End Zone project moving forward...

User avatar
WXAPP
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:01 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 653 times
Contact:

End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by WXAPP » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:21 am



Twitter: @wxcrum

huskie3
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2000 9:57 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Gaston County
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:35 pm

I like that rendering also. I can see where the outdoor seating of the club area is similar to what I have seen at other places. A field view would allow us to see the possibility of Non-club seating in front of that.


Bring Your A Game!

APPRIDE
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:29 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by APPRIDE » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 pm

“Faculty Club”? Is there one now somewhere?
I think this is a great idea and is needed.



User avatar
87ASUgrad
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:59 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:26 pm

It looks great. I just hope it doesn't block the view of Howard's Knob from our seats in 111.


Give Em Hell!!

Saint3333
Posts: 9502
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 815 times
Been thanked: 1052 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:34 pm

I’d like to see how it fits with the east and west stands, let’s plan ahead to make sure the stadium flows, something we’ve never done.



tigersef
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by tigersef » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:34 pm
I’d like to see how it fits with the east and west stands, let’s plan ahead to make sure the stadium flows, something we’ve never done.
Completely agree. There needs to be space retained in front of the club seating for future seating to match the lower portions of the east and west stands. A concourse should also connect the east and west concourses. Let’s make sure we think long term with this great project!



User avatar
NO.2
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by NO.2 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:24 am

Loving the initial look



User avatar
AppGrad78
Posts: 3781
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Waynesville, NC; Resides: Greensboro, NC
Has thanked: 1027 times
Been thanked: 435 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:28 am

As someone else mentioned, I hope the new architecture more closely resembles the existing look of the West-side athletics center rather than the California-contemporary look we’re seeing in the rendering. We need to unify the look as much as possible.



mountaineerman
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:05 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:38 am

Your not going to make everyone happy... but that picture does not go with anything in or around the stadium ? Not a fan of that design at all.
It needs to be something timeless and not trendy ....See avacado green toilets and harvest gold tubs from the seventies.



User avatar
AppRolls
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:04 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by AppRolls » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:48 am

Love the overall idea - just not a fan of contemporary architechture for this project. The problem with contemporary is the "temporary" part. It looks cool......until it looks dated.

This thing needs to stand the test of time.



Appstate88
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 206 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 pm

AppRolls wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:48 am
Love the overall idea - just not a fan of contemporary architechture for this project. The problem with contemporary is the "temporary" part. It looks cool......until it looks dated.

This thing needs to stand the test of time.
Agree, would be in favor of brick and natural rock from the Apppalachian mountains on front facade. Needs to fit natural surrounds and say this is “The Rock”.



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 24793
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 669 times
Been thanked: 684 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:40 pm

WXAPP wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:21 am
http://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/tru ... dium=social

I like the rendering..
I mentioned in a post on this topic about two months ago that every effort would be made to make this a part of Appalachian's participation in the UNC-BOG's Millennial Campus. Among the plusses for this approach is to acquire a state-of-the-art facility using a combination of public and private funding for planning and construction of a critical-need facility that will eventually provide new revenue streams for athletics WHILE INVOLVING NO-ZERO-ZILCH STUDENT FEES. WTG, Doug Gillin!

http://www.news.appstate.edu/2015/06/29 ... al-campus/


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

1ASU78
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:02 am

Looks like George Jetson was in the room. Hope reality is more like West side facility.



User avatar
scatman77
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am
Location: York, SC
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 248 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 pm

This is not a complaint but an observation: why and what is the difference between the "athletic training room" (proper description) and a "sports medicine room" (no idea what that could be).

I ask because I was a student trainer many moons ago when Owens was initially enlarged/renovated, and I'm an athletic trainer now.


Appalachian American by birth; Mountaineer by the Grace of God!

User avatar
firemoose
Posts: 6679
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 642 times
Been thanked: 2840 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:14 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 pm
This is not a complaint but an observation: why and what is the difference between the "athletic training room" (proper description) and a "sports medicine room" (no idea what that could be).

I ask because I was a student trainer many moons ago when Owens was initially enlarged/renovated, and I'm an athletic trainer now.
There is going to be an area in the new facility that will have lab and testing equipment for the HES (Health and Exercise Science) Dept of the College of Health Sciences to perform sports science testing on the student athletes. More than likely this is what was being referred to.



User avatar
scatman77
Posts: 623
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am
Location: York, SC
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 248 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 am

firemoose wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:14 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 pm
This is not a complaint but an observation: why and what is the difference between the "athletic training room" (proper description) and a "sports medicine room" (no idea what that could be).

I ask because I was a student trainer many moons ago when Owens was initially enlarged/renovated, and I'm an athletic trainer now.
There is going to be an area in the new facility that will have lab and testing equipment for the HES (Health and Exercise Science) Dept of the College of Health Sciences to perform sports science testing on the student athletes. More than likely this is what was being referred to.

Thanks; that explanation makes sense.


Appalachian American by birth; Mountaineer by the Grace of God!

User avatar
ShagNC
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by ShagNC » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:53 pm

The new rendering is cool if we played out west. I personally would like to see consistency with the rest of the stadium.


GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

User avatar
NattyBumppo'sRevenge
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:59 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:38 am
Your not going to make everyone happy... but that picture does not go with anything in or around the stadium ? Not a fan of that design at all.
It needs to be something timeless and not trendy ....See avacado green toilets and harvest gold tubs from the seventies.
Image



User avatar
Appftw
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 146 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by Appftw » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:29 pm

On this month’s “Ask the AD” on appstatesports.com, Gillin said that the rendering isn’t even final considering that they have yet to even hire the actual Architect who will carry out the final design. Everyone just take a deep breath.



User avatar
NO.2
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: End Zone project moving forward...

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 pm

I think some of you need to realize that buildings/additions can fit in and match their surroundings without looking exactly the same.

Copying the west stands into the north end zone would essentially give us Carolina's blue zone i.e. a giant rectangular pile of Image


It quite literally is the architectural equivalent of a mullet, tired old neoclassical arches up front and football bleachers in the back. No thanks.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 74 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

    Most users ever online was 1049 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 am

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 74 guests