Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Okay, now I’m jealous...or envious

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Okay, now I’m jealous...or envious

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:31 pm

I went to 2 games. I think the avg attendance was around 2000 or a bit north of that. The FHL talks about their structure needing fewer tix sales to meet expenses. They do play less games in a season.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:34 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 pm
bcoach wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:54 pm
I seem to remember Orange on the tent, so I think it was Clemson.

The Gboro team is in the league (NAL) the High Country team was in last year but this year the HC Grizzlies are in the AAL. Shame the few arena teams in the state could not all be in the same league and develop some rivalries but each league as is often the case with these minor leagues has a lot of movement of teams.
Yeah. The old ECHL had it right with Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh in NC, Greenville, Columbia and Charleston in SC and Richmond, Norfolk and Roanoke in Virginia. Fights on the ice and fights in the stands. It was great until Greensboro/Raleigh got the Hurricanes, Columbia lost its lease when the new coliseum was built and Norfolk left for the AHL. Good times.
Those days were great. I was a season ticket holder in Raleigh from day one till the end. I was also an off ice official for two years. I am now a season ticket holder and sponsor of the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs of the SPHL. Good times again. Sure wish there were a team in Greensboro.
I wish Richmond could get another franchise, but the Coliseum is so dilapidated, I doubt we will see one soon.
Has there been any talk of renovating or replacing the Coliseum? Are there any sporting events still held there?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:15 pm

hapapp wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:34 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 pm
bcoach wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 pm
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:54 pm
I seem to remember Orange on the tent, so I think it was Clemson.

The Gboro team is in the league (NAL) the High Country team was in last year but this year the HC Grizzlies are in the AAL. Shame the few arena teams in the state could not all be in the same league and develop some rivalries but each league as is often the case with these minor leagues has a lot of movement of teams.
Yeah. The old ECHL had it right with Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh in NC, Greenville, Columbia and Charleston in SC and Richmond, Norfolk and Roanoke in Virginia. Fights on the ice and fights in the stands. It was great until Greensboro/Raleigh got the Hurricanes, Columbia lost its lease when the new coliseum was built and Norfolk left for the AHL. Good times.
Those days were great. I was a season ticket holder in Raleigh from day one till the end. I was also an off ice official for two years. I am now a season ticket holder and sponsor of the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs of the SPHL. Good times again. Sure wish there were a team in Greensboro.
I wish Richmond could get another franchise, but the Coliseum is so dilapidated, I doubt we will see one soon.
Has there been any talk of renovating or replacing the Coliseum? Are there any sporting events still held there?
It’s Richmond. They’ll talk about it for the next 10 years, before they decide to talk about it for another 10 years. Then they’ll turn it into a historic site.

They still have some events there. The Grizzlies will be in town in June. I may have to go to that one.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:35 pm

I've seen many a great game in that facility. It's a shame to see it in its current state.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Agreed.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:01 pm

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:31 pm
I went to 2 games. I think the avg attendance was around 2000 or a bit north of that. The FHL talks about their structure needing fewer tix sales to meet expenses. They do play less games in a season.
Sure would love to have you in the league. We have a couple of teams in that 2000 range. Roanoke is averaging about 3400. There are some minor owners but the majority owners are the McGinn brothers one who plays in the AHL. The other two in the NHL one of which plays for the Carolina Hurricanes. Their father Bob is president. Great family who really know hockey.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:57 am

Besides being only 4 teams now it is also spread out so travel can’t be cheap for any FHL tram. The teams could carpool to Fayetteville and Roanoke if they had to.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:29 am

Does a Spring Game have to be played inside the Spring Camp window? Satt held Spring Camp really early this year, and while I don't know if that was a 1 time experiment, I see the logic in what he was attempting, especially with the early enrollees. That said, a Spring Game in January in Boone may be fun for some of us, but it would limit attendance compared to a Spring Game in mid to late April (this year's extended winter weather notwithstanding) . . .
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:49 am

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:57 am
Besides being only 4 teams now it is also spread out so travel can’t be cheap for any FHL tram. The teams could carpool to Fayetteville and Roanoke if they had to.
I'll bet it could work for Greensboro. I am guessing with close rivalries like especially Roanoke it would also build attendance. There are some of our fans who still wear the Roanoke Express sweaters to games.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:05 am

MtnDevil95 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:29 am
Does a Spring Game have to be played inside the Spring Camp window? Satt held Spring Camp really early this year, and while I don't know if that was a 1 time experiment, I see the logic in what he was attempting, especially with the early enrollees. That said, a Spring Game in January in Boone may be fun for some of us, but it would limit attendance compared to a Spring Game in mid to late April (this year's extended winter weather notwithstanding) . . .
The spring games do have to be held during spring camp. And this is not the first time we've gone early for "spring ball". We've done it for three years now. The reasons are that we want to give S&C more offseason, continuous time after camp, instead of some work before, then spring ball, then a couple more weeks before the semester ends. We do spring first, then hand off to S&C for 7-8 weeks of workouts before breaking for a couple of weeks at semester's end and then moving to summer workouts. Second reason is that it gives players who get injured in spring more time to recover/rehab before fall. Some others do the same as us (Duke as an example) but we are usually the first. And more are starting earlier each year.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:23 am

Anecdotally, it seems to me that the last 3 years have shown good improvement in S&C that has paid dividends on the field of play (2017's rash of second half comebacks come to mind). I'd rather win in November and December than attend a spring game in April . . .
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:56 am

bcoach wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:49 am
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:57 am
I'll bet it could work for Greensboro. I am guessing with close rivalries like especially Roanoke it would also build attendance. There are some of our fans who still wear the Roanoke Express sweaters to games.
Rent for the W-S annex I bet is quite low since there is not much going on there that I am aware of except the Dixie Classic Fair. I am sure there are a few things during the winter months but it is not that busy it seems. The Gboro Coliseum is now is a position of making UNCG, I assume, the proirity except when the ACC tourny. Even without UNCG Mens basketball I bet the rent asked for by the Gboro Coliseum may make it a hard sell, though we had great crowds before and no reason it could not happen again.

I am not sure if the Gboro Colisuem rents for a small amount and then takes parking and food/drink or charges a lot for rent but lets the team recoup other revenue. Personally as a city taxpayer I like a variety of things but also something that does not run a huge deficit though I am ok with some deficit with the coliseum if hotels are beign used, which also brings in city taxes, and the other areas that helps the city.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”