Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

football love from virginia loss

Dmanuhone
School: Appalachian State

football love from virginia loss

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:24 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... li=BBnb7Kz

UMBC secured its underdog legacy in sports lore, alongside Buster Douglas, the 1980 United States Olympic hockey team, Appalachian State football and Joe Namath's Jets.
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: football love from virginia loss

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:19 am

I attended an AP workshop at UMBC a few years ago. I was there for a week and lived in the dorms. Just how much can I celebrate with the "We did it!" phrase fans use.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:41 am

Yes Virginia, there is a UMBC. It's a good thing the ACC had 9 teams because they are dropping like flies.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:21 am

ACC is HIGHLY overrated.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:31 am

My wife attended UMBC, now we both have something else in common (UMBC upset of Va and our upset of Fishigan)

yosefederation

Unread post by yosefederation » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:23 am

Dmanuhone wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:24 am
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... li=BBnb7Kz

UMBC secured its underdog legacky in sports lore, alongside Buster Douglas, the 1980 United States Olympic hockey team, Appalachian State football and Joe Namath's Jets.
Can narrow it down even further, considering boxing, Olympics & NFL are all rigged!😮😁👍 Go Mountaineers & Retrievers💕

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:43 am

I think this one tops them all except the Miracle on Ice. That was college kids beating an NHL all start team at the heart of the Cold War. It’ll never be toppled. A mismatch like that might not even be played again.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:14 pm

I’m real annoyed that CBS keeps showing the UMBC upset highlights, then showing clips of other great upsets - BUT NO APP STATE. Is the CBS producer a Michigan grad or something!?!?
YNWA

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:22 pm

I know it's not going away but I wish it would. I'm the one with the multiple search boxes opened who has to keep going through all the social media posts about this. There were over 500 in just the first few minutes after the game. And it's been non stop since then. Happens every time there is an upset somewhere. "This is Appalachian State (or some version of App) over Michigan all over again". In for days of having to go through these posts.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:43 am
I think this one tops them all except the Miracle on Ice. That was college kids beating an NHL all start team at the heart of the Cold War. It’ll never be toppled. A mismatch like that might not even be played again.
On the one hand if is hard to argue between college kids and some professional players, if not NHL level, and what was an amateur team in name only and essentially full time hockey players. Doing a quick search it seems most of the USA team had been drafted by the NHL and WHA in the mid 1970s so they were pro caliber even if they mostly deferred the NHL farm system of the IHL and AHL for college. I think one member of the 1980 team also won the Stanley Cup that same year.

An upset for certain, and a big upset at that, but maybe not the level of upset we tend to remember it for in this country. Cold war politics likely painted this story more than it deserved.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:48 pm

firemoose wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:22 pm
I know it's not going away but I wish it would. I'm the one with the multiple search boxes opened who has to keep going through all the social media posts about this. There were over 500 in just the first few minutes after the game. And it's been non stop since then. Happens every time there is an upset somewhere. "This is Appalachian State (or some version of App) over Michigan all over again". In for days of having to go through these posts.
We are two missed place kicks from that being more of a reality.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:58 pm

I was more referring to the UMBC win but I know what you are saying. The Michigan win has been and will always be on the list and I loved it then and still love it. And every time an upset happens anywhere it puts the win back in the spotlight. If it wasn't for the fact that I have to see pretty much every post that brings it up/compares it/debates which is bigger about every upset then I wouldn't have any problems. But these things just make my life harder to try and find the real App info I'm searching for. :lol:

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Fun fact. UMBC’s Coach is married to an App alum.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:18 pm

And, I (an App alum) am married to a UMBC alum.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:27 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:21 am
ACC is HIGHLY overrated.
Nope Duke and UNC are just that good

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:01 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:21 am
ACC is HIGHLY overrated.
Virginia is good but the loss of their primary bench player really affected their rotation. Most teams settle into a 8 man core come playoff time. That loss meant different combinations that weren’t familiar with playing with each other. Not making excuses. You don’t lose by 20 to a team that you should handle easily if there aren’t some extenuating circumstances.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:01 am

Typically a huge underdog in the tournament comes out blazing as they have zero to lose and are just ecstatic to be there. In most cases the big dog cools off and settles into the inevitable reality and gets beat. In this case UMBC caught fire, realized that they could play with UVA and put them away. UVA isn’t built to play an up and down 80-78 game so once they got down double figures it spelled trouble. Still a huge upset but considering the current landscape of college hoops the line between the blue bloods and the “little guys” isn’t what it used to be. I don’t think we will see the women’s UConn type routes.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:24 am

Wasn't their point guard in the movie "Drumline"?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:11 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:42 pm
Gonzo wrote:
On the one hand if is hard to argue between college kids and some professional players, if not NHL level, and what was an amateur team in name only and essentially full time hockey players. Doing a quick search it seems most of the USA team had been drafted by the NHL and WHA in the mid 1970s so they were pro caliber even if they mostly deferred the NHL farm system of the IHL and AHL for college. I think one member of the 1980 team also won the Stanley Cup that same year.

An upset for certain, and a big upset at that, but maybe not the level of upset we tend to remember it for in this country. Cold war politics likely painted this story more than it deserved.
Ken Morrow was that player and yes he won it with the Islanders. I would argue the point though that it was not at the level of upset we remember. Regardless of whether they had been drafted they were still a bunch of college kids playing true professionals. A team who had been playing together for years and were every bit as good if not better than most NHL teams was beat by a bunch of college kids.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:15 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:42 pm
Gonzo wrote:

I see your point but not sure a lot of people know that these teams played just days before the Olympics started.

'Russian hockey team annihilates Team USA 10-3 in Madison Square Garden exhibition before start of 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid'

So there was the feeling that these 'kids' couldn't hang. They were just crushed by the same team days before. I've always been of the feeling that the App/Michigan game wasn't quite as big of an upset as some made it out to be. Sure, to outsiders it certainly was, but for those around the program and knowledgable fans, we knew that '07 team was really damn good! I personally believe they were a top 25 team in the country that year. Not a lot of people would agree with me but they had a fight about them and they never quit.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”