• Birthdays

Next DC

MountaineerKidd
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:57 pm
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 5 times

Next DC

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:38 pm

With Woody to GT looking more than likely a done deal. What are everyone's thoughts on his replacement?



User avatar
manonabuffalo
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:39 am
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Hmmmm

Let me see....'takes look at current Wofford DC in media guide'....found him

http://athletics.wofford.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=660

Even has experience as a recruiter in SC/GA no less, worth an interview.



mtnjax
Posts: 1548
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 94 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by mtnjax » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:51 pm

manonabuffalo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:42 pm
Hmmmm

Let me see....'takes look at current Wofford DC in media guide'....found him

http://athletics.wofford.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=660

Even has experience as a recruiter in SC/GA no less, worth an interview.
We could just poach Ga St's DC. I believe he was Woody's successor at Wofford



User avatar
AppGrad78
Posts: 3774
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Waynesville, NC; Resides: Greensboro, NC
Has thanked: 1006 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Our next defensive coordinator must have 3-4 experience. Otherwise we're inserting a square peg in a round hole.



3rd
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by 3rd » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:02 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Our next defensive coordinator must have 3-4 experience. Otherwise we're inserting a square peg in a round hole.
And also need to add someone with strong ties to GA and SC recruiting wise. Because depending on if anyone else goes we could lose our main people who recruited GA and SC.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1582 times
Been thanked: 1312 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Most coordinators, including Woody, are not heavily involved in recruiting. Not to say the next one couldn't be, but I don't think that's as big a factor as some suggest.



sixtoes9134
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:42 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:14 pm

puzzle piece #1, replace Sloan.



User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4665
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 732 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:28 pm

We also get the option to hire a 10th assistant this year, so three coaches can be hired if no one else leaves.



User avatar
firemoose
Posts: 6649
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 2786 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:45 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:05 pm
Most coordinators, including Woody, are not heavily involved in recruiting. Not to say the next one couldn't be, but I don't think that's as big a factor as some suggest.
Not who he's referring to. Nate has never been big on the act of recruiting. Sloan is 1. And if either takes Brown that's pretty much all of GA and SC as things stand.



appstfan
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:30 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by appstfan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:14 pm

Another candidate for Georgia Tech--
Football: Defensive Coordinator Candidates - Florida Stare Defensive Coordinator Charles Kelly

The former GT assistant and Florida State DC could be a nice fit at Georgia Tech!



EastHallApp
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1582 times
Been thanked: 1312 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:30 pm

firemoose wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:45 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:05 pm
Most coordinators, including Woody, are not heavily involved in recruiting. Not to say the next one couldn't be, but I don't think that's as big a factor as some suggest.
Not who he's referring to. Nate has never been big on the act of recruiting. Sloan is 1. And if either takes Brown that's pretty much all of GA and SC as things stand.
Gotcha, I read the post as referring to the next DC. No doubt replacing the recruiting ties of Sloan and Brown is/would be a high priority.



appstate77
Posts: 1600
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:49 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lexington, South Carolina
Has thanked: 422 times
Been thanked: 267 times
Contact:

Re: Next DC

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Stott from JMU looks pretty dang good!!!....If indeed Woody goes. The WS paper now has a story about Woody and GT.



Goapps15
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Stott also has ties to NC. Raised in Kannapolis.



AppSt94
Posts: 2254
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 355 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:27 pm

I realize that this thread is about the DC, but should Woody leave, that leaves us in need of a LB coach. Any chance that Pierre Banks can come down from the television booth and coach? Does he have that interest? Dude is passionate, relatable, and loved App. Just curious.



User avatar
manonabuffalo
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:39 am
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:37 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:27 pm
I realize that this thread is about the DC, but should Woody leave, that leaves us in need of a LB coach. Any chance that Pierre Banks can come down from the television booth and coach? Does he have that interest? Dude is passionate, relatable, and loved App. Just curious.
If whomever replaces Woody is more comfortable coaching the secondary and doing DC duties it might be a good idea. Only other option is if Dale Jones coaches all the LBs, and Pierre helps out with the OLBs.



Goapps15
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:23 pm

DJ Smith is already on staff as an analyst. He would be more likely



AppSt94
Posts: 2254
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 355 times
Been thanked: 352 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Did not realize DJ was on the staff. I would agree that he would make a better candidate.



User avatar
APPARJ
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 237 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:38 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:35 pm
Did not realize DJ was on the staff. I would agree that he would make a better candidate.
For defensive coordinator?!?!?


Image ImageImage
ImageImage

User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 4665
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 732 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:42 pm

I love our former players, but I'd want experienced assistant coaches before I'd grab a former player.



Goapps15
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Next DC

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:15 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:42 pm
I love our former players, but I'd want experienced assistant coaches before I'd grab a former player.
My comment was made as a LB coach. Nothing more.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 149 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 145 guests

    Most users ever online was 1049 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 am

    Users browsing this forum: AppDawg, AppfaninCAALand, Apps03, JMappfan5 and 145 guests