Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sure am missing Stroot quality videos

CornCobPipes
School: Appalachian State

Sure am missing Stroot quality videos

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:26 am

Couldnt be a better time for a good quality new football video about right now.

Been a very long time since we have even had a decent one.....sure do miss Stroot!

These short little game action clips with one rap song beat don't get it. High schools are beating that.....thought we had an excellent Dept for this?

Hate to be a downer on this topic but truth is the truth and we could do better because we have before.
KICK ASS!!!

proasu89

Re: Sure am missing Stroot quality videos

Unread post by proasu89 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:43 am

We have fallen off for sure.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:57 am

I disagree and I'm a video staff alum that was hired by Jake Stroot. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Jake and those past staffs but if you go back and watch videos from that era they don't really hold up. Most have corny movie clips and voice overs that are absolutely cringe worthy. The quality of the motivationals is the same, if not better nowadays. If you don't like rap, sorry. The music is for the players not fans.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:05 am

Hey didn't imply that rap was bad taste and understand the players like it and that moves and motivates them and that's great!....but to some or many, there could be different genres chosen to fire up the fans as well.....mix it up in other words.

True that tech advancements have been made in respect to picture quality....but context is 3downs and out pal. The media responses don't lie.

I don't think Jake won awards for nothing.
KICK ASS!!!

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 am

Jake was a legend, and believe me, I was skeptical about the new guy too (especially since he wasn't an App alum), but he has won the SAVVY award as well since taking over. I do sometimes wish the videos were longer tho.

I really miss those RISE videos...

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 am

Agree with the longer
KICK ASS!!!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:28 am

Jake didn't win awards because he threw a rock song or two in the old moto videos, he did it in spite of that.

I agree with ftw that the current production quality is top notch. The equipment they have now is world's better than what we used when I worked for Jake. My first year on the staff I filmed practice from the endzone on a scissor lift with a Sony Handycam. That thing records to a cassette tape. Jake and his staff filmed and organized every play from every practice and game. Often practice has 4-8 things happening at once. Most of Jake's career at App he was doing so with shitty, bootleg equipment. That is the primary role of a college football video staff. The motivation videos were just a bonus for the players to get them jacked up and motivated to hit someone, hence the name "moto." Watching them on youtube and venmo was a fringe benefit for the fans, although it's definitely one I treasure. Jake pulled all nighters on a very regular basis during the season to make sure the coaches had what they needed.

That was why Jake was the GOAT and why he hopped from App to Louisville to UGA regularly quickly.

I don't know the new video coordinator or any of his staff, but they have professional quality equipment now and the students working on the production side are doing very well in my opinion. It speaks to our Broadcasting department at Appalachian and how well trained those students are even while they're still studying their craft.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 am

Side note: TA Films was a Jake Stroot Video staff spin-off. Tyler is doing very well making everything from music videos for huge music stars to highly rated sports documentaries. We always talk about the pride we have for the App State coaching tree. How 'bout the App State video staff tree, eh?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am

As I've been told many many many different times, the videos are for the players, not the fans.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:34 am

Gonzo wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:28 am
Jake didn't win awards because he threw a rock song or two in the old moto videos, he did it in spite of that.

I agree with ftw that the current production quality is top notch. The equipment they have now is world's better than what we used when I worked for Jake. My first year on the staff I filmed practice from the endzone on a scissor lift with a Sony Handycam. That thing records to a cassette tape. Jake and his staff filmed and organized every play from every practice and game. Often practice has 4-8 things happening at once. Most of Jake's career at App he was doing so with shitty, bootleg equipment. That is the primary role of a college football video staff. The motivation videos were just a bonus for the players to get them jacked up and motivated to hit someone, hence the name "moto." Watching them on youtube and venmo was a fringe benefit for the fans, although it's definitely one I treasure. Jake pulled all nighters on a very regular basis during the season to make sure the coaches had what they needed.

That was why Jake was the GOAT and why he hopped from App to Louisville to UGA regularly quickly.

I don't know the new video coordinator or any of his staff, but they have professional quality equipment now and the students working on the production side are doing very well in my opinion. It speaks to our Broadcasting department at Appalachian and how well trained those students are even while they're still studying their craft.
Don't forget that he also turned down some yuge offers while we were on the staff.

George has been doing a great job but I'm not sure if he'll be able to recover from the loss of Mango.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 am

Appftw wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 am
Jake was a legend, and believe me, I was skeptical about the new guy too (especially since he wasn't an App alum), but he has won the SAVVY award as well since taking over. I do sometimes wish the videos were longer tho.

I really miss those RISE videos...
Agree 100 percent.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:17 am

I miss jake's work too!

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:20 pm

YesAppCan wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:17 am
I miss jake's work too!
Me too.... and it's not just the videos... I miss David Jackson his Dad and Brown on the radio... I'm sorry to say but the IMG broadcasts and videos have not been the same since we lost those guys....

As long as the play on the field doesn't also decline after part of our coaching staff gets plucked away it'll be ok. No reason it should... we have the talent!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”