Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Starting QB

The Rock
School: Appalachian State

Re: Starting QB

Unread post by The Rock » Mon May 28, 2018 9:30 pm

Heard from a defensive coach that this will be the best defensive team we have ever had... that is pretty exciting to think about.
He Also said he thought Thomas be be fine. He took what the defense was giving him, made smart decisions and if nothing was open, he could tuck it and run.

Hopefully if we get our o-line to gel, we will be in good shape

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 30, 2018 8:00 am

The Rock wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:30 pm
Heard from a defensive coach that this will be the best defensive team we have ever had... that is pretty exciting to think about.
He Also said he thought Thomas be be fine. He took what the defense was giving him, made smart decisions and if nothing was open, he could tuck it and run.

Thanks to our recently departed Defensive Coordinator's recruiting over the past few years.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:02 am

No doubt Sloan was a great recruiter. Hopefully we don't miss a beat though with the quality staff we have.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed May 30, 2018 10:04 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:00 am
The Rock wrote:

Thanks to our recently departed Defensive Coordinator's recruiting over the past few years.
If you mean Sloan, sure. Woody didn't really recruit.

Also our remaining defensive coaches have recruited (and developed) a lot of those players too.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 30, 2018 11:33 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:04 am
NewApp wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Also our remaining defensive coaches have recruited (and developed) a lot of those players too.
1. Don't you think Woody's reputation and character played a role in who decided to sign
2. Don't you think Woody set the tone for what type player we wanted?

I do, but I could be wrong as I never met Coach Sloan but have Woody a few times.

I just know that over the season, we will see how much we miss Coach Woody.

Also glad we were able to keep the core members of the staff.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:55 am

I didn't know Coach Woody either but it is my understanding his style of management was very "inclusive." That is a good thing for transition and consistency. I love the confidence of a DC saying this will be our best unit ever but if we achieve that coming off the turnover we have to replace in the defense, I'm going to be amazed...and over joyed!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed May 30, 2018 11:58 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:33 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:04 am
NewApp wrote:
The Rock wrote:

1. Don't you think Woody's reputation and character played a role in who decided to sign
2. Don't you think Woody set the tone for what type player we wanted?

I do, but I could be wrong as I never met Coach Sloan but have Woody a few times.

I just know that over the season, we will see how much we miss Coach Woody.

Also glad we were able to keep the core members of the staff.
Certainly yes on 2, probably yes to a lesser extent on 1.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed May 30, 2018 12:01 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:55 am
I didn't know Coach Woody either but it is my understanding his style of management was very "inclusive." That is a good thing for transition and consistency. I love the confidence of a DC saying this will be our best unit ever but if we achieve that coming off the turnover we have to replace in the defense, I'm going to be amazed...and over joyed!
FWIW, didn't mention this earlier in discussing Satt's comments but he sounded very confident in the defense also. We actually didn't talk that much about the D, not because they aren't good but because there just don't seem to be any real question marks there. His comments were basically just matter-of-fact that we're going to be really good on D again, and then moved on to the new players on offense.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:17 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:01 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:55 am
FWIW, didn't mention this earlier in discussing Satt's comments but he sounded very confident in the defense also. We actually didn't talk that much about the D, not because they aren't good but because there just don't seem to be any real question marks there. His comments were basically just matter-of-fact that we're going to be really good on D again, and then moved on to the new players on offense.
That is REALLY good to hear!!!!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed May 30, 2018 12:38 pm

Awesome to hear. I have great confidence in our coaches. Here's to not missing a beat and finding out that our current players and current coaches find even more success than their predecessors.

Go! Fight! Win APPS!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed May 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Replacing a 20-year DC with a first-year DC will be a big question mark. Doesn't mean I don't think Brown can do it, but Woody had a knack for calling the right plays almost all of the time. That's something you can't be reassured of until the games.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed May 30, 2018 4:29 pm

Regarding Brown, I think he has a ton of upside potential. He has tangibles, size, arm strength and speed that can't be taught. However, he appears young and in need of additional development and coaching. That will take time. In the meantime, I like Thomas to be our leader. He can be a stud.

For anyone that needs to see an example, watch Stephen Brown's Hudl vs UGA's Justin Fields HS tapes. There is a significant difference in their form and footwork. Brown has the size, speed and arm, and can chuck it with strength on the run but his form needs a lot of work. No doubt that will come over time but he definitely needs to develop. This is not even mentioning what was said previously about the speed and complexity of the college game.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:49 am

I can see Zac being utilized more than we did Taylor in the run pass option. I wouldn't be surprised if Zac puts up some good rushing numbers in addition to efficient passing. If our oline can gel, we just might have another 10 win season in our sights. I don't see anything short of 8-4.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:26 am

I actually like the fact that the relatively inexperienced QBs will get a chance to play against an elite team right out of the gate. Penn State's defense may be a more typical big bruising B1G style of play and not as speedy as an SEC style, but the size, strength and skill will be bigger and better than anything in the SunBelt.

It's going to be interesting to see what comes out of fall camp and I hope both Thomas and Brown (if he's not red shirting) get a look at Penn State.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu May 31, 2018 9:33 am

Thomas certainly didn't look overwhelmed when he came in against UGA last year and in limited playing time over the season looked darn good. If the OL can jell quickly Apps offense should be good. Lots of unproven talent at WR so hopefully the QB and WR's can get on the same page quickly and App's RB's can stay a little healthier than last season as a group.

This should be a fun year...….

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 31, 2018 12:08 pm

I saw Brown play in the Shrine Bowl , seems to be a good long term prospect and I'm hoping he redshirts.The ECU QB recruit, in contrast , looked like Roman Gabriel , that day anyway.I'm excited to see what Zac can do which of course is dependent on the O-line.It's going to be a good year.

ViewCrew87

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:54 pm

Will be interesting to see leadership develop with the O early on. Last season they looked very lethargic through most first halves before clicking the last part of the season. Who's going to step up and own it this year?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”