Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

HighlandsApp
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 283 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:26 pm

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/1/ ... igh-ruston

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/01/nc-s ... -tech-usf/

Oh well.... Home and Home with USF and BYU plus a three game deal with Ruston.....

Debbie Yow what about your sister institutions AppState, Charlotte and ECU?



User avatar
S.Lewis15
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 82 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm

NC State is perennially overrated. They don't have the name recognition of UNC, and they don't have rivalry history like ECU or Wake does. A game with them does nothing for me.



jm18668
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by jm18668 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 pm

We are too good for NCSU to consider scheduling. They almost always schedule the OOC games to go 4-0 so they can still make a bowl after going 2-6 in the ACC. I'd rather play home/home vs Wake, ECU, Marshall, Charlotte, or pick up a home only against an old So-Con rival.



NewApp
Posts: 3544
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 270 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm

S.Lewis15 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm
NC State is perennially overrated. They don't have the name recognition of UNC, and they don't have rivalry history like ECU or Wake does. A game with them does nothing for me.
S. Lewis, what you posted has a lot of truth to it, but the sad thing is we've never beaten them in football, from 1932-2006. If my info and recollection are correct, we lost 31-0 in 1932, 17-14 in 1980 (on the controversial Brown to Beasley ref call), 33-7 in 1983, 56-0 in 1990, 35-10 in 1992, 23-10 in 2006. I was fortunate enough to see all of the games in person except the 1990 fiasco. Perhaps I have left out a year. If so, asu66 can fill us in. At any rate, we have lost all of them including two shut outs, but had one close game in the 1980 match up.
Perhaps they are over rated, but you can't tell it from the record.



HighlandsApp
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 283 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:08 pm

My oldest three are all at AppState, which of course is also my alma mater, but my youngest wants to be an engineer. He has been accepted at AppState (which I hate to say may be last on his list), the engineering school at Charlotte and he will hear from State on the 29th. So I was hopeful for a home and home or a Home and Home and payday game series like we have arranged with UNCCH. Oh well, I will hope for a local series may Duke will schedule us a home and Home.



Stonewall
Posts: 637
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm
S.Lewis15 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm
NC State is perennially overrated. They don't have the name recognition of UNC, and they don't have rivalry history like ECU or Wake does. A game with them does nothing for me.
S. Lewis, what you posted has a lot of truth to it, but the sad thing is we've never beaten them in football, from 1932-2006. If my info and recollection are correct, we lost 31-0 in 1932, 17-14 in 1980 (on the controversial Brown to Beasley ref call), 33-7 in 1983, 56-0 in 1990, 35-10 in 1992, 23-10 in 2006. I was fortunate enough to see all of the games in person except the 1990 fiasco. Perhaps I have left out a year. If so, asu66 can fill us in. At any rate, we have lost all of them including two shut outs, but had one close game in the 1980 match up.
Perhaps they are over rated, but you can't tell it from the record.
How old are you ???



User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 3182
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 382 times
Been thanked: 980 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:46 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 pm
NewApp wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm
S.Lewis15 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm
NC State is perennially overrated. They don't have the name recognition of UNC, and they don't have rivalry history like ECU or Wake does. A game with them does nothing for me.
S. Lewis, what you posted has a lot of truth to it, but the sad thing is we've never beaten them in football, from 1932-2006. If my info and recollection are correct, we lost 31-0 in 1932, 17-14 in 1980 (on the controversial Brown to Beasley ref call), 33-7 in 1983, 56-0 in 1990, 35-10 in 1992, 23-10 in 2006. I was fortunate enough to see all of the games in person except the 1990 fiasco. Perhaps I have left out a year. If so, asu66 can fill us in. At any rate, we have lost all of them including two shut outs, but had one close game in the 1980 match up.
Perhaps they are over rated, but you can't tell it from the record.
How old are you ???
If he saw the 1st one at age 1 he's 85.....



yosefederation
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by yosefederation » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:26 am

Lmao---apples & oranges comparison. The kicker to the humor, profile name🙈😄



User avatar
NO.2
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:27 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:08 pm
My oldest three are all at AppState, which of course is also my alma mater, but my youngest wants to be an engineer. He has been accepted at AppState (which I hate to say may be last on his list), the engineering school at Charlotte and he will hear from State on the 29th. So I was hopeful for a home and home or a Home and Home and payday game series like we have arranged with UNCCH. Oh well, I will hope for a local series may Duke will schedule us a home and Home.
One of my best friends went to the engineering school at Charlotte. He got a great education and has a great job in the field but he regrets spending his college years there over other places he got into, including State and Clemson.



