Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The Quarterbacks

NO.2
School: Appalachian State

Re: The Quarterbacks

Unread post by NO.2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:26 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:08 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:47 am
Tangible QB skills we have a minimum of three guys better than TL on the roster, intangibles I’d be surprised if any pass him in 2018. I’d love to be wrong!

Intangibles...I doubt anyone will ever surpass him.
I'm sure you said the same thing about Pat Murphy, Browny, Richie and AE. TL was great but sooner or later there will be another.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm

firemoose wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 pm
Check out :31. Just FYI the #8 that throws the post route is Steph Brown.

Has Jamal Jacksons throwing motion. I always thought, and still believe that Jackson had the best ability to throw a deep touch pass. Seems Zac Thomas has the best ability to throw the ball deep on a rope. I'm hopeful that whoever starts possess' the top of the line arm strength App has been missing at this level. The receivers, in my opinion, are grossly underutilized based upon their abilities.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:32 pm

AppFan98 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:35 pm
Working at practice everyday it is very clear that the battle for QB #1 is a two man race, not a four man race like many think, but honestly its Thomas's job to lose. Thomas and Huesman both have a strong arm but Thomas has just a little more mobility. Derrick and Stephon both have a long and I mean a LONG path of development to follow before they can even be considered for QB #1. It's not that the two aren't good QB's its just that they both still need a little time to work into the system. If Thomas can continue on the path he is on, without a doubt he will become another special player for App!
Thomas reminds me of a record setting QB that came from the state of Texas and ended up at ECU. He left high school as a two star prospect, however I always felt when I watched his film that he was likely under rated due to location. The prospect I refer to is Shane Carden.

appfan22

Unread post by appfan22 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 pm

You can't teach 6'5 220... Brown's skill set and physical talent opens up an entire new segment of the playbook - any Carolina Panthers fans out there? Couple his size and the seemingly never-ending speed we have always had in our backfield at tailback and slot - you have the makings for a whole new level of a rushing powerhouse. Early enrollee QB's (Fromm and J. Hurts to name a couple) have historically performed well as true freshmen with above average supporting casts. I would not be surprised to see Brown as QB1 at the conclusion of camp - if the staff is confident the mature decision - making is there. ZT will be tough to knock off however.

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:55 pm

appfan22 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 pm
You can't teach 6'5 220... Brown's skill set and physical talent opens up an entire new segment of the playbook - any Carolina Panthers fans out there? Couple his size and the seemingly never-ending speed we have always had in our backfield at tailback and slot - you have the makings for a whole new level of a rushing powerhouse. Early enrollee QB's (Fromm and J. Hurts to name a couple) have historically performed well as true freshmen with above average supporting casts. I would not be surprised to see Brown as QB1 at the conclusion of camp - if the staff is confident the mature decision - making is there. ZT will be tough to knock off however.
I think it’s really unfair to compare brown to Fromm and Hurts. Those guys were both some of the best high school QBs in the entire country with way more polish. Zac Thomas is a Taylor Lamb clone with a better arm. He’ll be the starter based on reports outta camp. Stephon did NOT look that polished in the shrine bowl. We need to give the kid a chance before we throw him out there.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Yo I already feel for Zac Thomas

That dude is most likely going to have a superb season in 2018 for us, but every time he makes the smallest mistake people are gonna be clamoring for Brown because he's "big." So basically I expect him to get the Taylor Lamb treatment lol. Where he'll play great and win games, but fans will still for some reason think we have someone better.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:05 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 pm

That dude is most likely going to have a superb season in 2018 for us, but every time he makes the smallest mistake people are gonna be clamoring for Brown because he's "big." So basically I expect him to get the Taylor Lamb treatment lol. Where he'll play great and win games, but fans will still for some reason think we have someone better.
Well, yea!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:29 pm

appfan22 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 pm
Saw Stephon play in-person. He has the potential to be a special talent in a year or two. He could definitely benefit from a Red-shirt season. I was also at two Shrine Bowl practices and the kid at ECU was clearly more prepared for that level of play. Stephon played well but he needs time to develop. I am excited for his and OUR future.

yosefederation

Unread post by yosefederation » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:06 am

The pepper that the piper picks will be do just fine. If not there's plenty of time, to pick another pickled pepper from the pipers pics.👍👌

TheMackAttack

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:58 am

diehardapp18 wrote:

Of course it’s going to happen. This is the same fan base that was calling for JP Caruso, who couldn’t win the starting job at Delaware last year, to replace Taylor Lamb, who led this team during the greatest FCS to FBS transition in the history of the world. I have exactly zero faith in the ability of this fan base to be reasonable when it comes to QB play.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:14 am

TheMackAttack wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:58 am
diehardapp18 wrote:

Of course it’s going to happen. This is the same fan base that was calling for JP Caruso, who couldn’t win the starting job at Delaware last year, to replace Taylor Lamb, who led this team during the greatest FCS to FBS transition in the history of the world. I have exactly zero faith in the ability of this fan base to be reasonable when it comes to QB play.
“In Satterfield and Ponce we trust”

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:19 am

Depth good ! Fire bad !

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:03 pm

I also think it’s probably a good idea to let brown redshirt to get used to the speed of the college game and learn our system, but not sure how we can call anyone Lamb with a better arm.
What made lamb so successful was his poise and ability to read the field and remain cool under pressure. A lot of this is probably due to being a coach’s son and having a football pedigree.
Does Thomas have that? I really don’t know. I’m sure someone knows, but I do not. I’m sure he is a solid qb and will be the starter until he loses the job or graduates, but we need to not have any expectations or pre-conceived notions on who he is/will be, or who will be like.
Let Thomas be Thomas. The coaches will make the decision if that is good enough to be App’s starting QB.
Taylor Lamb was not Armanti Edwards, but both had solid and record setting careers for us, and that should be good enough for everyone.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Don't be too hard on us. Where else can we go and pretend we have any idea of what the hell we are talking about.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:36 pm

TheMackAttack wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:58 am
diehardapp18 wrote:

To be fair, Caruso did eventually unseat the third year starter at UD and the Hens inproved.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:36 pm

I want strong competition for the QB position because it will make all of them better and ultimately produce a better starter whoever it is.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 pm

The back up QB is always the most popular guy on campus.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:08 pm

I love that we are debating whether to bench the starting QB when 1) it's spring practice and 2) we don't officially HAVE a starting QB yet.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:09 am

Zac Thomas’ dad played at Auburn. Zac had an offer from Auburn to play defensive back, but chose App because he wanted to play quarterback.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:06 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:09 am
Zac Thomas’ dad played at Auburn. Zac had an offer from Auburn to play defensive back, but chose App because he wanted to play quarterback.
Sounds like AE when deciding b/w App and Clemson....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”