SunBelt Championship game

AAPP1
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 3 times

SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by AAPP1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 pm

I am not counting my chickens before they hatch or anything but I couldn't find it. Where is the Sunbelt Championship game played? This may have been discussed but I can't find it.



SoCalApp
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 pm
School: Appalachian State

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by SoCalApp » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 pm

From Wikipedia...

The game will be played at the home stadium of the team with the best College Football Playoff ranking. If no teams are ranked in the CFP selection committee, the conference will determine home field using a formula based on six computer ratings that were used in the old Bowl Championship Series standings.



MDaniels84
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:47 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:04 pm

So, in KBS you say... ;)



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 5699
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 868 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:23 pm

If ArkSt takes their division due to a weaker division it would seem there would be a slight advantage being in the east for home field in the championship game. A stronger division should lead to a better SOS and RPI type ranking. Of course OOC will play a part in SOS as well.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
NO.2
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 136 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:10 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:23 pm
If ArkSt takes their division due to a weaker division it would seem there would be a slight advantage being in the east for home field in the championship game. A stronger division should lead to a better SOS and RPI type ranking. Of course OOC will play a part in SOS as well.
...So the game will never be in Jonesboro.

Got it, haha.



User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 3848
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 723 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

There's conflicting information out there as to the rules regarding hosting the SBC Championship game. We need the Conference to clarify this before anyone kicks off this fall.

ESPN:

"The division winners will meet in the championship game, which will be played at the home stadium of the team with the best College Football Playoff ranking."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... all-season

SI Article:

"The two division winners will meet in the championship game, which will be played at the home stadium of the division winner who is highest ranked in the College Football Playoff poll."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017 ... lit_i.html

SBC Presser for this season's conference schedule:

"The Sun Belt’s championship game will be played on Saturday, December 1, and will air on ABC, ESPN, or ESPN2. The game will feature the winners of the Sun Belt’s two divisions and will take place at the home site of the divisional champion with the best overall conference winning percentage."

http://sunbeltsports.org/news/2018/2/27 ... edule.aspx


The West division is weak. There's a strong possibility that the East division champion will have a conference loss, but a higher CFP ranking than Ark State. The rule might decide whether this game is in Jonesboro or Boone/Troy.



User avatar
NattyBumppo'sRevenge
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 170 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 pm

My guess, is conference record and tie-breaker to be playoff ranking



MDaniels84
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:47 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Regardless of how we get in, can you guys imagine a packed to the brim Kidd Brewer in early December with some snow flurries (not much accumulation), the wafting smell of Woodlands bbq and fried apple pies in the air, and a SunBelt championship on the line..... I, for one, can't wait for the opportunity! :D



fjblair
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:03 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:40 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 pm
My guess, is conference record and tie-breaker to be playoff ranking
This is all. No algorithms or advanced metrics needed.



AppSt94
Posts: 2241
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 352 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Going undefeated in the conference will end the debate.



Appalachman
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 pm
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by Appalachman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:17 pm
Going undefeated in the conference will end the debate.
For App likely, ULM odds to be undefeated near zero. For Troy and ArkSt not so much as both could be since they don’t play.



User avatar
SayYesToTheRock
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:30 pm

fjblair wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:40 pm
NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 pm
My guess, is conference record and tie-breaker to be playoff ranking
This is all. No algorithms or advanced metrics needed.
The problem is, the playoff committee only ranks the top 25. The likelihood of any Sun Belt team being in that ranking is near zero (Troy was #25 for like, a week once?). Because of that, they will have to use advanced metrics nearly always when records are the same.


Fear the Mountaineer

AppOrange
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:28 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 297 times
Been thanked: 122 times
Contact:

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by AppOrange » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:55 pm

MDaniels84 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:03 pm
Regardless of how we get in, can you guys imagine a packed to the brim Kidd Brewer in early December with some snow flurries (not much accumulation), the wafting smell of Woodlands bbq and fried apple pies in the air, and a SunBelt championship on the line..... I, for one, can't wait for the opportunity! :D
The only thing I can smell from my seats is the seafood truck


1996

User avatar
MountaineerChemist10
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:01 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro, NC
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: SunBelt Championship game

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:31 am

AAPP1 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 pm
I am not counting my chickens before they hatch or anything but I couldn't find it. Where is the Sunbelt Championship game played? This may have been discussed but I can't find it.
    Easy. In Boone every year. You should already know this :D



    Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

    Return to “Appalachian Football”

    • Who is online
    • In total there are 111 users online :: 2 registered, 1 hidden and 108 guests

      Most users ever online was 1049 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 am

      Users browsing this forum: sixtoes9134, windfonk and 108 guests