User avatar
NattyBumppo'sRevenge
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 206 times
Been thanked: 178 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:51 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:46 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 pm
NewApp wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm
S.Lewis15 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm
NC State is perennially overrated. They don't have the name recognition of UNC, and they don't have rivalry history like ECU or Wake does. A game with them does nothing for me.
S. Lewis, what you posted has a lot of truth to it, but the sad thing is we've never beaten them in football, from 1932-2006. If my info and recollection are correct, we lost 31-0 in 1932, 17-14 in 1980 (on the controversial Brown to Beasley ref call), 33-7 in 1983, 56-0 in 1990, 35-10 in 1992, 23-10 in 2006. I was fortunate enough to see all of the games in person except the 1990 fiasco. Perhaps I have left out a year. If so, asu66 can fill us in. At any rate, we have lost all of them including two shut outs, but had one close game in the 1980 match up.
Perhaps they are over rated, but you can't tell it from the record.
How old are you ???
If he saw the 1st one at age 1 he's 85.....
That's if he was an infant when he saw it. I'm thinking he'd have to be 90+



User avatar
NattyBumppo'sRevenge
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 206 times
Been thanked: 178 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 am

As much as I want to play NC State, UNC, ECU, Wake and Duke, the only reason for them to do a true home and home with us is to save on traveling costs. I think that will change over time if we continue to have success and our program grows. At some point, we will be the ones turning down ECU and UNC-Charlotte.



HighlandsApp
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 283 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 am

NO.2 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:27 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:08 pm
My oldest three are all at AppState, which of course is also my alma mater, but my youngest wants to be an engineer. He has been accepted at AppState (which I hate to say may be last on his list), the engineering school at Charlotte and he will hear from State on the 29th. So I was hopeful for a home and home or a Home and Home and payday game series like we have arranged with UNCCH. Oh well, I will hope for a local series may Duke will schedule us a home and Home.
One of my best friends went to the engineering school at Charlotte. He got a great education and has a great job in the field but he regrets spending his college years there over other places he got into, including State and Clemson.
Thanks for that. My youngest just received an email this morning that he is accepted at State. If he isn't going to be a Mountaineer like his three siblings and dad, I was really hoping for a rivalry game with his choice of school....



HighlandsApp
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 283 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:42 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 am
As much as I want to play NC State, UNC, ECU, Wake and Duke, the only reason for them to do a true home and home with us is to save on traveling costs. I think that will change over time if we continue to have success and our program grows. At some point, we will be the ones turning down ECU and UNC-Charlotte.
If it is a three game deal like with UNCCH then I think that’s great and a win for all. If we only get $900k to $1mm payday for a game where our travel costs are low low AND the home and Home, then we win big. The opponent wins because they will sell an extra 10k of tickets and sell out their game. As fans, we need to get off our high horse. Our horse isn’t grown up yet....



CoachRob
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:00 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 am
As much as I want to play NC State, UNC, ECU, Wake and Duke, the only reason for them to do a true home and home with us is to save on traveling costs. I think that will change over time if we continue to have success and our program grows. At some point, we will be the ones turning down ECU and UNC-Charlotte.
I want to say ticket sales has a little to do with it too. Most teams are struggling to fill seats unless it's a big time matchup. I've recently been to games at Carolina, State, and Duke. State seems to be the only program that constantly fill out their stadium. UNC is actually making renovations to take away some seating. While only time I've seen Wallace Wade full is when Carolina or State come to town, and even then at least a 4th of the stadium in either red or carolina blue.
It makes since to schedule to local G5 school in assuming they will travel well and buy tickets. However I may be off.
Duke is the team I really want to see on the schedule. Don't foresee Cut being there too much longer and they'll drop when he leaves. Wouldn't mind beating the yankee school of the south.



