Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

And so it begins....

High Country Student
School: Appalachian State

And so it begins....

Unread post by High Country Student » Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Looks like phase one of the track replacement is about to get fired up. Not exactly sure what this is. Take a look. Counted around 80 of these bags lining the "App" sideline. The entire "State" sideline is also lined. Each bag is pretty large as you can hopefully see in the attachment. I'm hoping this is just the foundation that will be spread over the track with turf to follow. I have many more pics including some close up of the material in my hand however I just cant seem to modify the images to get them small enough to post. I'm not very good with tech but at least this one is small enough.
Attachments
20180517_204159.jpg

HighlandsApp

Re: And so it begins....

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 pm

I think that is the rubber that re fluffs the field turf.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:47 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 pm
I think that is the rubber that re fluffs the field turf.
yep

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:38 am

I didn't realize that there was an earthquake in town last night.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri May 18, 2018 6:47 am

Rubber turf pellet story:

Football video staff often walk around on the field. You get a bunch of those things in your shoes when you do. Jake Stroot would always prank the new hires by telling them to collect all the shoe pellets in a cup at the end of practice and return them to the field.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri May 18, 2018 8:49 am

Back in my early Coast Guard days (early 80s) we would always prank fresh basic training graduates (aka "Boots") once they arrived at our Station. It was a small boat station in New Haven, CT, we did a lot of search and rescue and law enforcement patrols. Anyway, we'd send "The Boots" to the Supply Department to get some Lubber's Line. Lubber's Line defined: a line marked on the compass in a boat, ship or aircraft, showing the direction straight ahead. :lol:

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:49 am
Back in my early Coast Guard days (early 80s) we would always prank fresh basic training graduates (aka "Boots") once they arrived at our Station. It was a small boat station in New Haven, CT, we did a lot of search and rescue and law enforcement patrols. Anyway, we'd send "The Boots" to the Supply Department to get some Lubber's Line. Lubber's Line defined: a line marked on the compass in a boat, ship or aircraft, showing the direction straight ahead. :lol:
I worked at Wendy's during my time at APP and we were always running out of ice. We would send the newbies out to the storage shed to get more water hardener for the ice machine :D

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri May 18, 2018 9:56 am

appbanker wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am
WataugaMan wrote:
I worked at Wendy's during my time at APP and we were always running out of ice. We would send the newbies out to the storage shed to get more water hardener for the ice machine :D
In addition to sending "Boots" to the Supply Department for Lubber's Line, on occasion we'd send them for shoreline. And, they fell for it! LOL

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri May 18, 2018 10:38 am

Is any of that the remains of recycled tires or is that all virgin rubber?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri May 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Air Force we had "Go get 10 yards of flight line" and "camlock stretcher.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri May 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Somebody on the SB Forums (csnbbs) is claiming the track it about to be removed. I wonder a few things.... "How would the field be ready in time for football season with Boone weather?" and "How in track's sake will there be another track ready?"

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 pm

In the construction field I was asked to go get the shingle stretcher .... and make sure it’s the red one ..it was the good one!

Unread post by 8993 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:03 am

My guess would be that they won't start tearing up the track until later in the Summer. While I don't think this will be a minor undertaking, I don't think it'll be exactly major, either. If you all remember correctly, they didn't get their hands really dirty with putting up the new video board till mid-to-late June last year. I don't think they'll start work on the track just yet with right at three months still being left till football season starts.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:57 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:56 am
appbanker wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am
WataugaMan wrote:
In addition to sending "Boots" to the Supply Department for Lubber's Line, on occasion we'd send them for shoreline. And, they fell for it! LOL
New preachers are often "instructed" to have a left handed bible.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Bump...

Back to Track removal and new Track & Field facilities...

I've done a quick scan of NC.gov Div. of Purchase & Contract sites and can find very few "RFP" postings for App State projects. I did find an RFP for "athletics travel management" and another for "20 point-of-sale cash registers for KBS concessions," but that's about it, so far. Nothing for facilities, per se. Will stay on the lookout. Facilities announcements have to be flowing soon, or so one would think!

This RFP for "2018-19 Athletics Travel Management" is interesting.

https://www.ips.state.nc.us/IPS/AGENCY/PDF/12502600.pdf
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”