Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCC - 6:00pm

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNCC - 6:00pm

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:38 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:38 pm
If you look closely you will see 16 people are talking about this.....that pretty much covers about half of their fan base

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:38 pm
That is indeed a bold statement. I wonder if the niners will even score a point.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:36 pm

Take the temperature when toe meets leather, cut it in half, and that's how much App will be favored by.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:58 am

Predictions like this aren't very bold when there's no skin in the outcome. If things go as they easily could and we win by 30, nothing happens other than a few of our fans will remind him(?) of the tweet.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:01 am

97APP wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:58 am
Predictions like this aren't very bold when there's no skin in the outcome. If things go as they easily could and we win by 30, nothing happens other than a few of our fans will remind him(?) of the tweet.
Yeah we don't need another UMass game like last year. Take care of business early during this game and do what everyone is expecting us to do (blow them out by 2+ TD's). Keep it moving. We will show them what a strong traveling fan base looks like and reiterate how far they still need to grow to play catch up both on and off the field. I respect the pride in their fans but they need to earn their place in line. I find it very similar to how ECU looked down on us (and still does) when we first jumped onto the FBS scene. Well you see what one bad hire will do to a football program...

Charfan
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Charfan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:18 pm

Looking forward to this despite the fact we will be big underdogs. Losing to App will not deter our fan base any more than losing to Eastern Michigan or Pembroke did. I’m just happy to have a big game at home. And although we have had higher profile teams than App St. come play us at home like Marshall and Southern Miss, I still consider this to be the biggest game we have ever had due to the fact that it’s an in state school and I actually know some App people!

I will not be upset if App fans have an unusually large presence. Hopefully that will motivate some of our students and other fair weather community members to get off their back sides in the future. Just be sure and lift the seat if you use a stall in the restroom and no sneaking in chew and moonshine.

As far as accommodations remember you guys can stay in downtown Charlotte and ride the train to the game if you’re not too scared of the big bad city. They have simplified instructions on navigating public transit on the Cats website.

Don’t forget to travel in groups! You must not forget that UNC Charlotte is a concrete lined urban hell scape and you need to be careful!

Or is it out in the boonies near Concord somewhere?? Damn I forget.

In all seriousness looking forward to hosting the Black and Gold. Here’s to a good game for the fans either way it goes.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Charfan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:18 pm
Looking forward to this despite the fact we will be big underdogs. Losing to App will not deter our fan base any more than losing to Eastern Michigan or Pembroke did. I’m just happy to have a big game at home. And although we have had higher profile teams than App St. come play us at home like Marshall and Southern Miss, I still consider this to be the biggest game we have ever had due to the fact that it’s an in state school and I actually know some App people!

I will not be upset if App fans have an unusually large presence. Hopefully that will motivate some of our students and other fair weather community members to get off their back sides in the future. Just be sure and lift the seat if you use a stall in the restroom and no sneaking in chew and moonshine.

As far as accommodations remember you guys can stay in downtown Charlotte and ride the train to the game if you’re not too scared of the big bad city. They have simplified instructions on navigating public transit on the Cats website.

Don’t forget to travel in groups! You must not forget that UNC Charlotte is a concrete lined urban hell scape and you need to be careful!

In all seriousness looking forward to hosting the Black and Gold. Here’s to a good game for the fans either way it goes.
In all seriousness a very large number of App fans were born and raised in Charlotte. Large numbers also come from Winston-Salem Greensboro and Raleigh. I don't think cities bother us. Our team and fans come into this game with a chip on the shoulder born of your brethern's disrespect and geographic ignorance. You may not be disappointed when you lose but if we don't win by a large number we will. And yes we bought way more tickets than the allocation to us.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:13 pm

“Higher profile teams ....like Marshall and Southern Miss”? Well there was Randy Moss , and that Farve guy....but in 2018 I think we’ve leveled that playing field. In September I’m confident we will level others. See you then.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:14 am

Charfan wrote:

Uptown*

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 am

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:14 am
Charfan wrote:

Uptown*
Natives say "downtown"......

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Born and raised, man. I live in PMW now. I work Uptown. It’s Uptown.

http://wfae.org/post/faq-city-why-downt ... n#stream/0

https://www.charlottefive.com/why-is-do ... ed-uptown/

Granted, I recall saying downtown growing up. I’m not sure when I made the transition. The branding couldn’t be more unequivocal nowadays though. It’s on signs all over the place.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:42 pm

I was born/raised and still live in Charlotte. As I said natives call it downtown. Anyone born after 1975 call it uptown. Civic boosters want it to be called uptown to make Charlotte more cosmopolitan. I lived the debate. Don't need a POdcast to explain it. Hence, I should say older natives still refer to "downtown "

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:31 pm

I thought it was called Center City, or something like that.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:51 am

Whatever you call it it takes 20-30 minutes to get there from UNCC.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:18 am

City Center is an area within the "Uptown" area.

I'm not originally from Charlotte, but I have lived in this area since 2000 and I've worked in "Uptown" since 2009. Most do call it "Uptown" these days but I hardly think it's a big deal. I correct people occasionally but I do it jokingly. When I say most call it "uptown" just remember that, in Charlotte, most of the folks are from somewhere else. :-)

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:45 am

It's uptown...

If anyone knows the definitive answer it has to be Tom Hanchett, staff historian at the Levine Museum of the New South.

Here is what he had to say on the matter:

“There is a two-part answer: The first part is rooted in geographic reality. In the mid-1700s, the nation’s trading path from the southeast to the Atlantic ran along a ridge top.

“One of those Indian trading paths in Charlotte came to be Tryon Street and it crossed another that became Trade Street. This was the highest elevation point and the city grew around it. When people came to this point, they were going ‘up.’

“The second part is more recent. On September 23, 1974, a city council proclamation declared that the shopping and business district in the center city be officially named ‘Uptown Charlotte.’ The push for this came from local merchant and booster, Jack Wood. Wood argued that Uptown name was in use in the 50s and needed to be restored.”

Now you know.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:21 pm

High Point got its name from being the highest point on the North Carolina railroad that runs between Morehead City and Charlotte. (At the time Goldsboro to Charlotte). Then as a New Deal project the tracks were lowered which is why High Point has the tracks in a ditch now and one has to walk down a flight of steps or two to get Amtrak at the High Point Station.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:06 pm

This should be a fun game... now if we can only figure out the tailgating.
bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:13 pm
“Higher profile teams ....like Marshall and Southern Miss”? Well there was Randy Moss , and that Farve guy....but in 2018 I think we’ve leveled that playing field. In September I’m confident we will level others. See you then.
Yea, gotta question the guy if he thinks Marshall and SoMiss are higher profile teams ... it must be a CUSA thing ...

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Marshall had 3 wins I think the year UNCC beat them at Marshall. Not sure about USM.

Has UNCC beat anyone with a winning record since moving to FBS?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”