making them more comfortable individual chair-back or 5 person bench-back seats would also help to make them more desirable.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:22 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm
This project should include a phase of 1,500 - 2,000 permanent south end zone "family section" seats. Making them more comfortable individual chair-back or 5 person bench-back seats would also help to make them more desirable.
I think that's a great idea. Not quite club level, but an upgrade from what's currently available.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:39 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:05 pm
APPARJ wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
yosef13 wrote:

Our top 10 most attended game are over 30k. We seat 25k with temporary seats. Demand not met.

Commercial developers, hotels, resorts, and restaurants anticipate vacancies. None are constructed based on their worst expectation. They're developed based on averages or best expectations. We should do the same.
There have been empty seats at every game for the last several years outside of Miami and Wake. Gillin has said seat expansion isn't needed but the club boxes and seats are absolutely needed. Is he misinformed?
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Message board fantasizing running into real-world, supply-and-demand business decisions here.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:59 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:39 pm
yosef13 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:

There have been empty seats at every game for the last several years outside of Miami and Wake. Gillin has said seat expansion isn't needed but the club boxes and seats are absolutely needed. Is he misinformed?
The last thing we need to do is take seating away.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm

APPARJ wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:

There have been plenty of games that are over our listed seating capacity, however. 30k for Coastal, but we had empty seats? I think we could pull in the same numbers we used to pull in FCS if we make KBS just a little more of a destination stadium.

On a kinda related side note: I think our stadium has outgrown the hill in its current form. The hill, at its furthest point in the center, is about 40 yards away from the end zone. It badly detracts from our overall atmosphere to have fans that far away from the action in a relatively small stadium. Re-grading the hill could go a long way to increasing the energy in the stadium, IMO, if it can be done within our budget. I’m going to email Doug Gillin about it soon.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:45 pm

APPARJ wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
yosef13 wrote:
APPARJ wrote:

No, he's definitely not misinformed. If we say we have a seating capacity of 25k, we have exceeded that 9 times since going FBS. Two of those games being UM and WFU, so 7 non P5 games. These stats disprove your notion of empty seats for every game.

DG's argument is based on season tickets. I understand that perspective and believe it's based partially in an attempt to boost more season tickets. That's his job.

Outside of the season ticket sales approach, I'm not sure how one can think more seats aren't needed. We might only need them for 3 of the 6 homes games per year, but that is okay. I'd rather have them than not. Also where will we be in 5 to 10 years? There is nothing wrong with expansion with the future in mind.

Again we are only talking about an additional 2k to 3k seat. Not 10k. Basically what we currently have as temporary. So it's really not adding anything. Just making it nicer. Our fans in the north end zone deserve that.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:13 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:07 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

I believe I had asked you this before - and I agree that end zone seats in front of the structure would be great - my question is why not put similar temp bleachers for students in front of the hill at the other endzone? ---
Because they should regrade the Hill so those that prefer the Hill, get closer to the field and not have as steep of a “seat”.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:25 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:13 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:07 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Because they should regrade the Hill so those that prefer the Hill, get closer to the field and not have as steep of a “seat”.
OK - understood - but until they can regrade the hill why not put temp bleachers at the back of the end zone like the North EZ - don't have to be so high that those who prefer the hill could still sit at the top ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:36 pm

I hope the athletic department uses UNC's "Blue Zone" as inspiration. Imagine something similar in KBS with the upper level being ~1,000 club seats and the lower level being ~2,000 regular seats.

Regrading the hill should be the next step after this. Once completed, there would be space for additional food trucks and a beer garden with our favorites from AMB.
Attachments
7274_bluezone_913_gfinalf.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”