Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Interesting Idea ---

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Interesting Idea ---

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Just heard the guys on College Football ESPNU suggest that the G5 should have their own 4 team playoff - they were talking about UCF and how good they are and still can't get any higher than 14th which they all agreed was a joke - It was Desmond, Pollock and McShay and talked the quality football the G5 plays and how THEY WILL NEVER HAVE A CHANCE TO PLAY IN THE OTHER PLAYOFF NO MATTER HOW GOOD A G5 TEAM MIGHT BE ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Re: Interesting Idea ---

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Idea was mentioned last year as well and will continue to pop up each year, no thanks.

Rather we wait for the extension to eight teams and the top G5 program gets a seat at the table.

Many SBC ADs were quoted as against this last offseason.

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:47 pm

How about instead of creating something new, they promote making what is already in place better by being more inclusive? They are essentially advocating for a new I-AA playoff.

I understand App isn’t Bame, tOSU or USC and that the jump to FBS was made to help keep our program at the second level but I’m also not going to join the talking heads in supporting our own exclusion. FBS football is the only college sport where a majority of the conferences aren’t represented in a winner take all tournament. Hell some of the big boy conferences get left out in the cold.

This will probably end up being our fate but I will not champion this idea. I would definitely support an 8 team playoff with 5 autos for the autonomous, 2 at-large and 1 rep from the remaining 5 conferences.

UCF is hurt by having the GT game cancelled as that could have been another autonomous feather in their cap. Unfortunately they beat a weak Terp team and the only other “quality” wins they have are Memphis and USF. Any team that’s not in an autonomous conference with playoff aspirations needs to fill their schedule with all FBS programs.

I think they should also stop allowing teams to have 8 home games to make things more equitable but we all know UM, tOSU and Bama would never agree to such a rule.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

APEXAPP89

Unread post by APEXAPP89 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:00 pm

I've been saying for couple yrs now that I bet CFB will come full circle and resort to similar classification as I-A and I-AA. Aka Power5 and Group5. Same stuff basically.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:04 pm

What top G5 team (not a team looking for $$$) plays 2 top P5 teams each year? - I think it would take beating 2 high ranked P5s and going undefeated in all games to even get a sniff - and then it still wouldn't happen --- I'm not saying I advocate the playoff described but I also wouldn't say "no way" - I don't understand some of you guys with your thoughts - Go G5 get so much more exposure, play much better teams, be in the same group as the big boys - All true!!! but then why not a playoff of say APP - Boise St - Navy - UCF --- wouldn't that be the most exposure we could ever expect?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:41 pm

You never know who will be a top ranked team due to schedules being put together so far in advance and it would likely take several stars aligning (ie. Go undefeated by beating 2 autonomous programs, beating 2 solid G5’s, winning the conference that hopefully ranks #1 or #2 amongst G’s and probably having several 2-3 loss autonomous programs) for a team to crack the autonomous playoff. Houston had a chance a couple years ago after beating OU but they wet the bed against Navy IIRC.

So in theory, it’s possible just not probable.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:58 pm

Uh No. I do not want to go back to JV ball just because his Lord and Master Herby wants us to.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:05 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Uh No. I do not want to go back to JV ball just because his Lord and Master Herby wants us to.
I don't know what he thinks - he was not on the panel ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:11 pm

The Group of 5 should never self-relegate itself. Then the CFB Playoff can cut the money cord.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:11 pm

I am on the fence with this. I saw the segment and Pollack and Howard made some good points for the need of a G5 playoff. But that basically separates the divisions again. I still think that we need an expanded playoff so include ALL conference champions and the most worthy of the rest. Making UCF at least Top 10, as Pollock suggested, doesn’t move the needle.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:17 pm

No no no no no no no.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:19 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:11 pm
The Group of 5 should never self-relegate itself. Then the CFB Playoff can cut the money cord.
Don't believe their suggestion had anything to do with self-regulating - In fact, they said it should be worked into the bowl system just like the final 4 does ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:24 pm

No, that just relegates us to a mid-major so those P5 conferences don't have to mess with us, despite our proven ability over and over to go in and upset their teams.

If they want to give us a chance, expand the playoffs to 6 teams, then every P5 conference gets a shot and then the best G5 team gets a shot. (Or expand to 8 to prevent byes) but no. We're in the same league as the P5's, don't give them a reason to demean our standings any more than they already do.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:29 pm

UCF will likely play in the Orange/Peach Bowl this season. There is no way the AAC/Mountain West would deny their teams that opportunity. Nor should they.

Plus, it would violate the AAC's "P6" mantra. They can't be seen at the "kid's table."

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:32 pm

I 've heard Herby say it in the past on Gameday!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:38 pm

It's a joke that UCF had the season they had and can't even crack the top 10. I agree that they don't play anywhere near the strength of schedule the top P5 teams typically play. To me, the only shot the G5 has of gaining access into an 8 team playoff is to sue for it. But they have more money and better attorneys, and doing that could push the P5 conferences to break away.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:09 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:17 pm
No no no no no no no.
What he said.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Because everyone should at least have a shot, even if far fetched. As it stands right now, we don’t, which is why I don’t like 4 team playoff. It’s so freaking elitist. Maybe college basketball should only allow p5 in March madness. Who needs Butler in the natl championship. I always point to Boise beating Oklahoma a few years ago in the Fiesta I believe. The G5 can get it done if someone has a special year and has special players. And I know basketball is diff than football, but my point is everyone should have a chance.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Long ago, when we were all debating the great move, I was always in favor of vacating the FCS for just this reason being discussed.

1. We already are mid-major/second division/whatever term you like. Anyone that believes otherwise is drunk and for that I’m jealous.
The only path I see to the top 4 as it stands is - back-to-back undefeated seasons with 2, P5 victories. Possible? Sure. Probable? Hardly.

2. If a formal split ocurrs at least we are in the 2nd tier and not the 3rd (FCS).
AND
3. If the top FCS teams get absorbed into the new “formal” Group of 5 (Montana, NDSU, JMU), at the very least we are in a much stronger position than they will be when that time comes.

I’m a big fan of an 8 team playoff seeded with auto bids for all 5 P5 conference champs, the “G5 Champ” and 2 at large. And I think as long as we are consistently in the top 10 conversation among G5 teams, we are in the right place.

If it stays at 4, I don’t know what I’d prefer. I don’t hate the idea of a playoff with top G5 teams instead of going to the Chico’s Bail Bonds Bowl.
YNWA

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Pretty simple 16 team playoff take the conference champions from each.. few at large bids and few for non conference teams and drop the season games to 11. This way even the smaller teams get a chance .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”