Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Future coverage from W-S Journal

bigCasu
School: Appalachian State

Future coverage from W-S Journal

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Hey YC,

This is Ethan Joyce, your friendly neighborhood Appalachian State beat reporter from the Winston-Salem Journal. Shout out to Big C for passing this post along.

Wanted to reach out to you folks for input regarding football season (and beyond, really). As most of you know, and to recap for those who don’t, I hopped onto the beat in the middle of football season. My first game was App vs. WF, and last year as a whole was mainly about survival. I kept to a routine that I could replicate week to week.

But as we get closer to the summer and fall, I’ve been thinking about how to change things up. Wanted to see if you guys have any thoughts for the upcoming football season.

First off, what are you guys looking for on a week-to-week basis in regards to coverage? I’m going to pursue things that I find interesting, but what really interests you guys as the season unfold?

And also, do you guys like game previews, or do you even care about those? Do you want more features on the players? You can get scores and updates from App on games days, and I provide those as well, but how can I add to that experience?

I’m looking for broader ideas here, not necessarily story ideas (though those suggestions are greatly appreciated as well), but I want to make sure I’m pursuing your interests. My coverage does not have to be rigid. I’d prefer it to be adaptive to what you all want.

I’ll keep tabs on this post and your responses here. But if you’d prefer to email me with ideas/suggestions/whatever, feel free at ejoyce@wsjournal.com.

Appreciate those of you guys who follow along on Twitter (@EthanJoyceWSJ) or have reached out through during my first six months, and I look forward to the seasons to come.

EJ

Rekdiver

Re: Future coverage from W-S Journal

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm

What ever your paper does for other FBS schools in the area is what I want.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:49 pm

I want strong analysis of what we are doing good, bad, and ugly. Good stories and encouragement. Don’t throw people under the bus but fluff all the time isn’t good. Compare us to other G5 elite programs.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:11 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm
What ever your paper does for other FBS schools in the area is what I want.
One other thing. Whatever you write gets picked up by the Charlotte Observer because they don’t have an original thought (except for retired Tom Sorensen)

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:29 pm

I would like coverage of our strength and conditioning, nutrition, and equipment staffs. I want in-depth analysis and coverage equal to any NC ACC team. I expect an honest opinion, with no sugar coating. We are a fan base that expects to win every-time against any opponent no matter what the odds. Go Apps, Fight Apps, Kick Ass!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

JGthatsme86

Unread post by JGthatsme86 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:12 am

Ethan- While our coaches understandably tend to keep info on our 2 deep depth chart close to the vest, I think that you do a good job of getting them to talk about new players that are making an impact during practice. Keep this up because if the coaches are talking about them at all, they will be seeing the field. Maybe 2 articles: (1) Redshirt freshmen making an impact in practice and (2) true freshmen that are getting looks with the first team.
Also, I loved the human interest series you did on the new early enrollees. Would like to see that again late summer for the other new signees if possible.
Finally- To all the YC guys that are in Twitter, give this guy a follow. Pretty funny guy!

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:24 am

Hey Ethan. First off, thanks from an "older mountaineer" from the days when we got little if any coverage from anyone. On my wish list would be current info on former mountaineers, including what they are doing after football. As well as what Armanti, Middleton, Gilgore etc. are up to in their leagues and teams.

Also I love the articles on what makes this team and program "tick". What are the dynamics that keep this team winning despite coaches coming and going, players graduating etc. Again from a soon to be retired member of the class of 1977, Thanks!!

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 am

An article on our total game day experience would be great. From the tailgating to the band to the cheer and dance squads; along with the team's interaction with our great fan base. There's nothing anywhere like a home game at Kidd Brewer. Of course I'm a little biased.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:14 am

First I appreciate App having a beat reporter. I read your sister paper in Greensboro so we only get what you report but we are getting more than we used to get in Greensboro. So thanks!

I like the idea of a story on all the things that happen on game day as ASU3432Mi mentioned. That is not something for every week but it would be a great long article to start the season, or highlight one aspect and cover 6 or 7 topics throughout the year with a long article for each home game. I would hunt down a W-S J paper in Greensboro for a series of articles like that as this is something that I doubt the Gboro paper would carry.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:14 am

First I appreciate App having a beat reporter. I read your sister paper in Greensboro so we only get what you report but we are getting more than we used to get in Greensboro. So thanks!

I like the idea of a story on all the things that happen on game day as ASU3432Mi mentioned. That is not something for every week but it would be a great long article to start the season, or highlight one aspect and cover 6 or 7 topics throughout the year with a long article for each home game. I would hunt down a W-S J paper in Greensboro for a series of articles like that as this is something that I doubt the Gboro paper would carry.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 pm

I like your articles! I personally like interviews. I want to hear some stories about our players that we didnt know. I would also like to learn what the opposition’s coaches think about the week’s game against us. Also hear about the strategic vision for the program from the AD/Chancellor/Head coach etc.
Twitter: @RankAppState

asu70

Unread post by asu70 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:11 am

I enjoy your articles, and anything about the football program is always welcomed by me. Thanks for what you do, and keep up the good work!

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:02 pm

While most of the responses revolve around football. I would like more consistent coverage of our other sports. Namely Men’s Basketball and Baseball.

Basketball especially should be covered similarly to the Football team.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:03 pm

I agree with more coverage of winter sports. I am more partial to WBB, I was impressed with Bailey Plummer this year.
Bring Your A Game!

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:06 pm

Injury status of key players, it’s fine if it’s your take, I just want some info.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:07 pm

Honestly, I just want you to write about App State football as much as you do for ACC/other teams.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”