New Offensive Coordinator?

appgrad

New Offensive Coordinator?

Unread post by appgrad » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 pm

This is assuming sources are correct and Satterfield gets the job tomorrow or Friday - it opens up one spot on the staff in OC. Who would you like to see get that gig? Some of you guys might be more privy to former assistants, or assistants SS has worked with who might be available.

I don't know what he makes - but I wonder if Galloway would be interested? Might be a pay cut...

Based on what he did with the offensive staff last year, honestly wouldn't be surprised if he goes outside the program. There seem to be so many good OCs emerging out of HS ranks, and small colleges, that I could see him going that route. Clemson picked Chad Morris straight out of his HS job, and now he's considered an HC candidate.

The impression I got with Scott was that he was a clinic junkie - worked a lot, attended a lot, so I think a benefit of his experience there, and at FIU and Toledo, will be a much bigger pool of coaching talent to choose from.

This could all be incredibly premature, and assuming he hires an OC and doesn't pull double duty. Give me your thoughts.

moehler

Re: New Offensive Coordinator?

Unread post by moehler » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:46 pm

I just assumed that he would double as both OC and HC, especially, if we are moving up.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:51 pm

moehler wrote:I just assumed that he would double as both OC and HC, especially, if we are moving up.
Why would he increase his work load if we are moving up? I think you are even required to hire more full-time staff.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:50 am

I dont think its required he hires an OC, when Jimbo Fisher took over the HC position at Florida State, he became both the HC/OC coordinator, and is still the HC/OC coordinator.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:54 am

moehler wrote:I dont think its required he hires an OC, when Jimbo Fisher took over the HC position at Florida State, he became both the HC/OC coordinator, and is still the HC/OC coordinator.
I agree, but then that's part of FSU's problem in my opinion. I'd like to see ASU have a separate HC and OC.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:02 am

MountainMan wrote:
moehler wrote:I dont think its required he hires an OC, when Jimbo Fisher took over the HC position at Florida State, he became both the HC/OC coordinator, and is still the HC/OC coordinator.
I agree, but then that's part of FSU's problem in my opinion. I'd like to see ASU have a separate HC and OC.

Yeah...I don't doubt it's a possibility. I just feel like a first time coach should focus on just that. The track record for doing both isn't great.

JTApps1
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:54 am

Chip Kelly does a pretty good job of calling plays and being a HC. Not saying Scott would be able to handle both, but its not uncommon in college.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

skjellyfetti

Unread post by skjellyfetti » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:03 am

I think Satterfield would be too comfortable calling plays from the booth to move down to field level and start calling plays, but... I don't know.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:52 pm

skjellyfetti wrote:I think Satterfield would be too comfortable calling plays from the booth to move down to field level and start calling plays, but... I don't know.
Obviously - he'll be on the sideline if he's the Head Coach - so you bring up an interesting point. He may not be comfortable handling every play call from that perspective, and will want an OC with a bird's eye view.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:29 pm

So back on topic. And the winner is?????????????
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:51 pm

He kind of hinted today in the press conference that he would not be the taking on both jobs so it'll be interesting to see who comes in to take that job.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:03 pm

JTApps1 wrote:Chip Kelly does a pretty good job of calling plays and being a HC. Not saying Scott would be able to handle both, but its not uncommon in college.
He may call plays, but he has an offensive coordinator:

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =204770343

Watauga72

Unread post by Watauga72 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Mike Gundy at Oklahoma State tried to do both. Figured out it wasn't working so he went with an OC. He felt he couldn't get a feel for what the defenses were doing from field level.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm

I am a big Scott fan but one thing has bothered me just a little. Your best salesman is not always your best sales manager and in the process you lose your best salesman. With that said I trust Scott to make the right decision.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Just saw from a reliable source that Scott has said that he WILL hire an OC. It does kind of surprise me because its a way to safe some money and have more to spend some where else. So who is it going to be. Someone from the current staff? I know he's been friends with the Justin Stepp and Stepp worked on the Clemson staf for three years.????

Watauga72

Unread post by Watauga72 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:41 am

Not every assistant coach is successful calling the shots as head coach, but you never know until you try. Let's give Satterfield some time to prove himself before doubting he can succeed.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:36 am

AppFan11 wrote:Just saw from a reliable source that Scott has said that he WILL hire an OC. It does kind of surprise me because its a way to safe some money and have more to spend some where else. So who is it going to be. Someone from the current staff? I know he's been friends with the Justin Stepp and Stepp worked on the Clemson staf for three years.????
Hiring an OC is a very good decision. Trying to cut corners by multi-tasking would be a dangerous way to save money. SS needs to focus on head coaching duties. He can participate in the strategic development and make sure that the new OC is on target, but as a first year HC, he really should be trying to multi-task.

Good decision for Satterfield.

AppState89

Unread post by AppState89 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:14 am

There is still money out there for an OC. Scott took Jerry's salary (little less, but pretty much the same). Not sure how much Scott was making, but his old salary is still out there for an OC.
AppState89 AKA Robert Martin :D :D

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:27 am

Yosef84 wrote:
AppFan11 wrote:Just saw from a reliable source that Scott has said that he WILL hire an OC. It does kind of surprise me because its a way to safe some money and have more to spend some where else. So who is it going to be. Someone from the current staff? I know he's been friends with the Justin Stepp and Stepp worked on the Clemson staf for three years.????
Hiring an OC is a very good decision. Trying to cut corners by multi-tasking would be a dangerous way to save money. SS needs to focus on head coaching duties. He can participate in the strategic development and make sure that the new OC is on target, but as a first year HC, he really should be trying to multi-task.

Good decision for Satterfield.
Yes, it's a grteat decision. The MMB has tons of bitching archives to support this. Lots of whining and crying over the years about not having an OC. Sheesh!
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”