User avatar
MAD Doctor
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:38 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:56 am

Whatever. We certainly don't need them. They'd think they were our Super Bowl, when in fact they haven't sniffed a conference title since Joannie loved Chachi.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4592
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1598 times
Been thanked: 1328 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 am
As much as I want to play NC State, UNC, ECU, Wake and Duke, the only reason for them to do a true home and home with us is to save on traveling costs. I think that will change over time if we continue to have success and our program grows. At some point, we will be the ones turning down ECU and UNC-Charlotte.
It’s more financially feasible for those schools to play us (or any other G5) H&H than to pay us market rate for a money game. That’s why you’re seeing more and more P5-G5 H&H series being scheduled.



ncman071
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:40 am
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by ncman071 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:19 pm

I really want a rematch with State. Ever since 06 when we got "blown out" 23-10 and allowed a whopping 30 something yards passing, i have heard too many state fans claim we just got killed. It doesnt matter that we were FCS and still had it 9-7 going into the 4th qtr i believe...

Just one more shot...



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 5989
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 973 times
Been thanked: 570 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm
S.Lewis15 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm
NC State is perennially overrated. They don't have the name recognition of UNC, and they don't have rivalry history like ECU or Wake does. A game with them does nothing for me.
S. Lewis, what you posted has a lot of truth to it, but the sad thing is we've never beaten them in football, from 1932-2006. If my info and recollection are correct, we lost 31-0 in 1932, 17-14 in 1980 (on the controversial Brown to Beasley ref call), 33-7 in 1983, 56-0 in 1990, 35-10 in 1992, 23-10 in 2006. I was fortunate enough to see all of the games in person except the 1990 fiasco. Perhaps I have left out a year. If so, asu66 can fill us in. At any rate, we have lost all of them including two shut outs, but had one close game in the 1980 match up.
Perhaps they are over rated, but you can't tell it from the record.
You were at the 1932 game and remember it? I am impressed. (I am impressed aslo from the others you attended.)


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

kornegaylw
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:04 pm
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by kornegaylw » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 pm

My whole family is NCSU grads, I'm the "black sheep" that went to App. I have this discussion with my father all the time. State fans & season ticket holders would love this game. Here is why it hasn't and won't.

1. NCSU is in the Atlantic division of the ACC and has to play Clemson, FSU & Louisville every year plus WF & UNC who always "play up". State normally is a middle of the road team in the ACC so bad teams want to beat them and good teams NEED the win. A loss to a G5 school like App would be really ugly to bowl games.

2. NCSU fans are pessimistic and negative. They win and they only talk about the negatives. Doeren & Debbie are always on the hot seat. Doeren almost took the TENN job this year after the best season they've had in years! This is why they schedule G5 teams & non-conference teams that stink or are a long way away b/c State fans get enough grief from Duke/UNC fans (Wal-Mart & actual grads) every year. Imagine how much crap we'd talk if App beat The Pack? I'd never stop. I'd demand to say the blessing at Thanksgiving just to thank the lord for the victory!

3. If the Pack loses to App the possibility they lose mid level recruits to App, UNC, ECU, etc. is high. They need the mid-level recruits to fill out their roster and be competitive.

4. There is no upside to the game. Sure they'll sell a bunch of tickets, they always do though b/c Carter Finley has such great parking. A State win will be hard fought b/c App WANTS the victory. Why schedule App when they can schedule Western Carolina and get the same result for less effort. They aren't going to the CFB Playoffs so strength of schedule doesn't mean as much.

5. Finally, NCSU thinks its the big dog in the park. And arguably they are in North Carolina. Biggest, nicest stadium/facilities. Biggest crowds, ranked every so often, 1st round draft players, prime time tv. They think/want to be BAMA...read their message boards, its comical what they think/expect...Playing App would be "playing down" to them.

The long and the short of it is there is too much downside and barely any upside for an App/NCSU game.



Stonewall
Posts: 637
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 334 times
Been thanked: 192 times

Re: Scheduling anything with NC State looks unlikely. NC State blows.....

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Western also works cheaper.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 116 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 114 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: McLeansvilleAppFan, VNova and 114 guests