Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Karl Benson on G5 playoff

AppNation85
School: Appalachian State

Karl Benson on G5 playoff

Unread post by AppNation85 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 am

I hope not. Just say no.
Twitter: @RankAppState

NO.2

Re: Karl Benson on G5 playoff

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 am

"Casual conversations" undoubtedly took place on the front 9.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:24 am

He had said previously that he was dead set against a G-5 playoff.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:25 am

NO.2 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 am
"Casual conversations" undoubtedly took place on the front 9.
Yes. Decisions are made on the back 9 once much alcohol has been consumed.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:27 am

Not interested.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:47 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shock:

I don't want to play JV again!!!

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Nope, not interested; that slope's way too slippery. They should be pushing to expand the FBS playoffs to eight teams with one spot guaranteed to the best group of 5 team.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:21 pm

mikeyosef wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 pm
Nope, not interested; that slope's way too slippery. They should be pushing to expand the FBS playoffs to eight teams with one spot guaranteed to the best group of 5 team.

It would take one good ass whooping from the P5 opponent before they realize it's a terrible idea. UCF would likely have the 7 or 8 seed in the proposed 8 team format. Having watched them, Oklahoma, and Clemson, I think it be over quicker than when we play Savannah State. They don't want a G5 team in the playoffs. Other than on here and other G5 boards, the topic is never expand that playoffs to allow a G5, but more so expand to allow more big money P5 programs. I think it be nice to include them, but knowing money makes everything happen, I just can't see it.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:55 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:21 pm
mikeyosef wrote:

It would take one good ass whooping from the P5 opponent before they realize it's a terrible idea. UCF would likely have the 7 or 8 seed in the proposed 8 team format. Having watched them, Oklahoma, and Clemson, I think it be over quicker than when we play Savannah State. They don't want a G5 team in the playoffs. Other than on here and other G5 boards, the topic is never expand that playoffs to allow a G5, but more so expand to allow more big money P5 programs. I think it be nice to include them, but knowing money makes everything happen, I just can't see it.
Disagree. If they go to eight there should definitely be a G5 auto bid. Would that team get their asses kicked sometimes? Sure. Guess what, so far in the CFP, Florida State lost by 39, Ohio State lost by 31, Oregon lost by 22, Michigan State lost by 38... it happens. Of course those teams never run out of chances, whereas one G5 getting their butts kicked and everyone would use it as proof they don't belong.

And I think UCF is better than you believe.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:16 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:55 pm
mikeyosef wrote:

Disagree. If they go to eight there should definitely be a G5 auto bid. Would that team get their asses kicked sometimes? Sure. Guess what, so far in the CFP, Florida State lost by 39, Ohio State lost by 31, Oregon lost by 22, Michigan State lost by 38... it happens. Of course those teams never run out of chances, whereas one G5 getting their butts kicked and everyone would use it as proof they don't belong.

Should be, yes. But if/when they go to 8 I'll bet every cent of my future earnings that the best G5 doesn’t get an auto bid. 5 P5 champs and 3 at larges. Maybe the best G5 get an at large birth every few years. It’s honestly pretty damned if you do, damned if you don’t. College Football continues to be the only sport in the world without a true champion.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:57 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:

With the exception of Oregon which was the national title game, you listed three other teams that lost to the higher seed. FSU lost to number 2 Oregon, Ohio State lost to number 2 Clemson, and Michigan State to number 2 Bama. Other than the first year of the playoffs Ohio State over Bama, the top two seeds have won easily in the semi-finals. One could even make the case that #4 seed was too low the year Ohio State beat Bama. My point being that the likely opponent of a G5 school in an 8 team playoff would be the 1 or 2 seed, who in what little history we have of the playoffs, have been dominant for the most part. I think that will shift this year, and we see closer games, with a realistic possibility of an all SEC title game. I said it would be nice to include them, but I just don't think the committee watches enough G5 games, cares enough, or think that they could bring the talent, money, or fans to a big time playoff game. It's shitty, but we knew it be the case when we moved up. I think a G5 playoff shouts even more that we are much more inferior than P5 schools. Sun Belt finally gets a title game which could mean an extra home game in Boone. Next they need to align significance of final standing with each bowl tie in. That would make the end of the year a little more worth looking forward to each season. Play to win the division, play to host the title game, win the conference and get _______ bowl.

I watched UCF quite a bit this year (I am a WatchESPN junkie) and while they are a great team, I just don't think they're anywhere near playoff level. I do think though with the extra time to prepare for Auburn's every which way offense, they could make some good defensive stands and keep the game close. I still like Auburn to win, but not a blow out.

hbk999

Unread post by hbk999 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:09 pm

If the G5 playoff that nets the same amount of revenue as the bowl system, all realistic fans should be on board. In the VERY unlikely event that a G5 team would be chosen in the CFB Playoff, then they move to that and they are replaced.

We are a great football program with a whole lot to be proud of, but to expect us to be able to one day earn a seat at an 8 team table is unrealistic. This would be a lot of fun to watch and possibly to have the chance to play in. I think if it was situated in the right time of December and ended the weekend before the CFB Championship it would be a boon to all teams involved. Would be kinks to work out about how to choose at large teams, seeding preference (do champs get first 5 seeds?), and avoiding round 1 conference games.

