Next Years Squad

Yosefus
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:50 am
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 30 times

Next Years Squad

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:09 pm

How many starters or back ups with a lot of PT are we graduating this year?
How many will be back?
What are the big holes to fill?
I know we played lots of young talent this year. What does next years line up look like right now?
Not looking past Toledo just hoping for more excitement next season.



TheMackAttack
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:46 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Iowa City, IA
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:40 pm

We lose QB Lamb, RB Upshaw, WR Lewis, Letman, and Jones, OL Macaulay, Nunn, and Gossett, DE Sims and Fuller, LB Boggs, Stringer, and Townes, DB Pinckney and Howard.

Lamb and Boggs will be big losses from a leadership and production standpoint, but I think Nunn and Gossett will be the hardest to replace and Macaulay was on the two deep as well and we had a revolving door at LG this year as it was. The front seven takes a hit but we always have guys ready to go there. Lewis had a strong year but the rest of the skill position players are a greater loss from a depth perspective than a production one. Howard is a multi year starter, but we seem to have plenty of talented DBs ready to step in. We aren’t taking as big of a hit as people imagine but it’s not insignificant. Keep in mind we lost Cox, Collins, Law, and Gilchrist last year, Blair, Middleton, Chapman and a trio of quality receivers the year before. We are building some quality FBS depth so we can absorb the hit from graduation easier than in the past.


Image

MountaineerKidd
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:57 pm
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm not sure if he will start next year, but the things I saw from incoming freshman Stephon Brown at Glenn High School I would love to see him take Taylor's spot next year.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1582 times
Been thanked: 1312 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Short answer is we lose five starters on offense and six on defense. I’d say we have reasonably experienced and capable backups in place for most except QB, RT and (maybe) RG.



User avatar
wb247
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by wb247 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:50 pm




NoLongerLurking
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:07 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:54 pm

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh 2 more days!



User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4666
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 732 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:38 pm

We also gain Corey Sutton, the WR transfer from K-State. He should compete for a starting spot.



NewApp
Posts: 3375
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 263 times
Been thanked: 209 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 pm

MountaineerKidd wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:58 pm
I'm not sure if he will start next year, but the things I saw from incoming freshman Stephon Brown at Glenn High School I would love to see him take Taylor's spot next year.
What classification is Glenn High School? Is it 1A, 2A, etc?



BUTCH1991
Posts: 936
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Point
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:28 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 pm
MountaineerKidd wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:58 pm
I'm not sure if he will start next year, but the things I saw from incoming freshman Stephon Brown at Glenn High School I would love to see him take Taylor's spot next year.
What classification is Glenn High School? Is it 1A, 2A, etc?
4A



User avatar
NattyBumppo'sRevenge
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:38 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:28 pm
NewApp wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 pm
MountaineerKidd wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:58 pm
I'm not sure if he will start next year, but the things I saw from incoming freshman Stephon Brown at Glenn High School I would love to see him take Taylor's spot next year.
What classification is Glenn High School? Is it 1A, 2A, etc?
4A
Two questions, is his dad a coach and can he throw the long ball? ;)



AppSt94
Posts: 2257
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 357 times
Been thanked: 353 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:53 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:38 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:28 pm
NewApp wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 pm
MountaineerKidd wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:58 pm
I'm not sure if he will start next year, but the things I saw from incoming freshman Stephon Brown at Glenn High School I would love to see him take Taylor's spot next year.
What classification is Glenn High School? Is it 1A, 2A, etc?
4A
Two questions, is his dad a coach and can he throw the long ball? ;)
Don’t know the answer to the first question but the answer to the latter is yes. Watch his highlights on HUDL and you will see. He throws a great deep ball and the timing routes are on time. My first thought after watching the highlights was why other schools had not snapped him up. Moose explained why above.



Stonewall
Posts: 542
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 168 times

Re: Next Years Squad

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:02 am

I've seen him play and his potential is real, but he will have to earn playing time as there will be three others capable of winning the job.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online