Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

DG Bowl Attendance

appbio91
School: Appalachian State

DG Bowl Attendance

Unread post by appbio91 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:55 am

How was the App crowd? Never got a good shot on TV but sounded loud. Reported attendance was around 29k. Was there anything close to that actually in the stands?

AppAlum1

Re: DG Bowl Attendance

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:24 pm

That 29k number must have counted all the donated tickets. My sophisticated wild ass guess is total fans in stands about 13k-15k at kickoff. About 83% were app fans, 7% rocket fans, and 10% locals/neutral. Yes app fans were loud. It appeared to me we disrupted play a couple times at least.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:11 pm

One of the most vocal crowds of the season!!! We definitely had an impact!!! Size was probably close to 18-19,000...mostly App fans (at least this what a So Alabama fan said...also said it was the loudest crowd of the season...he wishes their fan base were more like us)!!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:23 pm

On TV, it didn't look like there were anywhere near that 18-19,000 ; especially since the end zone was 95% empty. The middle of both sides looked very full. The ends of both sides, not so much. However it was good to hear the crowd as loud considering the number that were there. It was great to see the Band of Distinction looking great although they couldn't be heard much on TV.
It's unusual to see the crowd fairly loud in a runaway shut out, but it certainly was. It helped that the game was played in the deep South, as we got the advantage of southerners pulling for the more southern team. ;)
Having said all this, I just wish I could have been there in person to soak in the atmosphere.

Our resident meteorologist seem to hit the nail on the head in his prediction.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:29 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:24 pm
That 29k number must have counted all the donated tickets. My sophisticated wild ass guess is total fans in stands about 13k-15k at kickoff. About 83% were app fans, 7% rocket fans, and 10% locals/neutral. Yes app fans were loud. It appeared to me we disrupted play a couple times at least.
Good post. You said what I was trying to say, but more articulately for sure.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:00 pm

I had the pleasure of watching the game from a suite ... a rare treat. The suites were above the Toledo fans. We could hear the App fans loud and clear ... when we weren't going nuts ourselves. The Toledo suite beside us was a bit subdued to say the least.

The App fans in attendance definitely made themselves heard.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:40 pm

I can't imagine that there were more than 12k there and I wouldn't be surprised if it was only 8k.

What was up with the young women in the colorful hoop dresses? I never heard the stadium announcer mention them as they were on the field. Why did they sit behind our bench on the concourse (like what we need to add at KBS after the track is removed) for the first half?

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:20 pm

I noted in a different post, officially the attendance may have been 28k, but the butts in seats was closer to 8-10k at best. Based on our band having 250 members at the game, they took most of one section. If I count 8 sections of Apps, that’s about 2000 ASU fans. Add some more App fans scattered around and maybe we get to 2500. But we were loud vocal and outnumbered Toledo by 5:1. I thought for so many to have to travel on Christmas Eve it was a great turnout for us. It’s great to be a Mountaineer!

MobileBama
School: Alabama

Unread post by MobileBama » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:23 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:40 pm
What was up with the young women in the colorful hoop dresses? I never heard the stadium announcer mention them as they were on the field. Why did they sit behind our bench on the concourse (like what we need to add at KBS after the track is removed) for the first half?
They are Azalea Trail Maids. High school seniors who act as ambassadors for the city. They appear at major city events and travel to parades and events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azalea_Trail_Maids

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”