Hypothetical 8 team G5 Playoff:
#8 FAU @ #1 UCF (conference champ)
#7 Troy (conference champ) @ #2 Memphis (at large)
#6 SDSU (at large) @ #3 USF (at large)
#5 Toledo (conference champ) @ #4 Boise State

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:25 pm

hbk999 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:09 pm
If the G5 playoff that nets the same amount of revenue as the bowl system, all realistic fans should be on board. In the VERY unlikely event that a G5 team would be chosen in the CFB Playoff, then they move to that and they are replaced.

We are a great football program with a whole lot to be proud of, but to expect us to be able to one day earn a seat at an 8 team table is unrealistic. This would be a lot of fun to watch and possibly to have the chance to play in. I think if it was situated in the right time of December and ended the weekend before the CFB Championship it would be a boon to all teams involved. Would be kinks to work out about how to choose at large teams, seeding preference (do champs get first 5 seeds?), and avoiding round 1 conference games.

No thanks. Would rather be in the existing bowl system than that.

Even better would be keeping the G5 auto bid to the NY6, then having the other four G5 champions paired off in two bowls located in destination and/or warm-weather cities (e.g., New Orleans, Orlando, Vegas, Miami, San Antonio...)

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:57 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:

With the exception of Oregon which was the national title game, you listed three other teams that lost to the higher seed. FSU lost to number 2 Oregon, Ohio State lost to number 2 Clemson, and Michigan State to number 2 Bama. Other than the first year of the playoffs Ohio State over Bama, the top two seeds have won easily in the semi-finals. One could even make the case that #4 seed was too low the year Ohio State beat Bama. My point being that the likely opponent of a G5 school in an 8 team playoff would be the 1 or 2 seed, who in what little history we have of the playoffs, have been dominant for the most part. I think that will shift this year, and we see closer games, with a realistic possibility of an all SEC title game. I said it would be nice to include them, but I just don't think the committee watches enough G5 games, cares enough, or think that they could bring the talent, money, or fans to a big time playoff game. It's shitty, but we knew it be the case when we moved up. I think a G5 playoff shouts even more that we are much more inferior than P5 schools. Sun Belt finally gets a title game which could mean an extra home game in Boone. Next they need to align significance of final standing with each bowl tie in. That would make the end of the year a little more worth looking forward to each season. Play to win the division, play to host the title game, win the conference and get _______ bowl.

I watched UCF quite a bit this year (I am a WatchESPN junkie) and while they are a great team, I just don't think they're anywhere near playoff level. I do think though with the extra time to prepare for Auburn's every which way offense, they could make some good defensive stands and keep the game close. I still like Auburn to win, but not a blow out.
I pretty much agree with all of that. I understand the distinction between "what should happen" and "what we think will happen." I was just responding because you said having a G5 team in the CFP would be "a terrible idea," which I don't agree with.

In addition, lots of small-conference teams get destroyed every year in the NCAA basketball tournament, and in my opinion that's the best postseason format in sports. The occasional huge upset (and frequent close calls) are well worth all the blowouts IMO.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Creating a G5 playoff would be the first step in recreating I-AA/FCS all over again. We absolutely don't want to go down that road. Our only hope is to get CFB Playoffs expanded to 8 teams with a guaranteed G5 spot. Yes, this is probably not going to happen and folks can say even if it happened the G5 would likely get overwhelmed. However, if you could get that model the G5 would have a consistent shot at playoffs year over year. Right now our ultimate goal is a NY6 bowl. That playoff model would at least provide the chance for a once in a lifetime season.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Any promise of revenue from a G5 playoff will be short-lived, similar to the promise of TV exposure for 1-AA 40 years ago.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:37 pm

hbk999 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:09 pm

No, I respectively disagree. Every year, p5 teams get left out of the b-ball tourney for teams that get rolled in the first round, BUT it is awesome to see these teams, hear their story, and give everyone at least a chance to dream. Not to mention every year their is a huge upset and one of these teams knocks someone off. I know football is diff, but no one gave Boise a chance over Oklahoma in the Fiesta and boom! The G5 needs to start bitching about fairness and equal opportunity, and expose some good reasons to let everyone have a chance. How boring to see the same teams in every year.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 pm

I am personally not in favor of a G5 playoff series. It was my understanding we left such things behind to play big boy football in the FBS.

BTW, I watched the FCS Quarter Finals Saturday and they were awful. Not even a single close game. Friday night's JMU vs Weber St was fantastic, but the Saturday games were not worth watching.

hbk999

Unread post by hbk999 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm
Creating a G5 playoff would be the first step in recreating I-AA/FCS all over again. We absolutely don't want to go down that road. Our only hope is to get CFB Playoffs expanded to 8 teams with a guaranteed G5 spot. Yes, this is probably not going to happen and folks can say even if it happened the G5 would likely get overwhelmed. However, if you could get that model the G5 would have a consistent shot at playoffs year over year. Right now our ultimate goal is a NY6 bowl. That playoff model would at least provide the chance for a once in a lifetime season.
Are we not basically in a different version of the same thing if we look at it objectively?

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:52 pm

hbk999 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:45 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm
Are we not basically in a different version of the same thing if we look at it objectively?
Agreed. We are already called the G5 which is the same thing as a I-AA 40 years ago. Believe it or not, the split has already happened. I'm just glad we aren't in the new division 2 (FCS). Whether we do a playoff or keep the bowl setup is moot in those terms. For that reason, I support a playoff. I don't see us ever getting to the current 4 team playoff and I don't see us ever playing anything other than a G5 in a bowl game. Why not have a playoff where we can at least determine who the best G5 football team is AND extend our football season by another game?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”