Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Karl Benson on G5 playoff

CVAPP
School: Appalachian State

Re: Karl Benson on G5 playoff

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Yosef wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:52 pm
hbk999 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm
Creating a G5 playoff would be the first step in recreating I-AA/FCS all over again. We absolutely don't want to go down that road. Our only hope is to get CFB Playoffs expanded to 8 teams with a guaranteed G5 spot. Yes, this is probably not going to happen and folks can say even if it happened the G5 would likely get overwhelmed. However, if you could get that model the G5 would have a consistent shot at playoffs year over year. Right now our ultimate goal is a NY6 bowl. That playoff model would at least provide the chance for a once in a lifetime season.
Are we not basically in a different version of the same thing if we look at it objectively?
Agreed. We are already called the G5 which is the same thing as a I-AA 40 years ago. Believe it or not, the split has already happened. I'm just glad we aren't in the new division 2 (FCS). Whether we do a playoff or keep the bowl setup is moot in those terms. For that reason, I support a playoff. I don't see us ever getting to the current 4 team playoff and I don't see us ever playing anything other than a G5 in a bowl game. Why not have a playoff where we can at least determine who the best G5 football team is AND extend our football season by another game?
Because we declared we are ready to play big boy football. The SoCon might welcome us back, and we could definitely get a Big South gig, if that makes things more meaningful for you.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:36 pm

G5s routinely schedule home-and-home series with P5 teams. Was there ever a time when FCS teams did that?

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Happy after this season we will never have to worry about being Co-Champs. Also, happy that there is a chance for December football in Boone to win the conference. Conference play will be more enjoyable going forward, and hopefully build some good division rivalries. I just wonder when playing a MAC team every year in the same two cities will become old.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:41 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:36 pm
G5s routinely schedule home-and-home series with P5 teams. Was there ever a time when FCS teams did that?
I don’t think P5 or G5 schools are allowed to play at FCS schools.

hbk999

Unread post by hbk999 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:37 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:05 pm
Yosef wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:52 pm
hbk999 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm
Creating a G5 playoff would be the first step in recreating I-AA/FCS all over again. We absolutely don't want to go down that road. Our only hope is to get CFB Playoffs expanded to 8 teams with a guaranteed G5 spot. Yes, this is probably not going to happen and folks can say even if it happened the G5 would likely get overwhelmed. However, if you could get that model the G5 would have a consistent shot at playoffs year over year. Right now our ultimate goal is a NY6 bowl. That playoff model would at least provide the chance for a once in a lifetime season.
Are we not basically in a different version of the same thing if we look at it objectively?
Agreed. We are already called the G5 which is the same thing as a I-AA 40 years ago. Believe it or not, the split has already happened. I'm just glad we aren't in the new division 2 (FCS). Whether we do a playoff or keep the bowl setup is moot in those terms. For that reason, I support a playoff. I don't see us ever getting to the current 4 team playoff and I don't see us ever playing anything other than a G5 in a bowl game. Why not have a playoff where we can at least determine who the best G5 football team is AND extend our football season by another game?
Because we declared we are ready to play big boy football. The SoCon might welcome us back, and we could definitely get a Big South gig, if that makes things more meaningful for you.
I don’t understand the Napoleon Complex. The football we play is very meaningful to me. There is a CLEAR difference between FCS and G5. I am very happy to be in a G5 league with the chance to host teams like Wake, Miami, and UNC in non conference play. In addition, I like the competition of the Sun Belt. There is also a CLEAR difference between being a G5 and a P5.

It’s not resigning ourselves to a lesser fate or “getting a Big South gig” if we admit that a New Year’s Bowl or a CFB playoff slot for a G5 is a pipe dream. It’s cool to play in bowl games but playing other top notch G5 programs in an 8 team playoff would be fun and valuable.
Last edited by hbk999 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:46 am

I think best case is they do a 16 team playoff with no auto bids, just the best teams. We could get 0-2 teams in but then they would deserve to be there.
Twitter: @RankAppState

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:24 am

I have really bad news for people that believe there’s a demand for G5 school receiving a token spot in an 8-team CFP:

A G5 will never be picked over a P5 in the CFP. P5 conferences don’t want it. TV networks don’t want it. Audiences don’t want it.

Only fans of good G5 schools want it. That’s all.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:33 am

The fact that there is a differentiation among D1 FBS schools- G5 and P5 shows that a separation already exists. It’s really ridiculous in my mind. Central Florida is obviously pretty good. What would they do to Wake, Duke, Kansas, Vanderbilt and the other bottom P5’s? That being said could they hang with Clemson in a 1 v 8 first round matchup? If the bow system doesn’t change most of these suggestions are moot. How do you have a 16 team playoff and keep the bowls intact and not play 15-16 games a year?

I would like to see something along the lines of the top 2 receiving byes, then the next 4 playing to get into the playoff using two NY day bowls- includes the best G5. The other G5 conference champs face off in two nice bowl games. No G5 champ just two great bowl games.

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:20 am

The same unofficial differentiator exists in basketball as well: “mid-major”

But the midmajors play with the power conferences in the tournament fine.

In the FCS there are conferences that have no chance at winning the whole shebang but they still have an auto bid to the tournament and it works fine.

I feel like the so-called G5 conferences need to force the issue in court and lobbying Congress.
Twitter: @RankAppState

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:47 pm

While walking down King St today with 22 degrees and gal force winds I thought about this thread.

Next year the SBC begins to have a championship game. If we continue to be great... and get better, there’s no reason why the SUNbelt championship won’t be determined in Boone on a Saturday in December. If we take care of that... everything else will take care of itself!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:21 am

Oldlknapp wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:47 pm
While walking down King St today with 22 degrees and gal force winds I thought about this thread.

Next year the SBC begins to have a championship game. If we continue to be great... and get better, there’s no reason why the SUNbelt championship won’t be determined in Boone on a Saturday in December. If we take care of that... everything else will take care of itself!
Yep, we'll be like the Frozen Tundra of the SUNbelt for a December game.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:32 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:33 am
The fact that there is a differentiation among D1 FBS schools- G5 and P5 shows that a separation already exists. It’s really ridiculous in my mind. Central Florida is obviously pretty good. What would they do to Wake, Duke, Kansas, Vanderbilt and the other bottom P5’s? That being said could they hang with Clemson in a 1 v 8 first round matchup? If the bow system doesn’t change most of these suggestions are moot. How do you have a 16 team playoff and keep the bowls intact and not play 15-16 games a year?

I would like to see something along the lines of the top 2 receiving byes, then the next 4 playing to get into the playoff using two NY day bowls- includes the best G5. The other G5 conference champs face off in two nice bowl games. No G5 champ just two great bowl games.
Under the current 4 team scenario the National Champion already plays 15 games. We are there.

The way to do it (which would result in 16 or 17 max games), and in my opinion be utopia, is have the 1st round councide with Conference championship games. Next season will be the 1st year all 10 Conferences have a CCG.

You take all CCG winners then add 6 at-large for Round #2, From there its a normal 16 team bracket.

Ideally, I’d like to see just 4 at-large. That would then make it a 24 team tournament, as 20 particiate in the 10 CCG’s. Just haven’t figured out the bye/bracket situation in Round 2.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:04 am

It would be awesome if the first SBC championship game was played in the snow.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:18 pm

I think the 4 non top G5 reps should play in 2 bowls in destination cities. Play one in Orlando and one in San Diego.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”