Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Orlando Sentinel

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Orlando Sentinel

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:33 am

The OS rankings began recently. So far two of our 2018 opponents have been featured.

#128: Texas State http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... story.html

#125: UNCC
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c ... story.html

Gonzo

Re: Orlando Sentinel

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:36 am

I hope TxSt improves and it’s hard to imagine that they won’t. My favorite excerpt so far: UNCC FBS transition has been “much dumpier” than others.

Weird phrasing, but undeniable and funny.

💩

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:58 am

I think they are overrated.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Is this the same (or approx. the same) team, Tx State, that we barely beat last year as time ran out? I hope we play up much more throughout the 2018 season. That was one of my gripes last year is that too often we played down to our opponents. I admit that has not necessarily been a characteristic of Satterfield teams in the past but we seemed to do it too often last year. Coupled with various injuries throughout the season and this habit it made for some tough games.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:03 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:52 pm
Is this the same (or approx. the same) team, Tx State, that we barely beat last year as time ran out? I hope we play up much more throughout the 2018 season. That was one of my gripes last year is that too often we played down to our opponents. I admit that has not necessarily been a characteristic of Satterfield teams in the past but we seemed to do it too often last year. Coupled with various injuries throughout the season and this habit it made for some tough games.
I agree last year was kind of an anomaly in terms of our onfield performance and I'm not one for excuses, but it I think the game was a night game and the temperature was hovering in the upper 80's/ low 90's for the majority of the game and it took a lot out of our guys
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:46 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:36 am
I hope TxSt improves and it’s hard to imagine that they won’t. My favorite excerpt so far: UNCC FBS transition has been “much dumpier” than others.

💩
This year will be their 6th season. To be fair to all they should still be considered a startup instead of team that transitioned.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:02 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:46 pm
Gonzo wrote:

💩
This year will be their 6th season. To be fair to all they should still be considered a startup instead of team that transitioned.
Could you say their start up to FCS was dumpy? And the dump just continued into FBS?

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 pm

I didn't realize that Covington had already finished. Left us and missed out on 3 Bowl wins and finished his career with a 1-11 season.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Six-year programs can’t use the startup excuse anymore. They transitioned just like us and they’re arguably worse now than when they transitioned and their start-up excuses held water.

Before they played a snap of football their fans declared UNCC Football’s genesis to be a terminal diagnosis for Appalachian football. Look at them now. Pathetic. Is it September yet?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:36 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

💩
Put whatever label you want on the program, it there is no debate it hasn’t been successful to date. I think they’ll get better with the the new AD though they are likely a bowl team within three years.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:56 pm

CVAPP wrote:
I disagree. They don't get to use the "start-up" excuse any longer. They transitioned to FBS around the same time as the following teams: App, GS, GaSt & ODU. How many years does a program get to consider itself a "start-up"?

GaSt, ODU, UTSA and UNCC are all roughly the same age and all in solid recruiting grounds. How would you rank them?

This is not to say the 49ers can't get the program turned around with the right leadership but it's not the start their fans were hoping for. Let's just hope Satt has the boys focused to handle business in the Rich. Several of their fans are trying to cash in on the game this September. Go take a gander at stubhub. As of today, there are over 90 tickets available ranging from $85-$300 a pop. You can go buy a season ticket for $100-$190 per seat.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Still, it's disrespectful to App to compare UNCC's football birth, infancy and early toddler days in FCS to a storied program such as ours. That's apples and oranges.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:27 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 pm
I didn't realize that Covington had already finished. Left us and missed out on 3 Bowl wins and finished his career with a 1-11 season.
Yep. Great move. Also, I'm sure 2-10 Illinois will make a bowl and raise some eyebrows this year too. :shock:
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:36 pm
CVAPP wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

💩
Put whatever label you want on the program, it there is no debate it hasn’t been successful to date. I think they’ll get better with the the new AD though they are likely a bowl team within three years.
I don't see any evidence that they'll be bowling in three years other than it would be just plain extraordinary for any team to miss the post season for nine years straight. Keep in mind this new AD of theirs kept ol' 1-11 Lambert, yet fired a basketball coach in the middle of basketball season. He's untested and we don't know who he'll hire next year (probably). I'm sure their next head coach will be better than Lambert and there are tons of beatable teams in CUSA these days, so improvement is inevitable, but turning a complete dumpster fire into a post season team in three years is a tough task. Ask Jim Fox.

Just look at mid-major football history since 2008. If there's a program anywhere capable of playing 6 bowl-eligible FBS seasons without even sniffing a bowl game that program is UNCC. They were preseason #126 (third from last) by the Orlando Sentinel last year and somehow managed to underachieve that preseason metric with their final W-L record.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:58 pm
Still, it's disrespectful to App to compare UNCC's football birth, infancy and early toddler days in FCS to a storied program such as ours. That's apples and oranges.
How would you compare the other recent programs (e.g. GSU, ODU & UTSA) to UNCC? That seems more apples to apples.
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:30 pm
I don't see any evidence that they'll be bowling in three years other than it would be just plain extraordinary for any team to miss the post season for nine years straight. Keep in mind this new AD of theirs kept ol' 1-11 Lambert, yet fired a basketball coach in the middle of basketball season. He's untested and we don't know who he'll hire next year (probably). I'm sure their next head coach will be better than Lambert and there are tons of beatable teams in CUSA these days, so improvement is inevitable, but turning a complete dumpster fire into a post season team in three years is a tough task. Ask Jim Fox.
To be fair, Judy Judy Judy retained Lambert and fired Price (possibly to divert attention away from Grady Gate). Hill fired Fancher but it would not have been prudent for him to fire Lambert so late in the game since he wasn't hired until the end of February. March is not exactly prime time to be hiring a head football coach. Regardless, we have seen what a decent coach can do for a program. Look no further than SE down at GSU. Hill just has to make the right hire for UNCC at the end of 2018.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:02 pm

We have Matt Murschel of the Orlando Sentinel on our show today at 5:05pm. If anyone wants to hear it, the podcast will be up at espnupstate.com about 6:30.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:56 pm

moonshine wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm
CVAPP wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:58 pm
How would you compare the other recent programs (e.g. GSU, ODU & UTSA) to UNCC? That seems more apples to apples.
I agree. They are a bunch of newbies cutting their teeth.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:46 pm

UNCC plays Gardner Webb and UMass next year and a CUSA schedule, only takes six wins to go bowling, pretty low bar.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:53 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:46 pm
UNCC plays Gardner Webb and UMass next year and a CUSA schedule, only takes six wins to go bowling, pretty low bar.
They won't beat UMass, and GW won't be a cupcake for them.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:16 pm

Before we get all cocky...we are playing a decent defensive team (10 starters) in Charlotte after the trip to Happy Valley with our QB making his 2nd start. Upsets happen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”