Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App Band Director Bails

CVAPP
School: Appalachian State

Re: App Band Director Bails

Unread post by CVAPP » Wed May 16, 2018 9:15 pm

asualum78 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:33 pm
My son marched Spirit...lost at least 40 lbs every summer. Came home and challenged the football players to a fitness contest... he won every time! Phantom is more intense! Love them!
My son marched in Spirit last year. He was not out of shape when he joined, but came home in superb shape. He explained, it takes a lot of lung capacity to physically move that way while putting most of your breath/air through an instrument. Naturally, he has less respect the for the drummers because they don't have to be in the same condition.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 pm

I'd like a director who isn't afraid to just start the band every stoppage of play before the piped-in music hits.

tromboneman

Unread post by tromboneman » Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 pm

S.Lewis15 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:46 pm
I'm of the opinion, even as a former woodwind player, that woodwinds don't really have a place in the marching band. I know that would mean completely restructuring the band, but brass only is the way to go.
Like Ohio State

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 pm
They are already North Carolina's Band of Distinction. Nothing will make some of you guys happy. :D
So you are satisfied with the band? Don’t see room for improvement?

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Thu May 17, 2018 7:55 am

Again, a lot comes down to money right now: Donate to the Hayes School of Music.

The HSOM knows the state of the marching band. They need continued support from the AD and Chancellor. That's why when I saw "most saw his leaving coming" it is no surprise. The Dean of the HSOM is really wanting to vamp up our image and recruitment. The BOD has basically no staff to work for it besides student leaders. So if they can find a decent director and hire staff.

Wanna be like Western Carolina or Ohio State? They have 13-20 people, grad assistants, and techs on staff. Why? Money. :)

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 am

Armanti Edwards for band director!

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am

He was a decent band director but one helluva running back! I know, I'll see myself out.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Thu May 17, 2018 8:44 am

tromboneman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 am
I am a huge fan of high stepping Big 10 bands. For the pregame entrance to their halftime shows. WCU is a show band and very good but I'd say hire the Band Director of SC State or A&T.
NO!!!
This!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 am

YesAppCan wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:44 am
tromboneman wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 am
I am a huge fan of high stepping Big 10 bands. For the pregame entrance to their halftime shows. WCU is a show band and very good but I'd say hire the Band Director of SC State or A&T.
NO!!!
This!
My culture is not your prom dress

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:23 pm

I was never completely happy with Dr. Richardson's appointment. His work was never up to that of Dr. Tobias and it was painfully obvious. The Band of Distinction es muy importante to The Mountaineer Nation. Here's to the hope and expectation that our marching band gets its ol' mojo back (and then some) in the coming months.

Image JPG from UTPB web source

Wishing Dr. Richardson much success in his new assignment. Perhaps smaller numbers/somewhat lower expectations in D-II will be more to his liking.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon May 21, 2018 9:41 am

I bet they practice more than 3 hours in Texas

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Tue May 29, 2018 1:01 pm

I want everything that our students do at ASU to be the best. But in all honesty, when the band plays that is when I usally go to the restroom.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:31 pm

I almost threw up in my mouth when I saw someone suggest we do ANYTHING like WCU.

Not going to get into a battle about music tastes, BOD has real musicians who actually study music....

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue May 29, 2018 3:35 pm

I think most would prefer a lot more effort from the BOD leaders. A marching band with some attitude is all we want to see. It's not the students fault but we've been mired in mediocrity for a loooong time

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 30, 2018 8:10 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:35 pm
I think most would prefer a lot more effort from the BOD leaders. A marching band with some attitude is all we want to see. It's not the students fault but we've been mired in mediocrity for a loooong time
Mediocrity? Have you never actually watched our band? They are one of the best in NC, maybe not as good as some of the bands in the past, but certainly better than some other ones in the past and probably the future. There's always room for improvement, but Geez!
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed May 30, 2018 8:38 am

I've watch the same boring routines with the exception of Devil on the Mountain and Kashmir for the last 30 years. Musical arrangements that are more symphonic in nature than a marching band. You need to look outside the bubble at what bands do and we are an average band at best because we have average leadership. We can start with more than 3 hours of practice and more horns. Do you hear the woodwinds at all??? If you poll game attendees you will see most don't pay any attention to the band at halftime for any length of time and they sure as heck arent a big part of the game music selection. I would believe our band members want more that they are being given.....

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 30, 2018 11:28 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:38 am
I've watch the same boring routines with the exception of Devil on the Mountain and Kashmir for the last 30 years. Musical arrangements that are more symphonic in nature than a marching band. You need to look outside the bubble at what bands do and we are an average band at best because we have average leadership. We can start with more than 3 hours of practice and more horns. Do you hear the woodwinds at all??? If you poll game attendees you will see most don't pay any attention to the band at halftime for any length of time and they sure as heck arent a big part of the game music selection. I would believe our band members want more that they are being given.....
What frigging bubble? Just because they don't march the style of the HBU's (e.g. A&T and Central) doesn't mean they are any less exciting. FTR, I enjoy both especially the old HBU Drum and Bugle Corps. , but don't want ours to emulate them. We are called the Band of Distinction for a reason. Everybody has their own style and customs. Do you personally know any of the present band members? I do and have every year for the past decade or more. . To boot my son is in a public school band and I know how many hours they practice a week not counting a few hours on the field.

You have to remember that historically, few proportionately are/have been music majors. I'm sure you knew that, but just a reminder.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed May 30, 2018 12:17 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:28 am
Rekdiver wrote:
What frigging bubble? Just because they don't march the style of the HBU's (e.g. A&T and Central) doesn't mean they are any less exciting. FTR, I enjoy both especially the old HBU Drum and Bugle Corps. , but don't want ours to emulate them. We are called the Band of Distinction for a reason. Everybody has their own style and customs. Do you personally know any of the present band members? I do and have every year for the past decade or more. . To boot my son is in a public school band and I know how many hours they practice a week not counting a few hours on the field.

You have to remember that historically, few proportionately are/have been music majors. I'm sure you knew that, but just a reminder.
Yes i've known band members and i've known kids that went to other schools because there is some effort put into the marching band...again I say not because of the kids but the leadership in our case the School of Music. Band members have nothing to do with it. They will go where they are led. And HBCU's have nothing to do with it. there are multiple dynamic styles of play, involvement and marching. And I dont think the BOD has a style or customs.

I dont think im in the minority her either.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 30, 2018 6:43 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:17 pm
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Yes i've known band members and i've known kids that went to other schools because there is some effort put into the marching band...again I say not because of the kids but the leadership in our case the School of Music. Band members have nothing to do with it. They will go where they are led. And HBCU's have nothing to do with it. there are multiple dynamic styles of play, involvement and marching. And I dont think the BOD has a style or customs.

Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:17 pm
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Maybe you aren't in the minority, but that doesn't mean you are right. Think of how many thousands in NC still think UNC runs a clean program. Heck, even some on here.
Last edited by NewApp on Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”