Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Lamb

appstatealum
School: Appalachian State

Lamb

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:26 pm

So, I am a '05-'06 Alum and have only missed a handful of games since 2002. Back in 2015, I came on here and stated that Lamb was a good FCS QB, but would limit our success as we move forward in the FBS. Of course, my critique opened the floodgates of backlash, but it was never a personal shot at Lamb. My opinion really has not changed, as I feel like Lamb was very limited and it really showed in his performances against P5 competition (which I attended all but the Michigan game). HOWEVER, after reflecting on his career, we could not have asked for a better player and young man to come in and be the guy to lead us through a transition. He was an FCS recruit and his arm was not the best, but he was a "gamer" and used what he had to lead us to 3 straight bowl wins and one of the best FBS records over the last 3 years. Tonight, I toast to you, Taylor Lamb. Thank you for what you did for the Black and Gold. I will happily eat this crow, as I can't imagine anyone else accomplishing the same feat.

I would be lying if I said I was not excited to see the future at QB, perhaps have a QB who can make the plays with his arm that Taylor did with his legs. A truly new era has arrived in Boone, lets embrace it and continue to propel this program forward.
The Appalachian State

ncman071

Re: Lamb

Unread post by ncman071 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:50 pm

He was not an FCS recruit. He would not have come to App if we were not transitioning to FBS. Also, as far as P5 competion, that is a bit unfair as well. He has not played a middle tier P5 program...they have all been very good programs. He may have looked limited at times but understand this, his O Line played a huge role in how his performance was against P5 teams. And btw, he had some very decent outings against those teams. He's a winner and we were lucky to have him.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:53 pm

ncman071 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:50 pm
He was not an FCS recruit. He would not have come to App if we were not transitioning to FBS. Also, as far as P5 competion, that is a bit unfair as well. He has not played a middle tier P5 program...they have all been very good programs. He may have looked limited at times but understand this, his O Line played a huge role in how his performance was against P5 teams. And btw, he had some very decent outings against those teams. He's a winner and we were lucky to have him.
Wake fans love you for this
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm

ncman071 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:50 pm
None of it was meant to be "backhanded" compliments. Lamb was limited, and there were absolutely elements of our team that played a part of that. But I agree with your sentiments above, he was absolutely a winner and we were incredibly lucky to get him as an FCS/FBS transitional recruit. Lamb, Cox, and Nate Woody's defense defined our identity over the last few years and now they are gone. It will be interesting to see how this team's identity changes, if at all. Jalen is one of the guys who comes to mind on offense, and Duck/Hayes really stepped up this yesr on defense.
The Appalachian State

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:41 pm

In before WVAppeer posts an “I told you so”

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:46 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:41 pm
In before WVAppeer posts an “I told you so”
Good one!!!!

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:09 pm

All are limited in our abilities. The team works together to achieve common goals. While some are better than others none are 100%. And while my name's Johnny and im the best there's ever been .....so far. Even the ones we strive to emulate or be like have limitations. Would it be nice to have a QB that can throw 80 yards to the corner on a dime ? Maybe so but it has been really really nice not to worry about the QB doing something stupid every few series of plays. With Taylor in the game we always had a chance to win.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:33 pm

appstatealum, as was mentioned, Taylor was not a FCS recruit. He was on his was to the Sun Belt USA Jags, until he changed his mind and decided on App.

I can't think of a game we lost because of TL, but I sure do think he was critical to us winning some we otherwise might not have. I will join you in your toast, but I think you have unrealistic expectations. Good luck with those.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:52 pm

I think he goes down as the second best qb to wear the black and gold. Honestly, what he has accomplished during a transition is unprecedented and frankly should get more media attention. Yes, he had some limits in his skill set but not in his leadership and determination. Taylor Lamb has been great for Appalachian and we are all fortunate we had him at the helm for our transition because what has been a great 4 year run could have been really challenging, just ask southern.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:55 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:33 pm
appstatealum, as was mentioned, Taylor was not a FCS recruit. He was on his was to the Sun Belt USA Jags, until he changed his mind and decided on App.

I can't think of a game we lost because of TL, but I sure do think he was critical to us winning some we otherwise might not have. I will join you in your toast, but I think you have unrealistic expectations. Good luck with those.
I meant “FCS recruit” in the sense that he knew the situation he was coming into. Again, I am definitely aknowledging that my assessment back in 2015 was wrong and Taylor was good enough to take us to the heights we have reached over the last 3 years. Also, a great point you made, Taylor never made those critical mistakes that would cost us games.

Cheers to the Black and Gold faithful tonight, look forward to next fall (and the possible trip to Happy Valley).
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:57 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:52 pm
I think he goes down as the second best qb to wear the black and gold. Honestly, what he has accomplished during a transition is unprecedented and frankly should get more media attention. Yes, he had some limits in his skill set but not in his leadership and determination. Taylor Lamb has been great for Appalachian and we are all fortunate we had him at the helm for our transition because what has been a great 4 year run could have been really challenging, just ask southern.
Amen, well put.
The Appalachian State

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:13 pm

TL was a coach on the field, which gave us an incredible advantage. He was a champion and will be sorely missed.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:45 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:52 pm
Over the course of a career I would say yes TL is second behind AE. I do think had Richie had the spread for four years he probably be thrown in the mix. Eye test for me though puts Richie and AE ahead of TL. But regardless of where they rank, TL did a hell of a job making us relevant in FBS. We could have not made a bowl game since moving up, instead we are 3-0. Of course it's a team effort and our defense has been solid, but he played a large part as do most QBs. Going to be tough to replace and he will be missed. I am excited to see the battle for starter next year.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:21 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:26 pm
So, I am a '05-'06 Alum and have only missed a handful of games since 2002. Back in 2015, I came on here and stated that Lamb was a good FCS QB, but would limit our success as we move forward in the FBS. Of course, my critique opened the floodgates of backlash, but it was never a personal shot at Lamb. My opinion really has not changed, as I feel like Lamb was very limited and it really showed in his performances against P5 competition (which I attended all but the Michigan game). HOWEVER, after reflecting on his career, we could not have asked for a better player and young man to come in and be the guy to lead us through a transition. He was an FCS recruit and his arm was not the best, but he was a "gamer" and used what he had to lead us to 3 straight bowl wins and one of the best FBS records over the last 3 years. Tonight, I toast to you, Taylor Lamb. Thank you for what you did for the Black and Gold. I will happily eat this crow, as I can't imagine anyone else accomplishing the same feat.

I would be lying if I said I was not excited to see the future at QB, perhaps have a QB who can make the plays with his arm that Taylor did with his legs. A truly new era has arrived in Boone, lets embrace it and continue to propel this program forward.
I agree, Lamb was very limited (note the sarcasm). He passed for 2,737 yds, 27 TD's and had a 61.13% rate.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Please someone who is a QB expert tell us football morons which games App lost with TL at QB that we should or could have won had he played better- or if he wasn’t limited. I am going to eliminate two right off the bat- Clemson and UGA.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:22 am

Wake was his best collegiate game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”